The Student Room Group

Did your life get better when you went to university?

I'm in my last year of school and am absolutely hating it, just wanting to go to uni! Did your life get better when you went to uni, or remain relatively unchanged? The only way I'm slogging through thi last year is telling myself that things will get better in September :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It didn't change as much as I thought it would so I did get a little depressed when I realised that things were still more or less the same but in general, I'd say I enjoy it more now than I did at school.
Original post by Snowfreeze
I'm in my last year of school and am absolutely hating it, just wanting to go to uni! Did your life get better when you went to uni, or remain relatively unchanged? The only way I'm slogging through thi last year is telling myself that things will get better in September :smile:

It got better - much better.

But don't assume that it will happen by default. If you want to improve your life then you have to put the work in to improving it. Otherwise it will stay the same.

University is an opportunity to get a fresh start if you hated school or college. But you've still got to take that opportunity.
Reply 3
It gets better if you make the most of the massive fresh start that you'll probably never have the advantage of getting again. Just throw yourself into university life, get involved, work hard when you need to and things will get better.
Reply 4
I love it.
However some people develop depression. Depends.
No.
Reply 6
Original post by + polarity -
No.

Basically this
Reply 7
If you're a loner now why would you expect it to be any different?
Reply 8
I'm also a student really looking forward for uni, but probably because I am a foreign student and would be travelling to a different country, it will always be fairly new in most aspects- i hope. But I think it's always a really rewarding opportunity
Reply 9
Generally people who hated school take advantage of the fresh start at Uni, but then the guys who loved their life at school struggle when they get to uni! That's what I've generally made of it.
Reply 10
Original post by Notethis
If you're a loner now why would you expect it to be any different?

Bit of a moronic answer
Reply 11
Original post by Shack93
Bit of a moronic answer

It was a question. The clue is the question mark.
Yes my life changed.

But I think this only happened during my third year. That's when I started to get involved with the volunteering society, rep work and so on. I made more of an effort for social events and I generally had a much better time and still kept up a high 2.1! I'm so sad that I essentially wasted two years, however. If I could go back again I would definitely make an effort from the start!

Don't expect things to come your way though. That's the mistake I made. I've graduated now and I miss university life and all of my friends that I've made... quite frankly wish it never ended!
It has been better, but then anything was better than my gap year when I didn't have anything to do most of the time and hardly had any contact with people my age nor a social life (as my friends were all off to uni/art college)
Reply 14
Original post by Notethis
It was a question. The clue is the question mark.

Yes but your question was an answer to someone else's question. Now you made a moronic statement.
Reply 15
It has to get worse for a while before it can get better. Moving away is always **** and it does take at least a year to settle in. But it's worth it because your life is much more interesting
As I'm drifting toward the terminus of student status, I've realised that it was over hyped, and mentally hard. My degree has been dull and difficult, and my social life peaked at the end of first year, and has deteriorated ever since. More questions about who I am, and where I'm going have arisen than answers, and I really don't need it. But hey, maybe it's just me.
definitely i earned more experiences and understood that i can live alone {without dying ;p} but better? dont know probably not,even though i registered to a free uni gym and i got buff :P
Reply 18
No.

I should have done a year out and then gone to uni.
Immeasurably so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending