Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the point of life?

Announcements Posted on

I have been thinking quite dangerously the last few years, and with recent pressures it's all building up a little much, so I just wanted to come here and vent a little.

I see no point in existence, we are born, we live and then we die. The end, that's it, we just exist, I just exist.

Why bother living? No one really benefits from life, everyone dies and their influence on the world and perception of life dies with them.

I have no religious or spiritual beliefs therefore I find myself constantly questioning the point in life.

Why live life when there is no outcome? Why does anything exist?

My mind is full of **** at the moment!!

I'm also quite depressed, I feel like my colleagues dislike me, I feel like I'm drifting away from my loved ones and my friends. Could that be down to my views on life?

I genuinely see no point in the existence of anything, and it is seriously messing with my mind.

Can anyone provide me with some advice or point me in the right direction?

I wouldn't call this a question of faith and what I believe in... I am a scientist, I became interested in science to learn about life and how things work, to understand the world I guess.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We were chosen to be born. We only live once in a lifetime, why don't we enjoy our time whilst living in this world?

I want to work in the music industry when I am older.
    "I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't."

Who can stop me!!!?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have been thinking quite dangerously the last few years, and with recent pressures it's all building up a little much, so I just wanted to come here and vent a little.

I see no point in existence, we are born, we live and then we die. The end, that's it, we just exist, I just exist.

Why bother living? No one really benefits from life, everyone dies and their influence on the world and perception of life dies with them.

I have no religious or spiritual beliefs therefore I find myself constantly questioning the point in life.

Why live life when there is no outcome? Why does anything exist?

My mind is full of **** at the moment!!

I'm also quite depressed, I feel like my colleagues dislike me, I feel like I'm drifting away from my loved ones and my friends. Could that be down to my views on life?

I genuinely see no point in the existence of anything, and it is seriously messing with my mind.

Can anyone provide me with some advice or point me in the right direction?

I wouldn't call this a question of faith and what I believe in... I am a scientist, I became interested in science to learn about life and how things work, to understand the world I guess.
    I get what you mean, I feel the same way too, I get over it at times though but I still feel the same, basically, you just think of it as a piano piece, it's not the beginning or the end you want to hear, you want to hear the notes played inbetween. Then think about living forever, playing the notes again and again, you'll get bored of it, and stop playing the song yourself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The purpose of life? Reproduction/continuation of the species & diversifcation of the gene pool. Evolution is a biproduct of imperfect reproduction.

Setting that aside you should try your very best to enjoy your life.

(Original post by PaperBoy)
    We were chosen to be born. We only live once in a lifetime, why don't we enjoy our time whilst living in this world?

I want to work in the music industry when I am older.
    "I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't."

Who can stop me!!!?
    I feel there is no purpose in life, why live a life when there is no goal? Why does anything at all exist?

No one can stop you doing what you want to do. You obviously see a reason to live, I don't see a reason for life to exist.

(Original post by GunnerBill)
    The purpose of life? Reproduction/continuation of the species & diversifcation of the gene pool. Evolution is a biproduct of imperfect reproduction.

Setting that aside you should try your very best to enjoy your life.
    Yes of course, it's basic animal instinct.

I see everything from the molecular level, what is the point of the existence of the molecules that are the components of everything in existence?

Thank you for te advice, I shall try my best to enjoy life, I'm just finding it hard to do that, with emotional numbness and no enjoyment of any activity that contributes to the existence of anything.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been where you are now. I had a few months were I would obsess over this and look at the people around me in astonishment as they didn't seem to grasp the utter lack of purpose the world has. It's a frame of mind and as depressing as it is right now, I'm confident it'll pass for you.

Perhaps you lack this sense of purpose because you're not really happy where your life is at the moment or you're feeling a lot of pressure to attain something that you feel you may not succeed at. When I had have this persistent nagging question in the back of my mind reminding me how pointless our existence is I was going through those two things.

I'm in the medical sciences and have searched for spiritual/religious answers till I'm blue in the face, I think as scientists we'll never really find an answer to the purpose of existence that will fully satisfy our questions. Therefore, try as hard as you can to push aside the depressive, obsessive question and take in each moment as it comes. Good or bad. Eventually you'll be able to and just like everyone else experience the beauty life has to offer, be there a purpose or not.

If all else fails, resort to LSD.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The purpose of my life is to inspire/influence as many people as I can before I die.

The point of life is what you make of it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mac.Runner)
    I've been where you are now. I had a few months were I would obsess over this and look at the people around me in astonishment as they didn't seem to grasp the utter lack of purpose the world has. It's a frame of mind and as depressing as it is right now, I'm confident it'll pass for you.

Perhaps you lack this sense of purpose because you're not really happy where your life is at the moment or you're feeling a lot of pressure to attain something that you feel you may not succeed at. When I had have this persistent nagging question in the back of my mind reminding me how pointless our existence is I was going through those two things.

I'm in the medical sciences and have searched for spiritual/religious answers till I'm blue in the face, I think as scientists we'll never really find an answer to the purpose of existence that will fully satisfy our questions. Therefore, try as hard as you can to push aside the depressive, obsessive question and take in each moment as it comes. Good or bad. Eventually you'll be able to and just like everyone else experience the beauty life has to offer, be there a purpose or not.

If all else fails, resort to LSD.
    I can't believe i'm saying this, but that's a good point, provided you don't go overboard obviously.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wanna know,
    I wanna know
    Your name
    Your name, your name, your name
    Tell me why you gotta be anonymous??
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone feels like that sometimes, you just have to go with the flow, deal with whatever comes as best as you can!
    life's too short
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's entirely up to a person to give themselves purpose in life. Why would a person be so important as to inherit one at birth?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictorDeLost)
    The square root of life is eight something.....right?.....cos I've been try'na work it oooohhhh.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you want to achieve out of life is the purpose of your life.
    Don't waste it by worrying
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    end it and see what is on the other side.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm an atheist. I don't believe in an after life or conciousness beyond death. I believe we are biological "machines". But what ridiculously beautiful, complex, hilarious, stupid, amazing "machines" we are!

I am an engineering student, yet have appreciation for beauty in art, in nature and also in science.

Read novels. Listen to music. Cry. Laugh. Scream. Shout. Eat. Drink.

The answer is, THERE IS NO POINT! There simply isn't!

BUT

What does this mean? That we should kill ourselves, because there is no "reason" or "destination"?

Don't be so stupid.

You will miss out on so much. Life is an EXPERIENCE. There is no POINT! Point DOES NOT equal meaning. In fact, I think the very beauty of life and living it comes from the fact that there is no reason. We are free to do what we want to do, and experience what we want to experience.

My advice to you would be to travel. To dance. To do something simply because it is fun!
    Why do artists paint? Why do singers sing? Why do we research if not simply for curiosity?

You are 100% correct. Life is pointless and there is no "reason". Experience it, revel in it and know that you have the freedom to give something pointless and reasonless human meaning.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I guess the meaning of life is down to the individuals perception of life. I love science aswell, so for me the meaning of life is to learn all i can and find out new things and to understand what they mean.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    "What the meaning of human life may be I don’t know: I incline to suspect that it has none. All I know about it is that, to me at least, it is very amusing while it lasts." - H. L. Mencken
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    42 My friend, 42

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 23, 2012
New on TSR

THE world university rankings 2014-2015 revealed

Will they affect your uni choices?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.