The Student Room Group

Do post-graduate qualifications have any weight?

Dear all,

Another year has come by and I still have the desire to study and practice medicine. Since sixth form it has appealed to me, however I've continued with other interests. Almost every year the desire to study medicine has become stronger.

At GCSE I gained As and Bs (As in all core subjects) back in 2002/03 and straight Bs in 3 A-levels (maths, physics, english) and 2 AS levels (chemistry, geography). I went on to gain a 2.2 (unfortunately) in physics. After my first degree I gained an MSc with distinction and a very good pass in a post-graduate teaching certificate (PGCE - science teacher). I'm currently in the middle of a PhD, working with some world class institutions.

I am now studying chemistry and biology A-levels in my spare time, with the intention of completing them within a year. I will also be sitting the UKCAT exam.

I'm aware that most universities only look at degrees with a 2.1 grade or higher. Is this ignored with the addition of other post-graduate courses?

(On top of these academic achievements, I have a good range of other experiences - sports, music, jobs, teaching, medical work experience.)

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Reply 1
Original post by be your best
Dear all,

Another year has come by and I still have the desire to study and practice medicine. Since sixth form it has appealed to me, however I've continued with other interests. Almost every year the desire to study medicine has become stronger.

At GCSE I gained As and Bs (As in all core subjects) back in 2002/03 and straight Bs in 3 A-levels (maths, physics, english) and 2 AS levels (chemistry, geography). I went on to gain a 2.2 (unfortunately) in physics. After my first degree I gained an MSc with distinction and a very good pass in a post-graduate teaching certificate (PGCE - science teacher). I'm currently in the middle of a PhD, working with some world class institutions.

I am now studying chemistry and biology A-levels in my spare time, with the intention of completing them within a year. I will also be sitting the UKCAT exam.

I'm aware that most universities only look at degrees with a 2.1 grade or higher. Is this ignored with the addition of other post-graduate courses?

(On top of these academic achievements, I have a good range of other experiences - sports, music, jobs, teaching, medical work experience.)

Hey, well you obviously have a very strong academic background judging from your grades, postgraduate qualifications do carry a lot of weight and show your ability in your field at a very high level and the fact that you're doing a PhD swings the pendulum your way slightly.

UKCAT is also helpful along with your experience, however when you are interviewed, expect a massive grilling about the 2.2, they will want to know why that occurred and if there were any extenuating circumstances surrounding that. However, it's not the be all and end all, with a strong UKCAT, a MSc and being halfway through a PhD things could work out, just be prepared for the questions on your Undergrad degree. Hope this helps and good luck!
Reply 2

Unfortunately not, many medical schools will only look at your BSc result, even if you have a whole tonne of postgraduate qualifications.

That said, there are a select few which will consider postgrad qualifications in lieu of a 2:1 e.g. King's want a Merit at masters level, Warwick will disregard a 2:2 if you have a PhD etc.

If I were you, I'd start emailing around but also look at the GAMSAT unis e.g. Notts, SGUL, Peninsula, which will accept 2:2s with no problems. Good luck :yy:
Reply 3
Dear all,

Have you actually emailed any medical schools and asked them what you should do? I would have done that before starting extra A levels etc...

Most medical schools won't disregard a 2ii even with a maters, PhD or extra A levels. It may seem harsh but it's just a way of cutting down their numbers. Some will however, e.g. Kings, so you need to do some research. You should think about the GAMSAT as well - if you get a good score you'll get an interview despite the 2ii. The GAMSAT is used by Notts, St George's, Peninsula and (i think) Swansea.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by theatrical
Have you actually emailed any medical schools and asked them what you should do? I would have done that before starting extra A levels etc...

Most medical schools won't disregard a 2ii even with a maters, PhD or extra A levels. It may seem harsh but it's just a way of cutting down their numbers. Some will however, e.g. Kings, so you need to do some research. You should think about the GAMSAT as well - if you get a good score you'll get an interview despite the 2ii. The GAMSAT is used by Notts, St George's, Peninsula and (i think) Swansea.

Thanks for all replies so far.

I'm in the process of writing to some universitied asking them what I would require to do, to send in an acceptable application. I think some of them call it a 'pre-CV'.

I would also be looking to apply for the 5-year undergraduate courses if it means I have a chance of being successful, even though it's going to cost more.

I did sit the GAMSAT exam some 3 years ago and achieved a very high mark. Unfortunately I didn't get beyond interview stage.

(With the A-levels, I'm looking to sit them regardless of whether I get into medicine or not. It'll prove useful for what I'm currently doing now, albeit I wont be under pressure to complete them in such a short time.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending