The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How can people think homosexuality is a choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bad8oy
When looking at same sex sexual attraction, and not necessarily sexual experience, the figures have also changed over the ten-year period, with women showing the most significant difference. In 1990, 93.3% of men said they had only ever had sexual attraction towards the opposite sex, whilst by 2000 this had fallen to 91.9%. 93.6% of women in 1990 said they had only ever been attracted to men, but by 2000 this had dropped to 88.3%. From this we can therefore deduce that 11.7% of women and 8.1% of men have felt a sexual attraction towards the same sex at least once in their lives.

there these figures state that it is unnatural. if it was natural surely there would be a larger proportion of the population that had gay feelings. The way children were raised in the past probably had alot to do with it. In recent times parents have become soft and let there children do as they please. So gayness is something that you have choice over. But the fact is it is unnatural. and secondly people are gay because of the way they are brought up, in no way are they gay because of genetics.

I have no idea how in the world you came to that conclusion based on those statistics. The percentage of blonde people in Sudan is probably extremely low as well, but it doesn't mean being blonde is unnatural; although, there really is no such thing as "natural" or "unnatural".
Reply 361
Original post by bad8oy
When looking at same sex sexual attraction, and not necessarily sexual experience, the figures have also changed over the ten-year period, with women showing the most significant difference. In 1990, 93.3% of men said they had only ever had sexual attraction towards the opposite sex, whilst by 2000 this had fallen to 91.9%. 93.6% of women in 1990 said they had only ever been attracted to men, but by 2000 this had dropped to 88.3%. From this we can therefore deduce that 11.7% of women and 8.1% of men have felt a sexual attraction towards the same sex at least once in their lives.

there these figures state that it is unnatural. if it was natural surely there would be a larger proportion of the population that had gay feelings. The way children were raised in the past probably had alot to do with it. In recent times parents have become soft and let there children do as they please. So gayness is something that you have choice over. But the fact is it is unnatural. and secondly people are gay because of the way they are brought up, in no way are they gay because of genetics.

Do you not think these figures more accurately represent growing acceptance of homosexuality, rather than increases in the natural levels of homosexuality?

Besides, Kinsey, as the most famous researcher in this field, found that 37% of men had engaged in homosexual and heterosexual activities, could behaviour reported by over a third of the population really be described as "unnatural"?
Wow NYU, you're brutal ... :tongue:
Reply 363
I can understand how you feel. What people really need to learn are two things, it's caused by genetics and if you really want someone to blame blame straight people that keep having gay babies >.< it's ridiculous! people don't choose their sexuality! :angry:
Original post by Aust1n
Pathetic to see all the anti gays negging all the decent posts. Disgusting.

Agreed. The person who negged you just proved your point.

On topic: I don't think it's a choice.

I listened to a radio show talking about homosexuality today. How society is still homophobic in some parts and gay people are very relucatant to come out for fear of ridicule and prejudice. I really feel sorry for people that are bullied for their homosexuality and wish for a time when people aren't pressured into conforming to whatever people deem the 'norm' for society. Sadly that day seems quite a long way away.
Reply 365
Original post by bad8oy

Your assumptions are flawed. For LGB in the UK the figure is around 6%, but a further

See this survey here
http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/uploaded_files/research/research35_so_explored.pdf

Summary findings
In this sample, approaching six per cent of people identified themselves as LGB and almost 91 per cent as heterosexual/straight.

If other aspects of sexual orientation are included alongside those who identify themselves as LGB, such as having sex with, or being sexually attracted to someone of the same sex, the figure rises to 14 percent.

So that is another 8% (14%-6%) who either have sex with someone of the same sex, but do not identify themselves as LGB, or have a same-sex attraction. You can quickly see there are people out there who have same-sex attractions who refuse to identify, presumably for reasons of stigma, as LGB. Perhaps the bisexual community is quite a bit bigger than anyone had thought.

This was data collected for the Government's Equality and Human Rights Commission. It's also mirrored in another survey in the US.
Reply 366
Original post by bad8oy
she is right dont message me back because you are irritating and go buy some skinny jeans lol they will complete your look

You're such a crap troll (or either very stupid). Why bother?
Original post by bad8oy

If gayness is something people have a choice over, then why don't I have a choice to not be gay? I'm attracted to males, and that's just the way I am.

Oh, and the word 'natural' is really just a synonym of 'possible' - if something is possible in the framework of the physical laws, then by definition it is natural. Being rarer doesn't make a phenomenon more unnatural. It just makes it more rare.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Holby_fanatic
We do not have a "gay gene". As said before, that is like saying we have an "obese gene" that determines whether we are obese or not. It is all down to environmental factors, i.e. the sexual preferences people have are down to how they are brought up = CHOICE!

you are seriously over simplifying genetics and the combination of different genes overall effect.
Reply 369
i personally dont think that homosexuality is a choice, and that you shouldnt really have to care what this man says anyway. just agree to disagree and leave it. although i do see why youre angry. just feel sorry for him that he wont understand or is even willing to try the way you do :tongue:
Original post by Holby_fanatic
We do not have a "gay gene". As said before, that is like saying we have an "obese gene" that determines whether we are obese or not. It is all down to environmental factors, i.e. the sexual preferences people have are down to how they are brought up = CHOICE!

EVEN IF they were environmental factors (which i seriously doubt seeing as children brought up buy gay couples do not automatically become gay and there are plenty of gay people in evetremely homophobic societies).. a child does not CHOOSE its development. it still would not make it a choice.
I agree that some people can't help their own sexual preferences and there is nothing wrong with that, they should be free to express themselves. But I have noticed that it has become somewhat of a fad to claim that you're either gay or bisexual and I think that is why some people don't think that people are born that way and that they choose to be like that because they think it's cool. I think that those people who are doing it just to seem interesting are making it difficult for people who are actually gay/bisexual/lesbian/etc. because others won't understand their situation and will only think they are doing it for the attention.

Also sorry if anyone else has made this point, I didn't go through all the comments.
Reply 372
Original post by Bellissima
EVEN IF they were environmental factors (which i seriously doubt seeing as children brought up buy gay couples do not automatically become gay and there are plenty of gay people in evetremely homophobic societies).. a child does not CHOOSE its development. it still would not make it a choice.

Can't be environment can it. Glee hasn't been on the TV that long, and caveman have no books, religion, writing, philosophy, TV, radio, rock-n-roll, and hadn't experienced the sexual revolution of the 60s. All stupid and idiotic things which some say might be responsible for people being gay.

I mean, gay people have been around since the start of recorded history, in all regions of the world. Who the hell would choose to be gay in Iran or Uganda? If you had a choice, that is not one you would make, because the authorities in Iran don't think it's cool, they think .... get me a rope :mad:

So I agree with you that environmental factors offer a pretty poor explanation - well, pretty much no explanation at all.
Reply 373
Original post by bad8oy
:lovie: i love you too xxxx

Is it impertinent to ask why you think it's unnatural?

Is this because your religion tells you it's not right, or do you not follow a religion?

What have you heard, read or seen or felt that made you feel this way?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 374
There's some studies done on there being an actual gay gene and you can find them http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=Genetic+factors+increase+fecundity+in+female+maternal+relatives+of+Bisexual+men+as+in+homosexuals.&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=qZJBT62rK8Kk0QXRypWPDw&ved=0CBsQgQMwAA
It's quite interesting.

The only problem is that it does not account for pansexuality et cetera. **** labels anyway. Who cares?
Reply 375
Original post by bad8oy
i am a muslim :bhangra:

So it's just your religion which tells you it's wrong. That's fine.

As long as it isn't a valid scientifically-based empirically valid reason :tongue: :biggrin:
Reply 376
charlie-sheen-winning.png
Original post by Miracle Day
I just had a heated argument with some guy, and my frustration is what angered me to write this. He told me, for accepting gays and being cool with them, and treating them as I would anyone else I'm not a proper Christian - infact probably not one at all - because the Bible condemns them. He says we should all use Jesus as a model human.

I tell him about Lady Gaga born this way and he was adamant people aren't born gay, but they're brought up fooled.

I then ask how homosexuality can be a choice, when homophobic areas have higher suicide rates and by his logic surely they could just change back to being straight if it was a choice. He then says he wishes more homosexuals would commit suicide, and that homosexuals don't think they can turn straight.

So I tell him, Jesus tells us to love all.. so saying that is going against Christianity etc. Then he quotes Sodomy and Gamora.

He's obviously not just a closed minded pre-teen.. he knows his stuff. I just can't comprehend how people can believe it.

If any of you believe it's a choice.. help me out and tell me why please.

Edit: I'm just so angry right now.. sorry.. someone restore my faith in humanity

Well basically because all there is is the majority of gay people saying 'it's not a choice' and most straight people being somewhere in the middle.

One could easily point to periods in time where it appears that either less people would be gay, or where gay people managed to marry, have babies and live a straight life.

And also bum sex in prisons/on ships etc.

Basically, no one has proved or found what makes people gay, so apart from opinion it's all up in the air.
I never made a conscious decision to be straight.

Exactly the same can be applied for gay people.

I'm not going to go down the route of 'nobody would choose to be gay', because that's pretty darn offensive, but we certainly don't have control of our sexuality - concious control, that is.

No amount of test attempting to prove the contrary will convince me.
Reply 379
Original post by Gales
I'm happy to hear that, it means you'll never live in the UK. Happy days! :biggrin: :woo:

I'm saddened lewis :frown: I still like britain, despite the gay laws.

Original post by Wickersham
Honestly, I don't get why anyone would have any reason to be &quot;deeply annoyed&quot; by legalizing same-sex marriage.

Also, ironically enough, my favourite gay series is set in Pittsburgh. :smile: Go figure!

It's not ironic really, this city is getting worse. I saw ANOTHER church with a gay rainbow flag outside. And to think that this is my OWN neighborhood.

Latest

Trending

Trending