The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How can people think homosexuality is a choice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Maybe higher HIV rates in the US Gay community is down to your inferior education? For example half of you guys couldnt even name a European country besides England and France.
Reply 102
Original post by a_stitch_in_time
and yet you chose to respond to this person instead of my post

What post? :s
Original post by Gales

The hell was that.
Original post by Miracle Day
If it's not a conscious choice surely it's not a choice?

Thanks for your input anyway

I'd say its an unconscious choice.

Its like when you sometimes become attracted to a person who you would otherwise have no attraction to, and you wonder, what is it about them.

I refuse to accept there's a gay gene aswell, the whole notion is hugely ironic.
Reply 105
Maybe higher HIV rates in the US Gay community is down to your inferior education? For example half of you guys couldnt even name a European country besides England and France.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_Index. Hmm, yeah - 'inferior' education. Besides, how many states can the majority of europe name and point to on a map, huh? Also, geography isn't everything.
Original post by DYKWIA
So clearly gay people lead a different lifestyle in one way or another that is more dangerous.

No, it indicates that an older generation of gay people engaged in unprotected sex. The younger. Generations are more aware of STD and are using protection. These generations, I believe, will reduce the gap. Future generations shouldn't be tarred because of previous ones.
O
Original post by DYKWIA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_Index. Hmm, yeah - 'inferior' education. Besides, how many states can the majority of europe name and point to on a map, huh? Also, geography isn't everything.

The common American couldnt even name the four Uk countries. 4 vs 50/52?
Reply 108
The common American couldnt even name the four Uk countries. 4 vs 50/52?

Umm, the four uk countries: 1. UK 2. UK 3. UK 4. UK. britain is one country? I'm pretty sure people can name plenty of european countries though. Also, again - our education system doesn't suck and anyways, geography is not the most important class in the world.

Original post by Darrenh800
No, it indicates that an older generation of gay people engaged in unprotected sex. The younger. Generations are more aware of STD and are using protection. These generations, I believe, will reduce the gap. Future generations shouldn't be tarred because of previous ones.

The same applies to older straight people.

So I tell him, Jesus tells us to love all.. so saying that is going against Christianity etc. Then he quotes Sodomy and Gamora.

Just out of interest, what was your response to this point?
Original post by DYKWIA
Umm, the four uk countries: 1. UK 2. UK 3. UK 4. UK. britain is one country? I'm pretty sure people can name plenty of european countries though. Also, again - our education system doesn't suck and anyways, geography is not the most important class in the world.

England, Wales, Scotland, North Ireland.

Great Britain and Uk is just a name that unites them?
Original post by Dreamweaver
Just out of interest, what was your response to this point?

Ignored him.
Original post by DYKWIA

Wow, hope this is a joke.

Naming European countries, and naming states of the US is not the same.
this place is juvenile.
Reply 114
England, Wales, Scotland, North Ireland.

Great Britain and Uk is just a name that unites them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_United_Nations I'm pretty sure uk is a country, not the others, although I admit i often use england and uk interchangeably.

Original post by arichmond64
Wow, hope this is a joke.

Naming European countries, and naming states of the US is not the same.

But the US is a large, diverse country - it is hard enough learning about the whole of the US, especially when the US is the largest and most important country in the world.
Original post by DYKWIA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_United_Nations I'm pretty sure uk is a country, not the others, although I admit i often use england and uk interchangeably.

But the US is a large, diverse country - it is hard enough learning about the whole of the US, especially when the US is the largest and most important country in the world.

Haha, well played buddy, you are funny.

Most people are ignorant to the rest of the world, its that simple, nothing else to it.
Countries are alot more well know around the world, than US states, pretty sure of that.

When I was in NYC a guy who worked in a store didn't know we spoke English in Britain, and one guy thought we used USD. Gotta love **** like that.

I just had a heated argument with some guy, and my frustration is what angered me to write this. He told me, for accepting gays and being cool with them, and treating them as I would anyone else I'm not a proper Christian - infact probably not one at all - because the Bible condemns them. He says we should all use Jesus as a model human.

I tell him about Lady Gaga born this way and he was adamant people aren't born gay, but they're brought up fooled.

I then ask how homosexuality can be a choice, when homophobic areas have higher suicide rates and by his logic surely they could just change back to being straight if it was a choice. He then says he wishes more homosexuals would commit suicide, and that homosexuals don't think they can turn straight.

So I tell him, Jesus tells us to love all.. so saying that is going against Christianity etc. Then he quotes Sodomy and Gamora.

He's obviously not just a closed minded pre-teen.. he knows his stuff. I just can't comprehend how people can believe it.

If any of you believe it's a choice.. help me out and tell me why please.

Edit: I'm just so angry right now.. sorry.. someone restore my faith in humanity

Your making a false point. If homosexuality wasnt a choice and people were just 'born gay' then there would be no such people as bisexuals, as people would either be straight or gay. this isnt the case though. Homosexuality has been happening for many thousands of years. In prison there will probably be a lot of men that like to have sex with other male inmates, but if you asked them whether they are gay they would say no, they excuse would be they feel horny and so they want to have sex with something/someone, they dont care who, so they have sex with other men as theyre arent any women that they can have sex with. in my opinion its a joke to think people are born gay. people have free will and just because they choose to be gay doesnt mean that they were born gay and will always stay gay for the rest of their lives. there are a lot of people that maybe were gay during their teens but they have become straight and have children and are married. i think your being ignorant and that you have no idea what your talking about when you say people are born gay. sorry for writing a huge paragraph but i wanted to get my point out in detail. being gay is a belief and can change at any moment, its not fixed thing like a gene or something that is determined by your parents
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 117
I don't get how people can honestly think it's a choice - why would we choose to subject ourselves to close-minded bigots determined to tell us how wrong we are? And surely if it was a choice, we would just choose to become straight again at the drop of the hat. I get that it's a choice to ACT on attraction to someone of the same sex (just like it's a choice to act on ANY attraction, regardless of gender) but the notion that being gay itself is a choice is utterly ridiculous.
Reply 118
Original post by arichmond64
Haha, well played buddy, you are funny.

Most people are ignorant to the rest of the world, its that simple, nothing else to it.
Countries are alot more well know around the world, than US states, pretty sure of that.

When I was in NYC a guy who worked in a store didn't know we spoke English in Britain, and one guy thought we used USD. Gotta love **** like that.

You get ignorant people everywhere. it's not an American thing.
Reply 119
People who think that annoy the life out of me, homophobics also. I mean your sexual orientation is not something you think over one day and 'decide' it is like your eye colour or your skin colour, it is innate and cannot be changed. I think disliking people because of their sexual orientation is on par with racism and worse and people who think it is a choice are clearly deluded.

Latest

Trending

Trending