The Student Room Group

Student Finance Eligibility Question

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me because, since Student Finance England has messed up all of my past applications, I would like to know the truth from someone that knows about this.

I did an HND in Computing in London and received 2 years of full student support (tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and grant). After that, I went to King's College London for two years. For the first year at King's, I only received a maintenance loan (no tuition fee loan or grant), but for the second year I got full support again.

So that is 3 years of full support. I was doing very bad in my degree because the HND did not prepare me to do a maths based course, so I took a year out, did three A-Levels and one AS Level and got a transfer to Edinburgh University to do a completely different degree.

I am in 2nd year now and am doing pretty well, and have only received the maintenance loan for these two years. When I left King's I was told that since I had only received full support for 3 years, I still had right to get 1 more year of full support in England or 2 in Scotland. However, I have now been told something different: that it does not matter if I was not eligible for full support in the first year of my degree at King's, that it counts the same, so I can only get one more year of full support in Scotland (or zero if I was in England).

How many more years of full financial support can I get? Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
You do not have X amount of years in total, this is a common mistake people make.

Your entitlement is worked out on a formula which is:

Length of course + 1 year - previous study

It doesn't matter how many years you were fully, partly, or not financed at all - SF counts previous study, not previous financing.

You basically have had: 2 years HND + 2 years KCL + 2 years current course = 6 years previous study

Based on this, you will only get a maintenance loan for the duration of your course.
Reply 2
I thought it was only past studies, not the current one that would affect my eligibility negatively... in which case, I would have full support for my final year?

4 years (duration of degree) + 1 year (extra for false starts) - 4 years (past higher education courses)
Reply 3
Sorry, I didn't realise your current course was 4 years long. Yes, in that case it is 4 + 1 - 4.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending