Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What sports would you consider to be safe and what is dangerous?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 15-09-2014
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    Safe:

Pool
    Snooker
    Darts

Dangerous:

Motor sport(Wheldon, Simoncelli)
    Pamplona bull run
    American football(my personal favourite sport, and I know your gonna give me the whole rugby with padding, but it's genuinely a lot more contact based than rugby. Players at some positions reduce their average life expectancy by up to 18 years and there's been a string of suicides linked to brain damage caused by repeated concussions)
    The whole rugby more manly cause of pads is total bull ****, ive played both and jesus all mighty do some of the hits in american football hurt. They go in for the hit/tackle much harder and faster and use the pads as sort of a weapon to make it bigger. Average life expectancy for a NFL player is 58 years old which is scary haha
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitsonchen)
    List 3 safe sports and 3 dangerous sports ( or more if you want too ! )
    Obviously all sports carry a risk, but some are more dangerous then others. For example, rugby is a lot more dangerous then ballroom dancing.
    Speed walking is a very dangerous sport.

• 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    Er... No it doesn't

The fight ends as soon as one guy hits the floor. If you came even close to punching an opponents to death then it would be intervened.
    I was obviously using a hyperbole when I said that :rolleyes:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Safe sports-

Swimming
    Badminton
    Running

'Dangerous' Sports (if done incorrectly)-

Anything involving throwing oneself out of a plane. Sky-diving, Wingsuiting etc.
    SCUBA diving, if not done properly can be incredibly dangerous. Especially Tec-Diving/Cave Diving/Ice Diving.
    Anything involving serious speed; Motorbike racing, Forumla one racing, snowboarding, skiing. (The later involve a different level of speed but are still....speedy. Haha!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i read an article a few years ago about "record number of divers being attacked by sharks"

so yeh, i'd say football is VERY dangerous
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suspect it is actually the other way around - with football, hockey, rugby, lacrosse much more dangerous than climbing, diving, parachuting, etc.
    It's fairly obvious that if you do something silly while parachuting that the ending will not be a happy one - so you make very sure that you don't do anything silly.
    It's less obvious that football is dangerous, so you aren't quite as careful not to do silly things, so you are more likely to break someones ankle.
    I can't argue that chess is dangerous though....
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Safe;
    Netball
    Football
    Table Tennis

Unsafe;
    Rugby
    Horse Riding
    Racing cars/motorbikes
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Safe:
    Gliding
    Rowing
    Football
    Golf
    Swimming

Less safe:
    On road cycling (I can't tell you how many times I've nearly been killed whilst cycling)
    Horse riding
    Motocross

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 17, 2012
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.