The Student Room Group

Uni for the Creative Arts-Epsom

Hey!

I was wondering if there is anyone else that got an offer,interview or already firmed their offer at UCA or iif there is anyone currently studying there..

I would really like to get to know future potential colleagues:please: :biggrin:
I firmed my offer for Fashion Marketing and Management :lovedup: ..anyone else?:smile: :h:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've got an offer from UCA Epsom to do Fashion, but I'm not sure if I want to go there, as the town looks a bit boring - I really want to live in a city!
Which campus is Fashion Marketing & Management at? :smile:
Reply 2
Epsom..which I think is the closest to London
Reply 3
I actually wanted to be in the city as well,but the living costs are too big..and a 30 min train to the center of london is prob more accesible than living in zone 4-5-6 and taking the metro :biggrin:
What was the campus like. I have my interview for fashion marketing and management in two weeks
Reply 5
I don't know..I am visiting on the 29th..I am not from England.I am really nervous
Reply 6
The campus looked a bit rubbish, it's pretty small, except for the new block which looks modern and has good facilities. However the tour guide made out that we'd have to fight the other courses there for space in computer rooms, photography studios etc.
The town centre was pretty small, and didn't look to have much night life. Well that's what the tour guide told me.
Good Luck in your interviews, I thought mine went really bad but obviously not because I got an offer.
Just be prepared to answer questions like 'Why you want to study at Epsom' and I got asked 'What are my weaknesses?' which I thought was a bit of a strange question and panicked a bit! Don't be nervous!
Reply 7
Oh..I already firmed my offer..I didn't have an interview :smile:
Reply 8
Hmmm... I've been reading a bit about the place and everyone says that it's boring. But hey, at the end of the day I think it's up to us how boring are we going to make it ? haha :smile: I'm going to UCA in Epsom from September :wink:
Reply 9
I agree!with london and kingston so close,i am sure we can keep ourselves entertained .What are you studying?
I have my interview Today. Wish me luck.
Reply 11
Hey, Im in first year and I go to UCA in Epsom and studying Fashion Management and Marketing. Saw this thread and reminded me of when I was considering what uni to go to. The course itself is really good, but ALOT of work. Epsom is VERY boring, only two places to go really - Boogie Lounge (Im sure you can tell by the name that its ****) and Elements which stinks of feet.

I live in Kingston, even though its about 40 mins away on bus from Epsom, I much prefer it as there is more nightlife here. I personally wouldn't live in Epsom although its close to the campus, I chose to stay at home in 1st year (dad lives in Kingston) but Im going to live out next year with friends I've made. But I am still looking to stay in Kingston.

Halls are pretty decent, but most of the rooms are quite small. I suppose you could say that if your a 'going out' person and enjoy nightlife, epsom is not really for you. But on the other hand, it is what you make of it and house parties can make up for the lack of decent bars/clubs in the area.

Again, if i had to another chance at deciding what uni to go to, i perhaps would have chosen somewhere with more nightlife. However, with the workload that you get on the FMM course, Im not sure i would have passed any of my units if Epsom had a thriving nightlife. So i really do recommend you think about whether having clubs etc. is essential to your student experience. If it is, Epsom is not the place. Any questions about Fashion Management and Marketing, area or just anything really ask me!!!
Reply 12
Original post by mills973
However the tour guide made out that we'd have to fight the other courses there for space in computer rooms, photography studios etc.

I dont know who told you that, but if your studying fashion management and marketing we have the whole top floor of the new building specifically for our course with 3 computer rooms lecture room/seminar room, toilets and study rooms. so dont worry about facilities. and you have the library, and several computer rooms in the ict suite :biggrin:
Reply 13
Are the people nice?Especially the girls..how are the girls? I am really trying to avoid bitchy-snobby types..:biggrin:
Original post by LaraH
I dont know who told you that, but if your studying fashion management and marketing we have the whole top floor of the new building specifically for our course with 3 computer rooms lecture room/seminar room, toilets and study rooms. so dont worry about facilities. and you have the library, and several computer rooms in the ict suite :biggrin:

Hey, was UCA your first choice? Where else did you apply to?
Reply 15
Original post by TurquoiseD
I agree!with london and kingston so close,i am sure we can keep ourselves entertained .What are you studying?

I'm only doing and Art Foundation but probably staying there to do Fashion :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by TurquoiseD
Are the people nice?Especially the girls..how are the girls? I am really trying to avoid bitchy-snobby types..:biggrin:

Hey babe, well on my course (Fashion Management and Marketing) I can assure you there are no snobby girls ATALL, so far everyone has been lovely... but i have heard bad things about Fashion Journalism, suppose because the whole idea of fashion journalism is like criticising what people are wearing, designer shows etc.

The girls are lovely. I have made friends for LIFE! but then it all depends who's in your year when you start. But don't worry. Just be yourself and you will be fine. At university, i have found i have been more myself then ever before, i used to tone my loudness and large personality down at college so people didn't find me annoying but at uni everyone accepts my loudness and loves it :smile::smile: so u have nothing to worry about :smile: x
Reply 17
Original post by BambieWambie
Hey, was UCA your first choice? Where else did you apply to?

I also applied to London College of Fashion, but hated it at interview. I didn't know there was many other universities that offered this sort of course, and when i cam to epsom i just put it as my first choice because i liked it, found the staff friendly and approachable. Do not regret my choice, although sometimes i wish id gone somewhere with bigger nightlife and more going on socially. Although I have a feeling Epsom may improve in time.
Original post by LaraH
I also applied to London College of Fashion, but hated it at interview. I didn't know there was many other universities that offered this sort of course, and when i cam to epsom i just put it as my first choice because i liked it, found the staff friendly and approachable. Do not regret my choice, although sometimes i wish id gone somewhere with bigger nightlife and more going on socially. Although I have a feeling Epsom may improve in time.

What didnt you like about LCF? I was rejected from there and Westminster because i failed the entry tests. Im a bit apprehensive about UCA. It's my last choice and my only choice now. They dont really have a big SU. I've always wanted to go somewhere with a studentlife. But, do you have any good opportunities like big name designer inyternships? Or study abroad opportunities?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by LaraH
Hey, Im in first year and I go to UCA in Epsom and studying Fashion Management and Marketing. Saw this thread and reminded me of when I was considering what uni to go to. The course itself is really good, but ALOT of work. Epsom is VERY boring, only two places to go really - Boogie Lounge (Im sure you can tell by the name that its ****) and Elements which stinks of feet.

I live in Kingston, even though its about 40 mins away on bus from Epsom, I much prefer it as there is more nightlife here. I personally wouldn't live in Epsom although its close to the campus, I chose to stay at home in 1st year (dad lives in Kingston) but Im going to live out next year with friends I've made. But I am still looking to stay in Kingston.

Halls are pretty decent, but most of the rooms are quite small. I suppose you could say that if your a 'going out' person and enjoy nightlife, epsom is not really for you. But on the other hand, it is what you make of it and house parties can make up for the lack of decent bars/clubs in the area.

Again, if i had to another chance at deciding what uni to go to, i perhaps would have chosen somewhere with more nightlife. However, with the workload that you get on the FMM course, Im not sure i would have passed any of my units if Epsom had a thriving nightlife. So i really do recommend you think about whether having clubs etc. is essential to your student experience. If it is, Epsom is not the place. Any questions about Fashion Management and Marketing, area or just anything really ask me!!!

I have an offer from UCA for the fpi course and for Southampton solent too but im stuck on which one to go for! heard that southampton solent is rubbish in comparison and also the course doesn't look as good as at UCA but its a better location and it seems to be a recurring problem that epsom as a place is rubbish! i know the actual degree is so much more important then nightlife and area but when i went for my interview i was instantly put off buy the lack of people in the town and also in the uni! there wasn't much of a vibe about epsom, and most people just go out in London all the time anyway but end up spending loads on taxi's! Do you know anyone on the fpi course and what they think? and can you offer me advice on my choice. also you said you dont live in epsom! i live in Devon and have no idea about the area and where to live etc.. how much does it cost you to commute? do many people do it? where is the best place to live?

Quick Reply

Latest