The Student Room Group

Girls, how do you wear your school tie?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My school were actually very strict about ties, they had to be at least 7 stripes long (a good 35cm) with top bottom done up and tie right up to the neck and we even had a uniform card system where you get strikes against you and you get a detention when you get 5 strikes. Little did they know that it was really easy to get extra uniform cards and you could just get water and rub the top layer off the card, that way you lose all the marks and you can just tell them it went through the washing machine.
Reply 21
I never wore a school tie and if someone had forced me to, i would get that tie and shove it up their ass!
Reply 22
When I was in years 7 to 11 the school uniform policy was that top buttons had to be done up, shirts were tucked in and ties had to show 15 stripes or the school badge depending on the type of tie they had. However, a couple of years ago they introduced a rule where girls didn't have to wear a tie providing they had the right shirt for it. Possibly because so many people made their uniforms look like a mess, and teachers were not successful in enforcing the rules.

I hated those short fat ties, they looked so tacky. Personally, I was teased for wearing mine properly in year 7. :sadnod: I wore the tie properly and would undo the top button after school. So pleased I don't have to endure those awful years anymore.
Reply 23

failing like that you wear it 'like a boss' :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)
I stopped wearing a tie at primary school but I always wore that properly (i.e. top button done up and knot where it should be). If I had had to wear one at secondary school, I would have worn it in the same way. Ties are meant to be smart, wearing it about 10 cm long and loose is not smart. I'm a stickler for tradition. :smile:

Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Ours is a proper grammar school and pretty well respected so we have to wear the top button in (although they're a little lenient the older you get), and tie done up properly.

May I ask, what's the difference between a proper grammar school and a non-proper grammar school?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by somethingbeautiful
If you wear a short fat tie you basically may as well put a neon sign on your head that reads 'chav'. I went to a comp by the way, only the idiots wore their ties like...well, idiots.

Repped! My thoughts exactly.
I hate the short fat tie thing. Some girls in my year used to do theirs SO short that the tie was literally just a giant knot. I used to wear my top button undone, and then have my tie long and skinny. Oh, and incase it's relevant, I went to a grammar school (still there actually, just now at sixth form). And anything more than two buttons undone is honestly totally inappropriate. I guess that makes me sound pretty dorky, but that's just my opinion.
Reply 26
i hate it when girls have to wear ties to school.
Nearly all the girls at my school wear it like that. I never bother. It takes more time and effort to get it to sit like that than it does to just do it up normally. :biggrin:

The thing with the shirt buttons only really happens in the lower school though. The rest of us have already sussed out that it just looks weird under the jumpers. The school I go to isn't strict about uniform at all. I think that they are more concerned with getting people to actually turn up! :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
My school is pretty strict on uniform. Everyone has at most one button undone, even if one button is undone, the tie isn't loose/short (except for a few girls in 3rd/4th year who think it looks good). Practically everyone in 6th just has their top button done up though, we are old enough to know that we have to look smart and set an example.

Personally, I do think it looks better done up and all smart. Only 4/5 months left of wearing it, might as well just put up with it right?
Original post by Rascacielos
I stopped wearing a tie at primary school but I always wore that properly (i.e. top button done up and knot where it should be). If I had had to wear one at secondary school, I would have worn it in the same way. Ties are meant to be smart, wearing it about 10 cm long and loose is not smart. I'm a stickler for tradition. :smile:

May I ask, what's the difference between a proper grammar school and a non-proper grammar school?

I didn't mean it that way. I type like I speak and I know that I shouldn't have used that word there but I did anyway.

Though over here you get grammar schools like mine - really old fashioned - and newer ones which are more lax, so maybe that's what I meant? Can't really remember.
Reply 30
well when i first started high school, after the first month or so of shcok at actual being in year 7 :O lol , everyone wore their tiesreally short and fat with top buttons undone...
then a few years later the school changed the tie so you had to have 7 stripes and the badge showing, so everyone had to have their ties long but wore them sort of low with the top 2 shirt buttons undone..
now this year (now iv left), the school has a new headteacher and shes made it so that you have to have top buttons done up and tie tight and long; if you get caught 3 times with an improper tie/ buttons undone, then you get excluded...- i lol at my brother when he leaves the house noe! hehe im mean lol
i find it really interesting
at the school i went to our ties were always up to the top because you got detentions if they werent... but girls always had short ties (had to go down 5 buttons), and the boys always had their ties as long as they could (teachers used to measure them...)
but we have friends who go to school near by and there the boys have short ties and the girls have long!

WEIRD!
x
Reply 32
Unless you want to commit social suicide, your tie is to be worn with a fat knot, mid chest in length.

Think of it as a medal...

(I know this is awful - but how a state comprehensive changes your morals eh?)
Reply 33
I was obviously as cool as **** at school as I wore my tie as short as physically possible. And the top button ACTUALLY MISSING so I couldn't get told to done it up. Classyyyy
Reply 34
Original post by elisabethr
Unless you want to commit social suicide, your tie is to be worn with a fat knot, mid chest in length.

This is essentially my school as well. Noone would ever dream of wearing it any other way.
Gosh ... this is barmy about 15 stripes showing, ....... TOTALY! Then wearing it as so woiuld be nearly down to your knee!! I'd never show a school Badge/Crest ..... at all!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by elisabethr

Yeah having the Skinny side out alone roxz the best I reckon!! :colondollar:
I've been at my school for 4 years, i'm now in year 11 and up until this year they never made us wear a tie. Now they are really becoming strict and make us wear ties! A lot of the girls in my year (including me) wear them lose and short with the top button undone. But now they are introducing clip on ties for years 7s and 8s so by 2014 the whole school will have clip on ties, so i'm assuming you'd have to have your top button done up for these and there's no way you can alter these..
Original post by The Phelps
I'm a boy, but all my school wear ties so I'll answer anyway. (I'm such a rebel.)

If uniform is strict in the school everyone has their top button done up and the tie all the way up to their throat. The boys tend to go for a double Windsor knot as it's a bit more unique.

When the uniform rules are slacking the girls generally have the first three buttons on their shirt undone and the tie about 5 cm long hanging somewhere between chest and belly button. That's if they're not using it as head band of some form.

Don't worry your way of wearing a school tie is normal in a school where uniform isn't strict.

Smart yeah!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by somethingbeautiful
If you wear a short fat tie you basically may as well put a neon sign on your head that reads 'chav'. I went to a comp by the way, only the idiots wore their ties like...well, idiots.

i went to a comp in a middle class area, there was only about 20 chavs in our year, EVERYONE wore their tie short and fat, from the emos, to the chavs, to the normal people.. when they could get away with it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending