The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What India need is structure. They keep swapping around players, trying to get in a good combination to work well with them for the future, but to no avail. They need to get rid of Sachin, it's high time they took a new road and introduced a younger player up the order, groom him, till he's an experienced batsman, aggressive or skilful.

Look at the Aussies, Ponting's exclusion was disappointing, but look how Forrest turned that around with a brilliant century on debut at no3. Or even Dinesh Chandimal, look at him, they guys getting top scored and he only started after the world cup.

What India needs to do is to learn from others. Get a good batting order, and only Dhoni and the selectors can do that.
Suddenly Sri Lanka have gone from wretched to on top (in ODIs). I think the addition of Chandimal and Jayawardene getting runs gives them just enough batting quality. Dilshan, Chandimal, Sangakarra, Jayawardene, it's not a batting lineup to be sniffed at.

Still worried about Sri Lankan test bowling though.

Tha advent of 20-20 and limited overs focus is changing the balance of power. I would still say only South Africa and England look in really rude health in test cricket, Sri Lanka seem to be short on bowling, India are short on bowling and the batting is in crisis, and Pakistan are reasonable but lack batting beyond Younis Khan, leadership beyond Misbah Ul-Haq, and fast bowling in the longer form. Maybe England will get whitewashed in India and Sri Lanka but I doubt it - there were many positives to take from Dubai in the test series.

I think if you played that series again now, dropped Bell and Morgan for Patel and Bopara respectively, left out Anderson in favour of Bresnan for batting depth, I actually do think England would win that series.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Raiden10
Suddenly Sri Lanka have gone from wretched to on top (in ODIs). I think the addition of Chandimal and Jayawardene getting runs gives them just enough batting quality. Dilshan, Chandimal, Sangakarra, Jayawardene, it's not a batting lineup to be sniffed at.

Still worried about Sri Lankan test bowling though.

Tha advent of 20-20 and limited overs focus is changing the balance of power. I would still say only South Africa and England look in really rude health in test cricket, Sri Lanka seem to be short on bowling, India are short on bowling and the batting is in crisis, and Pakistan are reasonable but lack batting beyond Younis Khan, leadership beyond Misbah Ul-Haq, and fast bowling in the longer form. Maybe England will get whitewashed in India and Sri Lanka but I doubt it - there were many positives to take from Dubai in the test series.

I think if you played that series again now, dropped Bell and Morgan for Patel and Bopara respectively, left out Anderson in favour of Bresnan for batting depth, I actually do think England would win that series.

Hate it when people say 'IF' it's such a stupid word. If this happened, if that happened. It didn't, end of
Original post by (L)*
aree India definately out of the CB series?
swear they could got through if they beat SL and then aus beat them too?

Not mathematically, if India beat Sri Lanka with a bonus point and a huge margin of defeat, and the last game Sri Lanka lose it then India have a good chance to qualify as then it would come down to net run rate.
But realistically not looking very good for us:no:
(edited 12 years ago)
Did anyone see the India-Australia match today?
What did you guys think on the descison of:
1.David Hussey incident('ball handling')
2.S.Tendulker being obstructed by Bret Lee, to cause a run out:/

I reckon both desicions should have gone in India's favour. David Hussey should have been definately called out because, if you can give Inzy out in India-Pakistan match in 2007 when he put his bat forward why not David Hussey who put his hand forward?
And ST incident clearly video footage shows how Bret Lee was nowhere near the bowl and was running in his way and stopped for the only purpose to stop Sachin. Is that fair play? You never see ST getting so angry:no:
Original post by Straight up G
We'll see I guess. The new inclusions look at home though, they don't look nervy at all, and a bit like Ed Cowan, they seem robust, solid players who perhaps lack a tiny bit of quality but make up for it in temperament and maturity.

Haha, I remember those days very well. The days where Pakistan could chase more than 315, let alone failing to get near 230 today.

I'm sure Sachin aids them a lot in the nets, and though you don't see it, the end of over chats are very important. Of course one reason why he hasn't helped them as much is because he isn't out in the middle, but his presence alone in the squad is beneficial.

True. Forrest, only a few games old at the international level for Aus, and he made a 50 on debut, made a 100 a couple of matches ago. Then Warner, he's getting into his groove, made 68 today. Wade, their replacement for Haddin is doing a great job too, he's had a couple of handy 50s. Then the Hussey brothers are just great, in the field and with the bat too. Handy parttime from David as well.

So yeah, Aus are looking good too. Just India then :sadnod:

Would you like a tissue? :console: (lol, joking, I think I need to join you while I weep :cry2: :bawling:)

Oh of course. I didn't mean to imply that Sachin is of no use. I think he should retire from ODIs and T20I as well. Just stick to Test cricket. It'll save him from embarrassment methinks. He can then stick around with Team India, and help with the mentoring and coaching.

I bet, he'll get that bloody 100th hundred at home, in the series against SL we've got in the summer.
Original post by ♥ ♥

I bet, he'll get that bloody 100th hundred at home, in the series against SL we've got in the summer.

I reckon he is saving it for the Asia Cup, when India reach the final(hopefully) he will score:L
I think India's failure is more because of the fact that they are unable to play in these conditions, rather than a lack of form or skill. They play shots that would only be effective in the subcontinent and don't change their game to adapt to aussie pitches. I think the IPL has a big part to play in this. Most of the batmen got out playing loose drives and other low quality shots which have been embedded into the batsman's technique because of all IPL that they play.
Original post by razmazterz
Did anyone see the India-Australia match today?
What did you guys think on the descison of:
1.David Hussey incident('ball handling')
2.S.Tendulker being obstructed by Bret Lee, to cause a run out:/

I reckon both desicions should have gone in India's favour. David Hussey should have been definately called out because, if you can give Inzy out in India-Pakistan match in 2007 when he put his bat forward why not David Hussey who put his hand forward?
And ST incident clearly video footage shows how Bret Lee was nowhere near the bowl and was running in his way and stopped for the only purpose to stop Sachin. Is that fair play? You never see ST getting so angry:no:

Perhaps you can read him better than I, but Sach
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
Hate it when people say 'IF' it's such a stupid word. If this happened, if that happened. It didn't, end of
But it does happen and it dos happen.
(edited 12 years ago)
Basically someone retarded is gaining some sort of victory as we speak. What's the rules in cricket again?
Original post by Raiden10
But it does happen and it dos happen.

Err, no it doesn't? You said if this happened and if that happened. No, it happened. Get over it.
England total 130 in the final T2O. Pakistan will be disappointed of the extra runs they gave them, Gul had abit of a mare and for the T2O WC in September, they need to find a regular wicket-keeper. Umar is not cut out for it. England favourites atm.
England favourites, lol no. An opening stand of 30/40 would always put us in pole position and against theory pacers that was likely provided we didn't play silly shots.
Anyone think India can reach the finals? I am optimistic and would say yeah we can but obviously it will be very hard especially against an in-form Sri Lanka side. The only way i can see it happening is if Sehwag and Sachin get runs especially Sehwag for the bonus-point and hopefully Pathan and Praveen Kumar will take wickets with the new ball.
Gonna be very hard though but still possible
Reply 395
:cry2: pakistan lost,
but what a game, what a game!!!
Depressing.

Ajmal bowls a masterclass and then we start well. It's 7 runs an over for 5 overs with 7 wickets, including two designated power hitters in the bank and one at the crease.

Probably the ****test Pakistan chase I have ever seen. People wonder why Wasim chose to bat in that 99 final, because we are **** at chasing, and that's been proved once again. Not once under Misbah's reign have we pulled off a chase of any magnitude. To not be able to chase 130 is unacceptable, and without doubt proves that Misbah has been living off splendid bowling performances from the best bowler in the business today. And even though Ajmal produced yet another display of guile and execution, he took a wicket in every over for ****'s sake, and we couldn't chase a ****ing abysmal total of 130. Ridiculous. It honestly is. Misbah needs to sit down and think about whether he should be playing T20s or even ODIs anymore. It's unbelievable.
Original post by nm786

but what a game, what a game!!!

...? It was a rubbish match tbh. Ajmal, Pieterson and Dernbach were the only ones who put in good performances, maybe Shafiq too for carrying us forward. The T20s in this series have been a bit rubbish overall. Even the match that we won, people were saying it was a great match, and in all honesty, it really wasn't.
^I hate to say I told you so - re: England being favourites - but Pakistan just let the game slip away.

You've hit it spot on G. Ajmal was brilliant, shame Umar Gul had a crumble with the ball yet again. As the main bowler - some may say that's now Ajmal - he sets the tone and he's not done well in the shorter formats of the game as of late.

Misbah's only in the ODI/T20 format because he's captain and there's no-one else to take the reins. Afridi is one, but split captaincies may not be the right thing incase Afridi has a mood swing and ditches the job.

Pakistan, after winning the Tests, just tailed off afterwards. I can't blame them, no-one was expecting them to win they way they did. But their batting is one that needs serious work - we seem to be lacking a consistent run scorer in all formats - someone like KP.

Winning the shorter formats means England's tour ends well but they'll still be disappointed with the Tests.

Original post by Straight up G
...? It was a rubbish match tbh. Ajmal, Pieterson and Dernbach were the only ones who put in good performances, maybe Shafiq too for carrying us forward. The T20s in this series have been a bit rubbish overall. Even the match that we won, people were saying it was a great match, and in all honesty, it really wasn't.

The last match was probably more enjoyable than this third one. This match was more a case of the pitch being that abit slower and the ball not coming onto the bat quickly. The Test matches were more entertaining then the ODI's/T20's put together. Confirmation that maybe Test matches still have more value than the shorter formats.
(edited 12 years ago)
Pathetic. I have no words to describe this. Although Zia wasn't out, still Misbah has NO excuses.
I backed him after the T20 in 07, backed him after Mohali.
I will NOT back him now.
Should IMMEDIATELY retire from ODIs and T20s. He can continue playing tests.
Absolutely pathetic.

Latest