The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by Straight up G
Depressing.

Ajmal bowls a masterclass and then we start well. It's 7 runs an over for 5 overs with 7 wickets, including two designated power hitters in the bank and one at the crease.

Probably the ****test Pakistan chase I have ever seen. People wonder why Wasim chose to bat in that 99 final, because we are **** at chasing, and that's been proved once again. Not once under Misbah's reign have we pulled off a chase of any magnitude. To not be able to chase 130 is unacceptable, and without doubt proves that Misbah has been living off splendid bowling performances from the best bowler in the business today. And even though Ajmal produced yet another display of guile and execution, he took a wicket in every over for ****'s sake, and we couldn't chase a ****ing abysmal total of 130. Ridiculous. It honestly is. Misbah needs to sit down and think about whether he should be playing T20s or even ODIs anymore. It's unbelievable.

agreed man, pakistan could have made that score easily.
Looks like those six runs of cheema cost them the match.

misbah is a great test captain not t20. I don't know why he was a captain in the first place?
I think afridi or hafeez should have been t20 captain.
I think he shouldn't play t20 anymore. He should stick to test and ODI.

Pakistan still need to sort out their fielding and batting. Bowling isn't a problem at all.
Call Whatmore.
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
I backed him after the T20 in 07, backed him after Mohali.

The reason why we got to the final in the T20 07 was Misbah and Misbah alone. He was the best player in that tournament by a long margin. We fell short as a team, not him as a player. Whatever he does from now, I will always back him because there is no blood on his hands for that tournament at all, he dragged us there and his performances in that tournament are heroic anyway. If he had won that tournament, that would have been the single greatest set of performances that I'd have ever seen. Likewise for Mohali, the game was dead before he could do anything. The culprit in Mohali was Younis, who has a mediocre ODI record and takes far too many balls to get settled in.
Original post by nm786
agreed man, pakistan could have made that score easily.
Looks like those six runs of cheema cost them the match.

misbah is a great test captain not t20. I don't know why he was a captain in the first place?
I think afridi or hafeez should have been t20 captain.
I think he shouldn't play t20 anymore. He should stick to test and ODI.

Pakistan still need to sort out their fielding and batting. Bowling isn't a problem at all.
Call Whatmore.

Those 6 runs off Cheema are regrettable, but they aren't the problem.

To be fair, he'd won every T20 game as captain before these two defeats. But his batting makes him unsuitable for the format, not his captaincy. Hafeez will soon be struggling to keep his place in the team because his batting is dire.

Yeah, Whatmore will soon be confirmed. I don't know all that much about him, I don't know if he can be the messiah that we all expect him to be.
It's not Misbah's fault - he is what he is. The sad part is that he is a big guy and you'd imagine, if he had more verstatility and flexability, the guy could hit the ball into the crowd consistently but his technique is perfect for Test cricket. I'd say it's not that bad for ODI's, but guys like Shafiq and Azhar who do the same thing of accumlulating runs slowly should be pushed forward.

We definitely need Whatmore. Mohsin's done a great job, deserves full kudos but what these T2O/ODI's have shown that we need a qualified, experienced coach to spend abit of time practising and pushing these guys forward.

Whatmore's got a good CV - worked with Sri Lanka, Lancashire. In fact, the PCB were after him far back as 2006/07, but when with Lawson because he was an Australian. Plus, he understands the South Asian cricketing psyche having worked in Sri Lanka, so he should settle in quickly.
(edited 12 years ago)
laanat hai
Original post by Aky786UK
^I hate to say I told you so - re: England being favourites - but Pakistan just let the game slip away.

You've hit it spot on G. Ajmal was brilliant, shame Umar Gul had a crumble with the ball yet again. As the main bowler - some may say that's now Ajmal - he sets the tone and he's not done well in the shorter formats of the game as of late.

Misbah's only in the ODI/T20 format because he's captain and there's no-one else to take the reins. Afridi is one, but split captaincies may not be the right thing incase Afridi has a mood swing and ditches the job.

Pakistan, after winning the Tests, just tailed off afterwards. I can't blame them, no-one was expecting them to win they way they did. But their batting is one that needs serious work - we seem to be lacking a consistent run scorer in all formats - someone like KP.

Winning the shorter formats means England's tour ends well but they'll still be disappointed with the Tests.

The last match was probably more enjoyable than this third one. This match was more a case of the pitch being that abit slower and the ball not coming onto the bat quickly. The Test matches were more entertaining then the ODI's/T20's put together. Confirmation that maybe Test matches still have more value than the shorter formats.

If we played this match again (and a Pakistani team without the memories and lessons learnt from losing today) then I'd still put a Pakistani team as favourites, but yeah, fine, you called it. If you are not favourites when chasing 130 there is something seriously wrong.

Umer Gul is a serious liability now. He's not a big game player, he ****ed up in both our T20 finals after excellent tournaments, he ****ed up in Mohali too I think. He's been rubbish in limited overs for a while and he's not even that good a test bowler.

Yeah, fair point. There's no-one to take the reins, Afridi is a liability. To be honest, the bowlers have done well in most of the games, it's the batting that is just god-awful and a plan needs to be put in place for 2015 with Whatmore. By all means sacrifice this meaningless T20 World Cup in September if it means that we'll do well in the 2014 T20 and 2015 ODIs.

Well, England have won 6 out of 10 matches on tour, and certainly have improved at playing spin, adjusted to the conditions. They'll be embarrassed at the tests, but overall, I think it will be a satisfying tour. For sure they won't forget the humiliation, but it's probably just their bad luck that they were the first set of matches on tour; if they had started with the LOIs, they'd have done far better in the tests probably. Pieterson and Cook were very, very, very impressive.

Umer Gul is a serious liability now. He's not a big game player, he ****ed up in both our T20 finals after excellent tournaments, he ****ed up in Mohali too I think. He's been rubbish in limited overs for a while and he's not even that good a test bowler.

I wouldn't go so far probably to say he is a liability. He's shown that when he's on form, he can bowl extremely well. Unfortunately, might be a mental thing, but he is prone to the odd crumble. Mohali is a great example, when we needed to contain, he gifted India crucial runs. You feel with Gul, that if he sets a good/bad tone for the innings, then that's how he'll perform for the rest of it.
The reason why we got to the final in the T20 07 was Misbah and Misbah alone. He was the best player in that tournament by a long margin. We fell short as a team, not him as a player. Whatever he does from now, I will always back him because there is no blood on his hands for that tournament at all, he dragged us there and his performances in that tournament are heroic anyway. If he had won that tournament, that would have been the single greatest set of performances that I'd have ever seen. Likewise for Mohali, the game was dead before he could do anything. The culprit in Mohali was Younis, who has a mediocre ODI record and takes far too many balls to get settled in.

I know, my point was he did all the hard work then threw it away at the end.
Reply 408
misbah is captain, he is the one who controls everyone and says how u shud play. it was misbah's tactics to not hit in the middle overs and wait till the the end. 2 fours? this is ****ing t20. he cud have smacked patel for fours but he didnt.

misbah-ul-haq, should do himself a favour and retire from international cricket. i accept the fact that he has won us some matches, but he is are not deemed fit enough to play tense cricket matches. because of his captaincy and batting we have lost matches which we could have won.
I swear Misbah is one of the slowest test players and even though he is a good captain, why is he playing t20 cricket? in the 2007 WC we saw that he can play the big shots but atm he doesnt seem like he can, he shouldnt be playing and someone else should be captain.
Hafeez has prob had one of his worst tours in a long time and considering hes such a significant player for pakistan i would partly blame him for losing the t20 series and the ODI series.
Reply 410
so gutted! i actually thought he would hit a six...high hope much..

here are my ruthless opinions:
-akmal wasted those precious balls where he kept missing them
-umar gul is unpredictable, sometimes hes great other times so ****
-ajmal and cheema did well in terms of bowling, such a shame we couldnt chase that EASY target!!
-misbah needs to quit t20...i say this based on his overall performance
-afridi is tooo overrated, boom boom up yours

overall just soo gutted! pakistan need to train/find a solid batsman, not rely on small cameos.

-
Does anyone even care about India vs SL tomorrow? India can't even win, let alone get a win and a bonus point. Hope SL murder India, so they finish their tour of Aus on the pathetic note that they came with.
How the hell did England win that, they played (bowled and fielded) amazingly well!
Original post by ♥ ♥
Does anyone even care about India vs SL tomorrow? India can't even win, let alone get a win and a bonus point. Hope SL murder India, so they finish their tour of Aus on the pathetic note that they came with.

Whoa, whats with the animosity.
Original post by King-Panther
Whoa, whats with the animosity.

Frustrated Indian fan.
Not much else to say :L

They've just been crap, and they can't even lose with grace :facepalm:
Original post by ♥ ♥

I'd be surprised if even Indian players care about it.

Not kept up with the series but I have to say, I really feel for the Indian players and their exhaustive schedule they've had to be drummed into by the board.

They won the WC in April 2011, and since then - its been non-stop cricket. Whether it's the IPL, Test matches, pointless ODI series against England and a tour Down Under.

England at least had 2-3 months off after the ODI event in India.

The Indian players aren't being helped by their board, you can do squad rotation as much as you want but players, especially with India's schedule, need a rest.

I assume they come back from Australia, take a few weeks rest then it's the IPL!
Original post by ♥ ♥
Frustrated Indian fan.
Not much else to say :L

They've just been crap, and they can't even lose with grace :facepalm:

Oh well, I'm sure things will get better.
Original post by Aky786UK
I'd be surprised if even Indian players care about it.

Not kept up with the series but I have to say, I really feel for the Indian players and their exhaustive schedule they've had to be drummed into by the board.

They won the WC in April 2011, and since then - its been non-stop cricket. Whether it's the IPL, Test matches, pointless ODI series against England and a tour Down Under.

England at least had 2-3 months off after the ODI event in India.

The Indian players aren't being helped by their board, you can do squad rotation as much as you want but players, especially with India's schedule, need a rest.

I assume they come back from Australia, take a few weeks rest then it's the IPL!

True!

I agree they're schedule is awful, but why don't they make a fuss?

If everyone can see the flaws, why not make it apparent to the BCCI?

From Aus, its to Bangladesh for the Asia Cup, finishes on the 22nd, then they're home for the IPL. After that, there is a tour of SL, and then the T20 WC.

Non stop once again. Even India's die hard fans are sick of the sight of India playing :laugh:
Reply 418
things are looking pretty grim
still, Im very much looking forward to sept..
Original post by King-Panther
Oh well, I'm sure things will get better.

I'd be being really optimistic if I were to believe things are gonna improve any time soon. :L

Latest