The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kutta
I'm also happy for Moeen defo got the potential to be a very good all rounder. Short pitch delivery is a problem but its a problem for most players. I'm sure the coaching team will help him out.

I don't trust him as the sixth batsmen, I think in terms of balance if we play Ali we need another all rounder in the side as well. Thankfully Woakes and Stokes are pretty good options for that spot. 5 batsmen, 3 bowlers, 2 all rounders and a keeper. It's definitely the way to go for now.

Not sure what to make of the Finn recall. I thought it might be best to leave him at Middlesex for a while longer and have a look at him in the New Zealand series before the Ashes next year. I hope recalling him is Cook and the selectors having faith that he's got his game back together, rather than a move of desperation because there aren't any other options. I do really rate the guy though, and if he's picked on Thursday I'll be really excited to see how he plays, even if I'll have my concerns too.
Original post by Kutta
Does anyone think Broad is overrated? He's a decent bowler no doubt but I think we rate him too highly. He's no where near as good as the Anderson/Steyn level. I spoke to a mate who reckons Broad is better than Steyn lol

I'm also happy for Moeen defo got the potential to be a very good all rounder. Short pitch delivery is a problem but its a problem for most players. I'm sure the coaching team will help him out.

both anderson and broad have akmost identical stats, they are good partnership, but they are elevated somewhat by the stark lack of alternatvie quality fast bowling, which ahs been the case for last 5 years. steyn is the only real top class bowler id say. phillander is good - but like anderson relies on helpful pitches. morkel ok, id say broad is slightly better. but apart from styen noone really great around these days. dennis lilliee would trample all these bowlers barring steyn - and he wasnt even the best of his era
(edited 9 years ago)
England's bowling attack should be Anderson, Broad, Woakes, Finn and Moeen for the next test imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undisclosed 15
England's bowling attack should be Anderson, Broad, Woakes, Finn and Moeen for the next test imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I agree, but Plunkett would oust Finn if fit.
Reply 5744
Original post by Mackay
Yeah, I agree, but Plunkett would oust Finn if fit.

Finn has to make a comeback, skittling out this indian batting line up is just what he needs to gain some confidence. If England want any chance of winning a test in the next Australia ashes they'll need finn so nows the time to start getting him back to tests.
Original post by JRP95
Finn has to make a comeback, skittling out this indian batting line up is just what he needs to gain some confidence. If England want any chance of winning a test in the next Australia ashes they'll need finn so nows the time to start getting him back to tests.

Plunkett would suit the Old Trafford pitch way more, though.
Sanju Samson selected for the ODI series :biggrin: have heard a lot about him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JRP95
Broad is on a level of Anderson as their averages tell us but they are both condition bowlers or bullys of mediocre batting attacks and not even close to steyn. I remember someone earlier saying steyn is the only great fast this era of bowlers has produced, the rest have been too inconsistent and are only good depending on conditions. Your mate has obviously been buying all the crap the English media feeds us, the funniest were the cook-Tendulkar and Anderson-mcgrath comparisons lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're SOOOOO RIGHT mate. I remember once my friend told me that Bob Willis said that Anderson is as good as McGrath. I hate it when people big up their own countrymen. What's the point of that?
Untitled.png

For all those who think Anderson is in the same league as McGrath..........even Botham had a better average than Anderson and he was an allrounder.

Steyn is the ONLY bowler who comes close to McGrath imo.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheSoulWithin
Sanju Samson selected for the ODI series :biggrin: have heard a lot about him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah he's not even 20 yet. Rarely see people who are so young and play with that much responsibility. Guy is pretty good in IPL too. Wonder if he'll actually play though with Dhoni being there. Unless they put him in just as a batsman.
Shane Bond's still the best bowler I've ever seen. Consistently bowling 95mph, hitting areas and swinging it. What a man.
Original post by mali167

For all those who think Anderson is in the same league as McGrath..........even Botham had a better average than Anderson and he was an allrounder.

Steyn is the ONLY bowler who comes close to McGrath imo.

in that list id reckon malcolm marshal was the best all round quickie, mcgrath the most accurate, ambrose the most intimidating, but steyn the greatest fast bowler of the last 15 years
Reply 5752
Original post by Mackay
Plunkett would suit the Old Trafford pitch way more, though.

True, though I think England can win the series easily without Plunkett so why not use finn anyways given Plunketts international career will be over by the next ashes down under.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meenglishnogood
in that list id reckon malcolm marshal was the best all round quickie, mcgrath the most accurate, ambrose the most intimidating, but steyn the greatest fast bowler of the last 15 years

I wonder how long Steyn is going to last though coz he bowls much quicker than the likes of Akram or McGrath. And it catches up with you at some point when you're on the wrong side of 30.
Original post by mali167
Yeah he's not even 20 yet. Rarely see people who are so young and play with that much responsibility. Guy is pretty good in IPL too. Wonder if he'll actually play though with Dhoni being there. Unless they put him in just as a batsman.

Yeah, not sure if he will get a game, but either way it will be very good experience for him. Also shows that he is on the selectors radar which is good :smile:
I remember the English bowling coach (David Saker?) saying that the English attack is as good as the Aussie attack which dominated for so long a while ago lol.
Reply 5756
Original post by TheSoulWithin
I remember the English bowling coach (David Saker?) saying that the English attack is as good as the Aussie attack which dominated for so long a while ago lol.

Funny stuff especially when Anderson averages 35+ in 5/8 major playing nations. Anderson (whos the spearhead of englands attack) is probably on par with Lee who was a 3rd seamer of that aussie attack.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Younus Khan a true legend. The only legendary batsman we have.
Go on Jordan! Prove them wrong, lad.
Reply 5759
Just turned sky sports on.

Oh my god. Adonbilivit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest