The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ravi isn't even English :colonhash:
Original post by Louis.
Ravi's gonna play isn't he. His batting is mediocre and he barely bowls any overs but because he was over-criticised for a couple of years he's become untouchable. We should play a proper batsman instead, and let Root bowl the few overs Ravi gets through (3 in 5 matches under Morgan). But we won't.

The Tredwell reasoning is that Morgan/management are worried about 20 overs of right-arm off-spin, which has some logic to it. Not sure the 4 man fast-medium attack is much better though.

England bowling looked pretty good in parts. Anderson's back near his best and Broad will only get better. Apart from today, England are looking OK going in to this tournament based on the Tri-Series.

Questions remain about the death overs, though. I'd personally have Tredwell in the team but aside from him we have very little options.

My issue with Bopara is he only bats well in a losing cause - has he ever pulled off a match-winning knock?

Great piece. That's what I mean about Ravi - choosing him makes sense, but he won't ever get us over the line in a match. He isn't a match-winner.
Original post by Mackay
Great piece. That's what I mean about Ravi - choosing him makes sense, but he won't ever get us over the line in a match. He isn't a match-winner.

Surely it only makes sense to play Bopara as an all-rounder? If you are gonna play him just as a batsman then he isn't really worth it?
Original post by moment of truth
Surely it only makes sense to play Bopara as an all-rounder? If you are gonna play him just as a batsman then he isn't really worth it?

Agreed. If he isn't being used as an all-rounder he is no use at all in the side.

I'd personally rather have Ballance in there, with Moeen further down.

Talk of Hales coming in is way off the mark imo. He's out of form and inexperienced. It would be a massive gamble to deploy him in the side for the World Cup.
Original post by Mackay
Agreed. If he isn't being used as an all-rounder he is no use at all in the side.

I'd personally rather have Ballance in there, with Moeen further down.

Talk of Hales coming in is way off the mark imo. He's out of form and inexperienced. It would be a massive gamble to deploy him in the side for the World Cup.

Do you think they will move Moeen down from the opening spot? He has done decently well as an opener (I think), but I actually think he will do more damage in the World Cup as a bowler lol.
Original post by moment of truth
Do you think they will move Moeen down from the opening spot? He has done decently well as an opener (I think), but I actually think he will do more damage in the World Cup as a bowler lol.

Moeen hasn't done anything to warrant being moved down, but he's going to struggle on bouncier pitches. Everyone will be bowling bouncers at him - and he's likely to have a scattergun approach.
Ben Stokes scored 151 off 86 balls for the Lions against South Africa A. That included 9 sixes from the last 15 legal balls he faced.

I know he's been crap for England for pretty much all of 2014, but if our 6 has to be an 'all-rounder' would there be anything to lose by playing him ahead of Ravi?

He doesn't deserve to be picked based on past performances, but selection isn't just about that, it's about who you think can win you games in the present. Stokes far more likely than Rashid imo. After the WC I hope to see him and Rashid at 6 and 8.
We should stick with this team for the World Cup and hope it clicks. Let's be honest, it's already been a shambles. Why the **** do you remove your captain the series before the World Cup. He should have been gone long before.
Junaid now ruled out. Pathetic luck for us, World Cup over. Our worst team we've ever had going into a World Cup.
Not a surprise about Junaid. Irfan was a doubt with injury while ago, won't be long before he drops. Bhatti probably will make the start but iirc there was a young bowler who was making headlines. Might aswell call him, utterly uninspiring with Pakistan atm.
Original post by Aky786UK
Not a surprise about Junaid. Irfan was a doubt with injury while ago, won't be long before he drops. Bhatti probably will make the start but iirc there was a young bowler who was making headlines. Might aswell call him, utterly uninspiring with Pakistan atm.

Biloo is his replacement yeah. The team is full of dross, at least when we hit 240-250 we always had a chance with our bowling line up- now it's as **** as our batting. It says it all when literally all our hopes are pinned on Shahid bhai :laugh:
Excluding:
A. Series where we played the T20 team
B. Series against non-Test playing nations

We haven't won an ODI series since 2012/13. Losses to New Zealand, Australia, Australia, Sri Lanka, India and Sri Lanka.

Makes sense but I didn't realise it was quite that bad :sigh:
Original post by FellainiSucks
Biloo is his replacement yeah. The team is full of dross, at least when we hit 240-250 we always had a chance with our bowling line up- now it's as **** as our batting. It says it all when literally all our hopes are pinned on Shahid bhai :laugh:

But if we can get another player in, why not? Bhatti was dross v New Zealand. Seems a waste. Or it might be PCB cutting costs as there was a huge furore over Moin Khan tagging along for the tournament.

Afridi's bowling isn't all that anymore though, not as fearsome - in the international arena - as used to be.
Original post by Aky786UK
But if we can get another player in, why not? Bhatti was dross v New Zealand. Seems a waste. Or it might be PCB cutting costs as there was a huge furore over Moin Khan tagging along for the tournament.

Afridi's bowling isn't all that anymore though, not as fearsome - in the international arena - as used to be.

Think we can but Biloo is the one who's been on standby purely to replace Junaid. The guy is awful but we literally have no-else. Well that's just it isn't it. Afridi is over the hill, been decent with the bat. Doubt we'll win a game tbh.
So much negativity about our teams' chances on this thread. We need some Aussies :nopity:
Original post by Louis.
So much negativity about our teams' chances on this thread. We need some Aussies :nopity:

Haha. Have you caught any of our matches yet? It's pathetic mate :laugh:
Haha im not very confident about India's chances either but playing Pakistan first is good for us I would say! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FellainiSucks
Haha. Have you caught any of our matches yet? It's pathetic mate :laugh:

Tbh Pakistan are probably the major side I've seen least of over the last couple of years. You've always had traces of incompetency flashing up now and then, but that was mixed with bits of brilliance and really entertaining players. Now you just seem a bit dull. I struggle to find reasons to watch your games. I imagine Afridi will have at least one innings worth watching in the WC though, probably a 40 off 10 balls in a losing cause :colonhash:

Test side doing alright though, smashing the Aussies and drawing away at New Zealand. Younis going mad kind of helped I suppose :lol:

Latest