The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Louis.
People talking about declaring now are mad. So many runs have been scored throughout the whole test, and so fast. Tricky to know when to declare exactly, but we definitely need a bigger lead.

Fantastic days play. Fantastic test match. Cook, Root and Stokes all brilliant- all will go down as English greats imo. Every result still possible and I don't even know which is the most or the least likely, it's so well poised. Really looking forward to tomorrow.

Declaring is suicidal. To be safe I would say a lead of 350-400 by lunch and see how things look. Less than that and it basically becomes a one day match and I don't fancy our chances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7821
Original post by Louis.
Fantastic days play. Fantastic test match. Cook, Root and Stokes all brilliant- all will go down as English greats imo. Every result still possible and I don't even know which is the most or the least likely, it's so well poised. Really looking forward to tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hold on with Stokes... The guy couldn't buy a run against a trundler like ishant sharma and after a couple of good innings' on a flat track you're already marking him a future great.
Original post by JRP95
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hold on with Stokes... The guy couldn't buy a run against a trundler like ishant sharma and after a couple of good innings' on a flat track you're already marking him a future great.

Haha I know. But I love the guy, took me a while to see it but I've been bigging him up for months. Reckon he'll have a better career than Botham and Flintoff, definitely got the talent.
Original post by Louis.
Haha I know. But I love the guy, took me a while to see it but I've been bigging him up for months. Reckon he'll have a better career than Botham and Flintoff, definitely got the talent.

He'd have to be able to bowl to exceed the best all rounders in English history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
He'd have to be able to bowl to exceed the best all rounders in English history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He hits 90mph, it'll come. He doesn't know his own game well enough yet but it'll come with experience.
Was at Lord's today.

Stokes...wow. What a player. Aggressive, full of belief, and really swashbuckling. Such a joy to watch - and given a few more like him - this England team may yet become extremely watchable.

Cook's hundred dispels the myth he's finished - but he certainly shouldn't ever play a T20 or ODI game again. Let him flourish in red-ball cricket.

Root's smile genuinely brightens up my day. He plays the game as it should be played: with a great smile upon his face!
Apparently it was Paul Farbrace, current temporary England coach, who suggested Stokes at 6 and it's a wonderful move. Ali at number eight, might work better if there's a collapse as he showed in his only Test century vs Sri Lanka that he can dig in so Stokes can attack further up. A draw is on the cards here.
It's amazing England have had the character to be able to dig in really. Didn't expect it from them. And, for all the talk that B-Mac is an aggressive and progressive, forward thinking captain, I thought he was timid as **** once Stokes starting flexing his muscles. They allowed him to come at them. NZ looked - dare I say it - extremely rattled. First time I've seen an England side dominate a session against an upper elite international XI for years.
It's nice to see that England didn't predictably capitulate yesterday! If we can bat till lunch then we've a chance of a draw. NZ win still favourite imo.
An interesting day today. I'd actually suggests all results are very much possible. There seems a decent amount of rough outside leg, but Lord's plays well these days and the outfield seems quick and pacy so England will need 75 more runs I'd suggest.
Original post by Mackay
An interesting day today. I'd actually suggests all results are very much possible. There seems a decent amount of rough outside leg, but Lord's plays well these days and the outfield seems quick and pacy so England will need 75 more runs I'd suggest.

I'd agree with you on the number of runs - the thing I'm most worried about is that we won't have enough time to bowl them out, given how well the pitch has been playing so far. I'd say a draw is most likely, though England have certainly taken the game away from NZ.
By the way, £5.20 for a pint yesterday at Lord's. Scandalous.
Original post by Mackay
By the way, £5.20 for a pint yesterday at Lord's. Scandalous.

:eek: Can you not smuggle your own cans in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
:eek: Can you not smuggle your own cans in

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd imagine so but I didn't! It made Wembley seem cheap.
I don't think we have enough here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What a start! The atmosphere is incredible. Best Test match I've seen on English soil since the 2009 Ashes probably.
Game over unless NZ can do something special here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7837
Original post by moment of truth
Game over unless NZ can do something special here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Draw still on the cards. And I would be disappointed if England don't win it from here, what a comeback they've made!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Draw is still very much on the cards. We've seen Kane and B-Mac dig in before. A wicket before lunch means it's England's, though. Come on Wood/Stokes!
Also crazy stuff at Hove with 21 wickets already by lunch on Day 2 in Sussex v Bears.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest