The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orcprocess
Mumbai is taking Chennai apart :P

I expected Mumbai to trouble CSK, but not to this extend. 112 all out. :colondollar:

It was funny, the 2 million dollar player just scored 5 runs and the over he bowled went for 16. lol
Original post by like a boss
Why the hell was Katy Perry at the IPL opening ceremony?

Her legs :coma:
Original post by areyouthere?
England playing well, from here I would say if England are to win, it can only be an innings victory, so they should try and get about 450+, declare around 4th day evening and try and get SL all out before the end of the day 5.

But there is also a high possibility of the match ending as a draw.

You think if they bat to the end of the 4th day and declare they'll make only 450? 450 should be on the cards by the close of play tomorrow, even with a relatively slow run rate.
Original post by Captain Crash
You think if they bat to the end of the 4th day and declare they'll make only 450? 450 should be on the cards by the close of play tomorrow, even with a relatively slow run rate.

450 by end of tomorrow is not possible at the run rate they are going and as wickets fall they'll try to slow it down and they too would be having in their minds not to bat again. I meant round 450 day 4 lunch or something.
Richard Levi what boss, great buy
Original post by areyouthere?
450 by end of tomorrow is not possible at the run rate they are going and as wickets fall they'll try to slow it down and they too would be having in their minds not to bat again. I meant round 450 day 4 lunch or something.

Cook aside (who's now out), England have been batting at >3 an over. Getting 290 runs from 90 overs isn't really pushing that runrate.
Reply 1206
Pietersen should be allowed to switch his grip as and when he likes. The only thing should be that if he switches before the ball is bowled, then both sides of the wicket should be treated as the off side for lbw purposes.
Cook aside (who's now out), England have been batting at >3 an over. Getting 290 runs from 90 overs isn't really pushing that runrate.

Ok. I lose. :colondollar:

I didn't expect KP to bat like this, my prediction has gone wrong as usual. :redface:
4-41 lost since the 6th wicket, seems a bit "wasteful" in Aggers's words...

Still, kudos to KP. A win is very much on the cards if we can get them out for less than 300.
Pietersoooooon... Pietersoooooooon.
Wish people would stop discussing the IPL when we have proper cricket in SL v Eng.

Oh and not sure what the problem is with KP and the switch bit. The only thing I'd say is the lbw situation should change. Apart from that can't see anything wrong at all with that shot.
Reply 1211
Good innings for Eng today. Cook was unlucky, batted really well and may have jsut had a concentration lapse right at the end? :/

Trott was there as usual!

Pietersen was epic today, exciting innings and it made a nice break from the below par run rate we had with Cook/Strauss/Trott (nothing bad as they stayed in there, it's just not as good to watch).

Hopefully we will bowl SL out tomorrow, but Mahela is beautiful to watch, so Im happy to let him get another hundred :P

IPL now....KKR are being destroyed :frown:
Original post by WdA04
Good innings for Eng today. Cook was unlucky, batted really well and may have jsut had a concentration lapse right at the end? :/

Trott was there as usual!

Pietersen was epic today, exciting innings and it made a nice break from the below par run rate we had with Cook/Strauss/Trott (nothing bad as they stayed in there, it's just not as good to watch).

Hopefully we will bowl SL out tomorrow, but Mahela is beautiful to watch, so Im happy to let him get another hundred :P

IPL now....KKR are being destroyed :frown:

Hope Sangakarra gets int form and Him and Mahela put an another record partnership!! lol
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
Oh and not sure what the problem is with KP and the switch bit. The only thing I'd say is the lbw situation should change. Apart from that can't see anything wrong at all with that shot.

I think the issue is the bowler being able to spot the switch before starting the delivery and aborting, leading to a stalemate. Technically the rules state that the delivery starts with the landing of the back foot and any switch after this is fair game. The issue is what about switches before this? Also, how does the umpire, who is presumably occupied by the batsman, and possibly the bowlers front foot, expect to observe and judge the back foot and the batsman's hands at the same time?

It's an interesting discussion. I agree with the switch hit in principle, but there some technical issues which were highlighted in this game.
I think the issue is the bowler being able to spot the switch before starting the delivery and aborting, leading to a stalemate. Technically the rules state that the delivery starts with the landing of the back foot and any switch after this is fair game. The issue is what about switches before this? Also, how does the umpire, who is presumably occupied by the batsman, and possibly the bowlers front foot, expect to observe and judge the back foot and the batsman's hands at the same time?

It's an interesting discussion. I agree with the switch hit in principle, but there some technical issues which were highlighted in this game.

Well I personally think the batsman can do what he likes in the crease before or after the ball is bowled.
Well I personally think the batsman can do what he likes in the crease before or after the ball is bowled.

It's unfortunate then that the MCC and the laws of the game don't agree with you. From an MCC statement today:

"If the bowler has entered his delivery stride i.e. his back foot has landed, then, according to the Laws, the batsman is within his rights to change his grip. Of course, the bowler, on seeing the change of grip or stance, may still want to bowl at the striker - he may feel his chances of taking a wicket are increased and that he should not be prevented from delivering the ball. The umpires should allow him to have this option.

"In summary, therefore, MCC's interpretation is that a batsman is still entitled to play the switch-hit stroke but he is only allowed to alter from one stance or grip to another once the bowler has entered his delivery stride."

Moreover, would you grant the bowler the same freedom? To switch arms or relation to the wicket at a whim?
Moreover, would you grant the bowler the same freedom? To switch arms or relation to the wicket at a whim?

To be fair, bowlers nowdays bowl googly's can be regarded as equivalent of batsmen switch hit.
Original post by razmazterz
To be fair, bowlers nowdays bowl googly's can be regarded as equivalent of batsmen switch hit.

How so? A googly is merely a wrist spin ball that spins towards, rather than away to the leg side. It's about as devious as a pace bowler bowling an outswinger rather than an inswinger. A bowler's switch hit equivalent would be running up over the wicket with the ball in right hand, only to switch hands and bowl left handed around (or 'left handed over') the wicket, which is clearly blocked by the rules.
How so? A googly is merely a wrist spin ball that spins towards, rather than away to the leg side. It's about as devious as a pace bowler bowling an outswinger rather than an inswinger. A bowler's switch hit equivalent would be running up over the wicket with the ball in right hand, only to switch hands and bowl left handed around (or 'left handed over') the wicket, which is clearly blocked by the rules.

So the batsmen is unware how the bowler is going to bowl, since it can spin(if a fast bowler swing the other way). If you allow switch hit in the game, you would make the game ever so excting, as the bowler will now have to think how to block that shot. Also its not easy to play the switch hit, KP makes it looks so easy.

Altough I do understand your point, its one of the few rules in the game that are very modern and looking to be changed.

Latest