The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

India seem keen for bilateral relations to resume before cricket and if on that basis then it's going to be a while for cricket ties to resume. Sport shouldn't be intertwined with politics but it does in India and Pakistan and if they went backwards and thought, small steps might help in building bigger bridges then some sort of start could be Pakistan players playing in the IPL. But like Straight Up said, it's ideal for Pakistan players to be resting ahead of a potential series with Sri Lanka.

Let's hope peace breaks out, if not for cricketing relations but for both countries' citizens.
Anyone have any thoughts on Wisden's Cricketers of the year?

-Tim Bresnan
-Alastair Cook
-Kumar Sangakarra
-Glen Chapple
-Alan Richardson

As a reminder, the awards are given to the five cricketers who have had the biggest impact on the English Cricket Season, whether International or domestic. Previous winners cannot win it.

Personally, I can't think of anyone who's better deserves the prize as the rest of the England test team have previously won the accolade, as have any note worthy toursts (i.e. Dravid)
Reply 1302
Original post by Captain Crash
Anyone have any thoughts on Wisden's Cricketers of the year?

-Tim Bresnan
-Alastair Cook
-Kumar Sangakarra
-Glen Chapple
-Alan Richardson

As a reminder, the awards are given to the five cricketers who have had the biggest impact on the English Cricket Season, whether International or domestic. Previous winners cannot win it.

Personally, I can't think of anyone who's better deserves the prize as the rest of the England test team have previously won the accolade, as have any note worthy toursts (i.e. Dravid)

Would question Bresnan, yes he has been great last 12 months but Jimmy Anderson was more a worthy winner - not sure if he has won before!
Tim Bresnan has had an impact and England have never lost without him I believe. And we must not forget Alistair Cook giving the Aussie bowlers a good thrashing.

Second week of the county season and some interesting games already, especially Middlesex v Surrey.
Original post by Keelo
Would question Bresnan, yes he has been great last 12 months but Jimmy Anderson was more a worthy winner - not sure if he has won before!

Jimmy won it a few years ago. In fact, I believe the only England player who hasn't is Bopara/Patel....
A Pakistan side arrive in England, keen to impress.
A mystery spinner and solid, clever fast-medium made up part of the bowling attack, but it was dominated by the most impressive young cricketer in the world, and an established master at work.
One bowled with pace, aggression and swung it both ways, the other with complete mastery over line, length, seam and swing.
One was a left hander, one was a right hander.
They dominated with the ball and eventually scraped home with the bat in a momentous win at the Oval.
They became the talk of the cricketing world, the youngster winning most of the plaudits. The youngster, it was claimed, could become the greatest ever.

Am I talking about Wasim and Waqar, or Amir and Asif?
Original post by Strangeclouds
A Pakistan side arrive in England, keen to impress.
A mystery spinner and solid, clever fast-medium made up part of the bowling attack, but it was dominated by the most impressive young cricketer in the world, and an established master at work.
One bowled with pace, aggression and swung it both ways, the other with complete mastery over line, length, seam and swing.
One was a left hander, one was a right hander.
They dominated with the ball and eventually scraped home with the bat in a momentous win at the Oval.
They became the talk of the cricketing world, the youngster winning most of the plaudits. The youngster, it was claimed, could become the greatest ever.

Am I talking about Wasim and Waqar, or Amir and Asif?

I'm guessing Ami and Asifr, because i am sure that Wasim and Waqar were the best in the world at one time, and i remember that Amir and Asif had a really good series in England before the spot-fixing incident.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'll let a few more people guess.
Original post by Strangeclouds
I'll let a few more people guess.

Amir + Asif. When Wasim Waqar came they'd just won the world cup and were established. Also it was Pak in 2010 that won at Oval with the bat at the end.
AB and Gayles doing it again for RCB.

thread gone really quite, have exams, as well guys? all the best :smile:
Original post by areyouthere?
AB and Gayles doing it again for RCB.

thread gone really quite, have exams, as well guys? all the best :smile:

Its also because there isnt any international matches atm except Australia vs West Indies, which i dont think a lot of people are keeping an eye on.
Original post by shyamshah
Its also because there isnt any international matches atm except Australia vs West Indies, which i dont think a lot of people are keeping an eye on.

What about the IPL? Why aren't the English interested in it?

Because it's a tournament of artificially created teams full of players only there for the money in a location that isn't conducive to good gripping game balanced between ball and bat.

Give me the country championship any day of the week.

Also the clue might be in the name indian premier league. On the whole, English don't care about domestic sports outside of England, whether the IPL, Big Bash league or the BPL. The same way I wouldn't expect Indians to follow domestic cricket in England.
Reply 1314
I'm watching bits of it. I can't get that into it because I can't develop an attachment to any particular team, but take now, watching KP and Sehwag batting requiring 10 an over is worth watching for me. They've got some of the best players in the world playing over there and for that reason alone i'm happy to watch some of it.

Couldn't tell you which teams are doing well and which aren't, couldn't even tell you the two teams i'm watching at the moment, so there's not much for me to discuss here. I'm identifying the teams as 'Gilchrist's team' or 'KP's team' at the moment :teehee:
Original post by Captain Crash
Because it's a tournament of artificially created teams full of players only there for the money in a location that isn't conducive to good gripping game balanced between ball and bat.

Give me the country championship any day of the week.

im sure if u prefer 4 days washed out by rain in chilly april rather than getting some sort of practice playing with international players... then go for it :smile:
Original post by sachinisgod
im sure if u prefer 4 days washed out by rain in chilly april rather than getting some sort of practice playing with international players... then go for it :smile:

If you'd been keeping an eye on the CC scores you'd know that the start of the season has been an absolute cracker, with batsmen having to battle against rampant (international) bowlers. So much so, that after 3 rounds of games in the CC across two divisions, there has only been one draw so far (and that was a cracker with Yorkshire batting to save the game).

If you are a fan of cricket you should value the long version of the game over the shorter version. Yes, Twenty20 is more immediately entertaining, but it's a watering down of the skill of cricket. Batsmen play baseball shots and bowlers focus less on wicket taking deliveries than economical bowling. Test cricket is where it's at. And when there's no test cricket, the best domestic long form of the game is a reasonable substitute. :smile:
Reply 1317
Am I the only one who thinks the standard of bowling and fielding in the IPL is just woeful?
I've only been watching for 20 minutes and I've already seen two schoolboy misfields and the easier dropped catch.
I wouldn't expect to see such elementary errors in my village team.

Standard of the English T20 cup >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> IPL
Reply 1318
Oh look, another slow thigh high full toss... and people wonder why they play baseball shots. :rolleyes:
Reply 1319
Christ if I ever bowled an over that bad I think I would just give up cricket.

Latest