The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Crash
Considering the Windies just got thrashed by the England B team, that's not an unreasonable expectation.

In other news - Bairstow included for the first test at the expense of injured Bopara.

What does Taylor have to do to get into the squad? He's by far the best young batsman in England at the moment (except cook who is already in the team), averages near 50, and might even be a candidate for future captaincy (though Cook since he's only a bit older might reign for a long time).

I suspect the excuse might be Taylor hasn't done well this year in county, but he's been overall throughout his county career great, plus he hit a bloody hundred in the Lions game against West Indies setting up the victory. Surely if he's done it just now, he can do it again (because he'll be facing pretty much the same attack).
Considering the Windies just got thrashed by the England B team, that's not an unreasonable expectation.

In other news - Bairstow included for the first test at the expense of injured Bopara.

I still think they will put up a fight, even though their bowling failed in this match, they have a decent bowling attack. It is their batting which is a worry.
Bairstow probably wont play anyway but it's a good experience for him.
Original post by LemonLizards
What does Taylor have to do to get into the squad? He's by far the best young batsman in England at the moment (except cook who is already in the team), averages near 50, and might even be a candidate for future captaincy (though Cook since he's only a bit older might reign for a long time).

I suspect the excuse might be Taylor hasn't done well this year in county, but he's been overall throughout his county career great, plus he hit a bloody hundred in the Lions game against West Indies setting up the victory. Surely if he's done it just now, he can do it again (because he'll be facing pretty much the same attack).

Taylor's had a poor start to the season and an average season last year. He's also a bit one dimensional, looking to play everything onto the leg side - he might have succeeded against the Windies, but he needs to develop before being up to the task of facing Aus, Pak or SA.

Meanwhile Bairstow has been averaging over 50 for last season and this. He's a powerful player, which is what we need for a number 6. Taylor will get his opportunity when one of the top order drop out. He's only 22 ffs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by shyamshah
I still think they will put up a fight, even though their bowling failed in this match, they have a decent bowling attack. It is their batting which is a worry.
Bairstow probably wont play anyway but it's a good experience for him.

If England go with 4 bowlers (and there's little reason to suggest they won't), he will play as Bopara and Patel haven't been picked.
If England go with 4 bowlers (and there's little reason to suggest they won't), he will play as Bopara and Patel haven't been picked.

Oh yeah, so he will bat at number 6. England might choose to go with 4 seamers and Swann but that will leave Prior batting at 6 which leaves the batting a bit weak. Do you think England will whitewash WI?
Taylor's had a poor start to the season and an average season last year. He's also a bit one dimensional, looking to play everything onto the leg side - he might have succeeded against the Windies, but he needs to develop before being up to the task of facing Aus, Pak or SA.

Meanwhile Bairstow has been averaging over 50 for last season and this. He's a powerful player, which is what we need for a number 6. Taylor will get his opportunity when one of the top order drop out. He's only 22 ffs.

Bairstow is the same age as Taylor. And taylor probably has a little bit more experience. Taylor's the better batsman from what I've seen. I could perhaps understand if they'd chosen someone a bit older, but as I said I don't really see how Bairstow is a better talent than Taylor.

And with Morgan not really looking test class, and not sure about bopara, you'd have thought Taylor would be next in line. Despite his age.

You don't really need a powerful player at six in tests. Just need good batsmen. Taylor could have got some valuable experience here against the West Indies even if he only played this test series and then replaced with bopara. He's had really impressive outings with the lions and international is really the next step up.
Oh yeah, so he will bat at number 6. England might choose to go with 4 seamers and Swann but that will leave Prior batting at 6 which leaves the batting a bit weak. Do you think England will whitewash WI?

Since the end of Flintoff and the discovery of Swann as an attacking spinner, England haven't considered a 5 bowler lineup, certainly not in England conditions.

I don't think England will whitewash the WI as I believe weather will affect enough of at least one game to force a draw.
Original post by LemonLizards
Bairstow is the same age as Taylor. And taylor probably has a little bit more experience. Taylor's the better batsman from what I've seen. I could perhaps understand if they'd chosen someone a bit older, but as I said I don't really see how Bairstow is a better talent than Taylor.

And with Morgan not really looking test class, and not sure about bopara, you'd have thought Taylor would be next in line. Despite his age.

You don't really need a powerful player at six in tests. Just need good batsmen. Taylor could have got some valuable experience here against the West Indies even if he only played this test series and then replaced with bopara. He's had really impressive outings with the lions and international is really the next step up.

I believe Bairstow is a more naturally talented player, albeit a bit 'raw', than Taylor. He also has more experience saving a match from number 6 after a Yorkshire batting collapse (heh...) which is what England need. I also think Taylor has some technical failings that would exposed in international cricket, if not by the WIs, particularly a tendency to play across the line onto the leg side leaving himself open to LBW.

Getting a bit ahead of ourselves aren't we?
Original post by dgeorge
Getting a bit ahead of ourselves aren't we?

How? I am just suggesting a way that England might go with and I never said that I think England will whitewash WI.
How? I am just suggesting a way that England might go with and I never said that I think England will whitewash WI.

The fact that you asked the question would indicate that you think that there's a chance that this will happen doesn't it?

Bear in mind, I have no problem if you DO think so, and I'll give it to you that England are obviously the superior team. I'm just showing support for MY team :P
Original post by dgeorge
The fact that you asked the question would indicate that you think that there's a chance that this will happen doesn't it?

Bear in mind, I have no problem if you DO think so, and I'll give it to you that England are obviously the superior team. I'm just showing support for MY team :P

I'm just asking that because I saw articles which have suggested this and I wanted to see from an English fan (captain crash) what he thought. Obviously there is a chance that it will happen, but I still believe that WI wil put up a fight.
I'm sorry if it seemed wrong, but I was in no way trying to suggest that WI are going to get whitewashed.
I'm just asking that because I saw articles which have suggested this and I wanted to see from an English fan (captain crash) what he thought. Obviously there is a chance that it will happen, but I still believe that WI wil put up a fight.
I'm sorry if it seemed wrong, but I was in no way trying to suggest that WI are going to get whitewashed.

No problems bro, I ain't mad
Dwayne Bravo's not a great test player is he? Gayle will play in the ODIs probably but not gonna happen in the tests, you could use him though cause he has been in sublime form in the IPL. Shiv and Darren Bravo have a lot of work to do if it stays the way it is.

He's a good player with great potential. He's a lot like Brian Lara, whether he can be as good would be wildly good if true, right now he can't score as freely as Lara. But give it time.

Oops sorry thought you meant Darren Bravo. But I might as well leave the rest of the post, it stands.
I believe Bairstow is a more naturally talented player, albeit a bit 'raw', than Taylor. He also has more experience saving a match from number 6 after a Yorkshire batting collapse (heh...) which is what England need. I also think Taylor has some technical failings that would exposed in international cricket, if not by the WIs, particularly a tendency to play across the line onto the leg side leaving himself open to LBW.

Paul Collingwood played across the line all the time, and he turned out alright.

Basically Collingwood jumped out at the right time, signing off with an ashes victory, but we still haven't solved the problem of his replacement have we.
(edited 11 years ago)
Since the end of Flintoff and the discovery of Swann as an attacking spinner, England haven't considered a 5 bowler lineup, certainly not in England conditions.

I don't think England will whitewash the WI as I believe weather will affect enough of at least one game to force a draw.

True, although look at what's happened in the County Championship. You don't necessarily need 5 (or even 3) days to force a result when the ball is nibbling.
Original post by Raiden10
Paul Collingwood played across the line all the time, and he turned out alright.

Basically Collingwood jumped out at the right time, signing off with an ashes victory, but we still haven't solved the problem of his replacement have we.

Sure, but did Collingwood ever not have his place under question? I'm a bigger fan of Collingwood than most but save for a few too brief periods, he was always going to be the first batsman dropped.

Taylor has been playing at Trent Bridge in a wet April though, conditions which can combine to make any old donkey look as skilled with the ball as Wasim Akram.

Don't really know about tendencies to play across the line, but I do agree that the modern number 6 role is usually suited to a powerful, attacking player. However with Prior and Broad and Swann adding upto two attacking batsmen, and considering WI have a strong fast bowling attack (the number 6 will face the second new ball if things go to plan), from a match-winning point of view, he's probably not the right guy imo. Taylor has shown form against this attack, is a future captain and playing at 6 is a great way to bed into test cricket, so personally think he should have been the man. Bairstow could yet succeed.
Read this on Pakpassion just now, almost wet myself.

There's a massive thread on Kamran Akmal, detailing 88 dropped catches he's made since 2006 or something, telling you what the batsman's score was on when he dropped them, what they finally made, and giving the cricinfo commentary of the delivery/catch etc. So someone tries to stick up for Kamran Akmal, and this was one of the replies;

Originally Posted by intothevoid
Ok then why not play him JUST as a batsmen? Why not have Umar keep?

yaar he's explosive don't you understand.

His average in ODIs is 27 something. Those 27 runs scored EXPLOSIVELY can win us matches single handedly.

Moreover there's not a single player in Pakistan who can score 27 runs explosively. He's the only one.

We have to live with his dropped catches, stumpings, runouts, pathetic smile after missing a chance or getting out on 10 runs, but we cannot and should not miss his explosive batting after every 4-5 series.
I don't know why, but I am really excited for the England WI series. If England win the toss and there are clouds, it will be a very important session for WI and they will have a tough session to survive. If WI win the toss I can see the same happening to England, WI have a great seam attack and England need to be aware of that.

Latest