The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Crash
Mark Nicholas =/= the media.

In any case, even at their height, Australia struggled on the subcontinent. It took four attempts to win a series in India and two attempts to win in Sri Lanka, despite crucifying everyone everywhere else.

Still they didn't get humiliated like England jus now in the UAE
Tbh, Cricinfo named this England team as one of the five best test teams ever, in the company of the Invincibles etc. That was just before Ajmal tore Bell a new ******** and Pakistan made a mockery of a much lauded England team for the second time in 7 years. Greatness is achieving consistent series wins away from home against every other team, and England have got a long way to go. Beating the weakest Australia team in 25 years, scraping a 1-1 draw against SA, getting humiliated by a modest Pakistan and drawing with a mediocre Sri Lanka is hardly the stuff of greatness.

Yes, I did just call Pakistan modest. The openers are weak, the middle order is solid but unspectacular, the keeper (whoever plays) ranges from average to abysmal, the spinners are excellent if not legendary, and the fast bowling is average. In general its an average team, propped up by the spin twins and Younus Khan, not the kind you'd expect to be destroying England 3-0. In 2005, England put up a better fight against a much stronger team; (arguably) the worlds best middle and lower order, a rampant Shoaib, and Kaneria at his peak.

So yeah, Cricinfo's analysis/articles are usually weak/average. I remember reading that some of their selection panel wouldn't put Inzamam in their all time Pak XI. Screw Baresi and Maldini.
Original post by razmazterz
Yeah I do agree with you. There is no number 1 outstanding test team-that has dominated like Australia did. (or even in the Windies in the 70s-80s
Englang-South Africa will give us a good indication how good are the number 1 side.
And the series in India will be their biggest challenge but I am guessing they wont struggle as much, seeing how weak our Indian side have become:/

Even though our Indian team has played crap recently, at home we are still a force and England will struggle, that is what I am hoping anyway. I personally beieve SA will beat England but we will see, will be a good close series. Got my summer set up watching it :smile:
Another comparison between Australia and England. Thoughts?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-west-indies-2012/content/current/story/566645.html
Original post by Strangeclouds
Tbh, Cricinfo named this England team as one of the five best test teams ever, in the company of the Invincibles etc. That was just before Ajmal tore Bell a new ******** and Pakistan made a mockery of a much lauded England team for the second time in 7 years. Greatness is achieving consistent series wins away from home against every other team, and England have got a long way to go. Beating the weakest Australia team in 25 years, scraping a 1-1 draw against SA, getting humiliated by a modest Pakistan and drawing with a mediocre Sri Lanka is hardly the stuff of greatness.

Yes, I did just call Pakistan modest. The openers are weak, the middle order is solid but unspectacular, the keeper (whoever plays) ranges from average to abysmal, the spinners are excellent if not legendary, and the fast bowling is average. In general its an average team, propped up by the spin twins and Younus Khan, not the kind you'd expect to be destroying England 3-0. In 2005, England put up a better fight against a much stronger team; (arguably) the worlds best middle and lower order, a rampant Shoaib, and Kaneria at his peak.

So yeah, Cricinfo's analysis/articles are usually weak/average. I remember reading that some of their selection panel wouldn't put Inzamam in their all time Pak XI. Screw Baresi and Maldini.

To be honest people are overrating this England team excessively man. Good post too.

Original post by shyamshah
Another comparison between Australia and England. Thoughts?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-west-indies-2012/content/current/story/566645.html

Pathetic man. Anderson is overrated, I don't care what anybody says. Broad is something else (in a good way) and so is Bresnan actually.
Samules is legend! 'Shut up. I'm going to get back-to-back hundreds'.
When all England's fielders were sledging him!
Original post by TheProdigy2k9

Pathetic man. Anderson is overrated, I don't care what anybody says. Broad is something else (in a good way) and so is Bresnan actually.

Why don't you think Anderson is good? Its not what the rankings and statistics in the last 18 months say...

I don't think anyone really think he's as good as McGrath - thats just retarded - but he is certainly up there with Steyn at the moment.
That is fair enough but even then, who have you beaten at home and away? A WI team which are rebuilding, a poor Indian side last year, a Bangladesh side, plus an Australia team who was not very good. Until you beat a very good team you can't really be considered a great team. We will see how you do against SA, but atm it's not true.

Its hilarious how every single team England go on to crush is then described as 'the weakest in bla bla bla'. That Aus team they beat, drew in SA and beat Ind 4-0. Up till when Ind came here they were the number one ranked team in the world. They played SA AWAY at SA couldn't beat them...
Reply 1608
This English team is one of the best ever teams to play in England.
Original post by Vazzyb
Its hilarious how every single team England go on to crush is then described as 'the weakest in bla bla bla'. That Aus team they beat, drew in SA and beat Ind 4-0. Up till when Ind came here they were the number one ranked team in the world. They played SA AWAY at SA couldn't beat them...

Everyone knew that India are poor away from home, I am not making excuses. England played amazingly well but you have got to admit that the India team that came was not excellent. We lost Zaheer Khan on the first day, Gambhir was ill during the first match I think and Sehwag only came in the third test match. Also the Selectors were stupid to play Raina when they know that he is not very good against the short ball, when there are other capable youngsters available.

The Australia team they beat were not great also, they were rebuilding. We will see how good England really is against SA and India in India.

India were the number one team but we had only played two series away from home, SA which we managed to draw 1-1 and WI who we won 2-0 but even that wasn't very convincing.
South Africa will probably beat England, and then all this great team nonsense will be stopped. I just can't fathom how a team that recently lost 4 tests in a row can be regarded as a great team. Their win over India, put into perspective by Australia's whitewash of them was good but hardly remarkable. Then they beat a bunch of inexperienced, corrupt Pakistanis. They lauded the class of 2005, and look what greatness they achieved after their admittedly phenomenal win over a magnificent Australia team.
Original post by Vazzyb
Why don't you think Anderson is good? Its not what the rankings and statistics in the last 18 months say...

I don't think anyone really think he's as good as McGrath - thats just retarded - but he is certainly up there with Steyn at the moment.

Noone compares to Dale Steyn. #fact.
Original post by Vazzyb

He hasn't done nothing special for me. People keep saying he bowled amazing in the Ashes. He didn't bowl that well, it wasn't anything extraordinary. I wouldn't say he's up there with Steyn at all, Steyn could possibly go on to be the greatest bowler of all time. Says a lot about the current state of bowlers if he's up there.

Original post by Vazzyb

Funny that, I thought they got crushed by Pakistan. Haha.

Original post by py0alb
This English team is one of the best ever teams to play in England.

Probably can't disagree with that. At home these lot are just on another level. I think that's why I can't see SA winning here.
Everyone knew that India are poor away from home, I am not making excuses. England played amazingly well but you have got to admit that the India team that came was not excellent. We lost Zaheer Khan on the first day, Gambhir was ill during the first match I think and Sehwag only came in the third test match. Also the Selectors were stupid to play Raina when they know that he is not very good against the short ball, when there are other capable youngsters available.

Excuses, excuses. If India are consistently poor away from home or can't cope if a key player breaks down, then they're hardly staking their claim to be called a great team.

The Australia team they beat were not great also, they were rebuilding.

The Australian team that was so weak it went on to win in SL and draw in SA immediately afterwards? Give over. The Aussie team is not the one of the early 2000s, but it is still one of the stronger teams in the world at the moment, particularly at home.
We will see how good England really is against SA and India in India.

Is this the same SA that England have already played away not so long ago and drew? The only challenges left for England are to win on the subcontinent, particularly in India (which took the great 90s/00s Aussie team 4 attempts to do) and win in Pakistan away (which many of the 80s Windies team consider to be the crown of their record breaking run)
He hasn't done nothing special for me. People keep saying he bowled amazing in the Ashes. He didn't bowl that well, it wasn't anything extraordinary. I wouldn't say he's up there with Steyn at all, Steyn could possibly go on to be the greatest bowler of all time. Says a lot about the current state of bowlers if he's up there.

24 wickets at 26.04? Show me another swing bowler who bowled away in Australia with better stats.

I agree he's probably not quite as good as Steyn (who has a long way before he can be called the greatest bowler of all time....) but he's not that far behind.

Funny that, I thought they got crushed by Pakistan. Haha.

They were whitewashed, but I wouldn't called it crushed. The difference between the two sides were Ajmal and the England upper order. If you created a composite team of the two teams from the series, you'd have at least 4 England players. Hardly a signed of being 'crushed'. Compare and contrast with the 2007 Ashes series, where only Pietersen would have possibly made it into the Australian side.

Not that any of this will stop Pakistan fans from crowing about it though.... :wink:
Steyn, Morkel and Philander are a step above Amir, Asif and Gul, and those three caused England no end of problems, the awful Pakistani fielding didn't help either. So I expect the trio, as well as Amla to star in a series win for SA. Smith, Boucher and Tahir could be weak points.
Original post by Strangeclouds
Steyn, Morkel and Philander are a step above Amir, Asif and Gul, and those three caused England no end of problems, the awful Pakistani fielding didn't help either. So I expect the trio, as well as Amla to star in a series win for SA. Smith, Boucher and Tahir could be weak points.

Morkel is overated. Philander is enjoying a typical (if more successful than normal) bowlers honeymoon before the batsman figure them out. He isn't exactly setting the county championship on fire so far - currently he's 48th in the list of averages this season.

Amir and Asif were better bowlers than either of them.
Morkel is overated. Philander is enjoying a typical (if more successful than normal) bowlers honeymoon before the batsman figure them out. He isn't exactly setting the county championship on fire so far - currently he's 48th in the list of averages this season.

Amir and Asif were better bowlers than either of them.

I agree, Philander could well be the fast bowling Ajantha Mendis, but as of yet, he hasn't been figured out. Test cricket changes people, and Philander hasn't exactly been horrible in the CC. Morkel is a confidence bowler, and both him and Steyn will be buzzing after having some fun in India over the past few weeks.

Which trio would you have, Amir, Asif and Gul, or Steyn, Morkel and Philander? The latter, no question. Amir and Asif were probably the best two bowlers on the planet behind Steyn, or at least 2 of the top 4/5, but as a unit, mainly because Steyn is so far ahead of the game, SA win.
MS Dhoni has played 570 days of international cricket in the last 7 years more than anybody else.
Kevin Pietersen (557 days) and Mike Hussey (555 days) are next on list for who have played the most international cricket in last 7 years.
Amazing stat there^^
Excuses, excuses. If India are consistently poor away from home or can't cope if a key player breaks down, then they're hardly staking their claim to be called a great team.

The Australian team that was so weak it went on to win in SL and draw in SA immediately afterwards? Give over. The Aussie team is not the one of the early 2000s, but it is still one of the stronger teams in the world at the moment, particularly at home.

Is this the same SA that England have already played away not so long ago and drew? The only challenges left for England are to win on the subcontinent, particularly in India (which took the great 90s/00s Aussie team 4 attempts to do) and win in Pakistan away (which many of the 80s Windies team consider to be the crown of their record breaking run)

Well tbf I dont think a lot of Indian fans (myself included) would say that the India team which was the number 1 for around 2 years was a great team in all conditions, for a few reasons. 1) The lack of tours away from home, we only had SA which we drew, WI which we won 2-0 and then Englnad which we lost 4-0 obviously. The reason for this is the BCCI for the schedule and the team selection.

I never said the Australian team was weak, I just said they were rebuilding which is true, but even then SL are a pretty weak team atm, without Murali there bowling looks weak.

That was in 2009 when England drew 1-1 with SA, I would say both teams have got better since then and both teams deffo have the best attacks in the world atm so it will be an exciting series. I agree, if England beat India later this year then you can say that England deserve to be number 1 and are a great team.

Latest