Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Harling Farm Pig Abuse

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: The farmer who owned this farm was found dead this morning (likely suicide). Such a sad case.

A farm in Norfolk (Harling Farm) has been caught out by an undercover guy killing their pigs with iron bars repeatedly. A farm which has the "Red Tractor" standards displayed on their meat (ie, they claim to treat animals well)

Some may find this video distressing.
    http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQK4261GXyg

The farmer has been on the news denying all knowledge this has been going on (yeah right) and actually said that "it has been dramatised" and that the guy who was undercover should have been looking after these pigs. Essentially he is blaming the guy who caught him out. I hope he gets taken to court and loses his business.

It's now emerged that the Red Tractor standards agency that monitor farms write in weeks in advance of their inspections, making it virtually impossible to know how common assault is on farms. The Bernard Matthews case was caught by an undercover guy, and Jamie Oliver had to expose lots of chicken farms that had barbaric standards also.

Does anyone know who Harling Farm supplies their meat to? Because I will be avoiding it like the plague, along with all Bernard Matthews products after they were exposed playing "rounders" with their turkeys.

In fact I'm now so worried that abuse to animals is so common that I am going to seriously consider becoming a vegetarian.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not being funny, but I don't think an abused chicken or pig would taste any different to a non abused one.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    great you just made me waste a nice bacon butty.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    Not being funny, but I don't think an abused chicken or pig would taste any different to a non abused one.
    Missing the point, intentionally, entirely. Well done.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    Animal rights.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King-Panther)
    Animal rights.
    Please don't reduce all animal welfare/interest based arguments and motives to animal rights.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    peppa pig ftw
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    its been taken off youtube. the video is on the bbc website here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17016214
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    pretty sick to be honest. Can't really understand why anyone would actually want to do that to an animal. Can't really understand why they would want to do it to a human either...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinman1)
    In fact I'm now so worried that abuse to animals is so common that I am going to seriously consider becoming a vegetarian.
    Go vegan?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Go vegan?
    I've spent most the day looking at vegan recipes and I've made the decision to stop consuming meat/dairy/eggs. Can't quite believe how much a single video has affected me, but there we go, a lifestyle change is most definitely in order.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    So beating them with an iron bar is cruel, but slaughtering them and eating their flesh is a-ok?

You people are weird!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    :thumbdown:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    So beating them with an iron bar is cruel, but slaughtering them and eating their flesh is a-ok?

You people are weird!
    I'm 18 and I've never felt okay eating meat, but have had to eat what is cooked for me. I also always made it clear to my mum that I would only ever eat free-range eggs and red tractor approved meats, however seeing this, and then researching other cases of abuse, I now see that all means nothing. I also visited a local farm last week which opens to the public and its pigs were kept in tiny,couped up pens. The mothers of piglets were literally crammed in a tiny space with bars around her. I haven't eaten any meat since then but have realised from today that it's likely most animals never have any sort of "quality of life" before they are killed. I no longer want to be any part of it.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've spent most the day looking at vegan recipes and I've made the decision to stop consuming meat/dairy/eggs. Can't quite believe how much a single video has affected me, but there we go, a lifestyle change is most definitely in order.
    It can be difficult but before I turned vegan I had a very low meat intake, and a relatively low dairy one. I previously drank skimmed milk so turning to soya was fine. I did use Alpro chocolate version first. Some people jump to soya whilst being used to whole milk and I think that might not be the best method as I did that before and failed. My main gripe is I see foods knowing that it should be fine for me to buy, then to read the packaging to discover an alien ingredient, like whey powder for dark chocolate. I mean, really? :rolleyes:

Sometimes it's deemed to be cool to belittle veganism and some stereotypes often crop up so I don't think this is helping people who would like to at least give it some thought. Then there are censorship laws that prohibit the distribution of material where animal rights groups can highlight how animals suffer at the hands of many humans.

There's a vegan chat thread if you're stumped on food and drink.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:

You people are weird!
    Inflicting pain on an animal forthe hell of it or to satisfy some disturbed need to inflict pain on other creatures or people is not a-ok. Yes it is possibly hypocritical to be for eating animals and against beating them but personally i like to know my meat lived a good, unstressful life where it was not abused and tortured so some inbred mouth breather could get off on it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    It can be difficult but before I turned vegan I had a very low meat intake, and a relatively low dairy one. I previously drank skimmed milk so turning to soya was fine. I did use Alpro chocolate version first. Some people jump to soya whilst being used to whole milk and I think that might not be the best method as I did that before and failed. My main gripe is I see foods knowing that it should be fine for me to buy, then to read the packaging to discover an alien ingredient, like whey powder for dark chocolate. I mean, really? :rolleyes:

Sometimes it's deemed to be cool to belittle veganism and some stereotypes often crop up so I don't think this is helping people who would like to at least give it some thought. Then there are censorship laws that prohibit the distribution of material where animal rights groups can highlight how animals suffer at the hands of many humans.

There's a vegan chat thread if you're stumped on food and drink.
    Oh that's interesting, I was wondering why there are so few sources of abuse easily made available to the public from animals rights groups, I'm sure there are thousands.

Thanks, will check it out. Going to buy my mum a vegan cook book tomorrow lol
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

You people are weird!
    Don't you buy industrial eggs/dairy?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

You people are weird!

It's common. I've never understood the attention that halal slaughter gets. Notice that when ever this method slaughtering is mentioned kosher is hardly ever mentioned with it, despite having the same slaughtering practices. And people have their own opinions on "humane". I've seen it with many death penalty advocates who do so on the premise that it must be humane and quick, like hanging. But aggravated forms of death, as Durkheim says (you're a sociologist I think ), are deemed inhumane.

I've always felt that may be the way humans treat animals is more of a progressive thing but I don't think it can fully combated until humans stop treating animals as commodities/property. Probably why we have the ivory trade amongst other things.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's interesting, I was wondering why there are so few sources of abuse easily made available to the public from animals rights groups, I'm sure there are thousands.
    Cultural hegemony at work.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 11, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered animals and pets threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.