The Student Room Group

Are these GCSE grades really a 'Joke' for Medicine?

GCSE: A* Mathematics A*A*Double science A* RE A* Business Studies A Economics AA Applied Double ICT A English Literature C English Language ?

I really am put off now... 5A*s 4A 1C does this mean no chance... anyone got similar results or less?:s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LOL sorry I was expecting to see like 12Cs or Ds!
But nooo! definitely not!
Except for Birmingham (accurate to my knowledge of 2011 and 2012 requirements) you don't need to have a certain number of A*s anywhere else.

When you apply, look into how every university evaluates their applicants and decides to invite you for interview because each one looks at everyone's UCAS in a different way. Therefore to increase your chance at getting in, its a good idea to apply somewhere where they give a lot of weight to the strong part of your application. ie I know at Kings College London, they invite applicants for interview according to a ranking of their combined UKCAT and GCSEs, so if you achieved a poor UKCAT score, it would be more worth your while to apply to another medical school. Conversely, if you did really really well in your UKCAT, apply to Kings because your UKCAT will help you compete with the applicants that have up to 11/12 A*s at GCSE :smile:

So in conclusion, your GCSEs are absolutely fine (unless studying Medicine at Birmingham was your life long ambition :tongue:) but just work on getting the rest of your application perfect now! :smile:
No sir, you are a joke :holmes:
Edit: however your C in English language is going to dampen your application quite a bit.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by This Honest
No sir, you are a joke :holmes:
Edit: however your C in English language is going to dampen your application quite a bit.

I agree with this - it may be an issue.
But overall, your GCSE results are fine.
Good luck with everything :yy:
Reply 4
Original post by sgeorge11
GCSE: A* Mathematics A*A*Double science A* RE A* Business Studies A Economics AA Applied Double ICT A English Literature C English Language ?

I really am put off now... 5A*s 4A 1C does this mean no chance... anyone got similar results or less?:s-smilie:

A peer in my chem class got 5A* 4A and is now studying medicine in Liverpool. So no you GCSE's aren't rubbish.
Saying that, just apply wisely and properly research the requirements of every med school - e.g it wouldn't be smart of you to apply to Birmingham when they want 8+A*'s for instance.
Make sure you have a solid P.S and a UKCAT/BMAT when applying and I'm sure you'll be fine.

e: The others are right, that C in Eng Lang may be a disadvantage. Check the uni GCSE entry requirements before applying.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SimpleGirl
I agree with this - it may be an issue.
But overall, your GCSE results are fine.
Good luck with everything :yy:

Exactly, in medical applications, there is no such thing as impossible. If you're smart about it, OP wil research all the uni's thoroughly and see where he's eligible to apply to.
As previously stated, your results are fine, but your C in Eng lang may hold you back a little. As long as you are careful and read the addmisions criteria properly it should not be a problem

I got 3A*5A3B and i got a place to study medicine this year.
Reply 7
:colondollar:
Original post by Steerforth
As previously stated, your results are fine, but your C in Eng lang may hold you back a little. As long as you are careful and read the addmisions criteria properly it should not be a problem

I got 3A*5A3B and i got a place to study medicine this year.

what uni's did you apply to?
Reply 8
Original post by This Honest
Exactly, in medical applications, there is no such thing as impossible. If you're smart about it, OP wil research all the uni's thoroughly and see where he's eligible to apply to.

Definitely, you need to be tactical about it!
Go through all the universities and find out what the requirements are for each.
See which of the unis look particularly at things that are your strong points
If you're worried about your GCSE results or a high UKCAT, for example, then don't apply to universities that base their decisions on these aspects.
Reply 9
That C isn't good.
Original post by TaraBelle
:colondollar:

what uni's did you apply to?

I got interviews at Manchester, Newcastle and Glasgow, but was rejected by bsms before interview.

manch have made me an offer (unconditional) and I am still waiting to hear back from Newc and Glas.
No. There fine and I think all those A* and A's make up for the C in a way.
You kinda need a B in Eng Lang for most unis.
Reply 13
I got similar results but instead of a c i got an a*
Original post by sgeorge11

Wow be very ashamed of yourself... Damn where did you get these grades, out your ass?!
Original post by Before I Remember
No. There fine and I think all those A* and A's make up for the C in a way.

Not necessarily, if a uni wants a minimum grade B in english language, OP cant apply there no matter how many A*s he has. They do an initial screening to make sure everyone meets the minimum requirements.
some unis may be willing to go look at the english lit grade rather than english- but you would probably have to email to find out
Unis look at more than just the number of A*s, even at GCSE. Just look at the subjects. RE, business studies and ICT are hardly look upon as favourable as Physics, chemistry and Biology.

Did your school offer the triple science award? And also what AS/A Levels did you take? These things all matter more than a number of A*s.
Reply 18
for medicine you need 7A* bro
Yes guys I know that the C is an big issue... i have made a lot of threads on it in the past... and I can't retake it in school. I have decided to to an Eng Lan IGCSE course instead which is 12 months in duration and i sit it in yr 13 june. so even now i can't do anything about that C, what i can do is start the igcse course and let the uni know i am doing it.. which might show that i am doing somthing about it.. i'll only apply to those which require a C in Eng, like newcastle, durham, aberdeen, sheffield... also i did email to BSMS and they have replied that my english lit is fine to meet their requirment. and thats the one i mostly want to apply to. SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Also I am doing Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Welsh Bacc. and done my first mod for all except maths. hopefully get good results. doing a lot of voluntary work and work experience.also some EC..

What do you think... is it worth it doing the igcse? what about my uni choices?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending