Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Postgraduates 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by writergirl
Nice! Always helps when you know where you're placed.

yea! im just waiting to see if i've got the en suite? cant imagine a common toilet. had rooms without toilets as an undergrad, and i really didnt fancy that :/
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 201
Original post by TeddyToneva
Hey there and congrats! Honestly, I believe ppl here are a bit bias towards Durham (at least I know I am). Honestly I hadn`t heard of SOAS, but it is far from my field (I am doing MSc in Strategic Marketing). Since I am not familiar with the type of the course, I can only comment on the other aspects.
One is in London = busy lifestyle, lots of things to do, always hectic, so to speak.
The other is in Durham = smaller town, not so many things to do but still enough to occupy your time. For me, the best thing about Durham is exactly the fact that it is situated in a relatively small town. This way you really connect with your fellow students, since you are in a closed environment. Especially for postgrads, I think we can all agree that connecting with like-minded ppl is as equally important as your studies.

In the end, I think the best strategy really is to follow your guts.

I don`t know if I was of any help, but I wanted to share my opinion. Best of luck to you :smile:

No, you were very helpful.

I was a bit torn at first, I really want to be in London, but ultimately, I think Durham is a better choice. Two questions for you; I've sent in my confirmation of an acceptance of place to Durham yesterday and I've not yet gotten a response. Do they normally take long to respond to emails? It's only one day so I'm not worried, but it seems to me that the admissions departments of all the Universities that I try to contact take ages to respond, it's probably due to the volume of emails they receive. Additionally, as I applied and received my offer at such a late date I'm worried about accommodation. Where should I apply as a postgrad? I know about Ustinov; is that in Durham City? Any others I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.
Hi guys,

I've registered quite a while ago, but I guess this is my first sensible post on the TSR :smile: My name is Ross Iankov and I am from Bulgaria. I got my bachelor's degree from Dickinson College, USA in International Business & Management with minors in Econ and French and from October will be doing an MSc in Finance & Investment at Durham. I have already chosen Van Mildert and St Aidan's as my preferred college and I hope I made a sensible choice here :smile: I am really interested to get to know you guys and I hope that we can stay in touch during the summer before the program starts
Original post by rossiankov
Hi guys,

I've registered quite a while ago, but I guess this is my first sensible post on the TSR :smile: My name is Ross Iankov and I am from Bulgaria. I got my bachelor's degree from Dickinson College, USA in International Business & Management with minors in Econ and French and from October will be doing an MSc in Finance & Investment at Durham. I have already chosen Van Mildert and St Aidan's as my preferred college and I hope I made a sensible choice here :smile: I am really interested to get to know you guys and I hope that we can stay in touch during the summer before the program starts

Hi, nice to meet you! If you have facebook, you are more than welcome to join the group here http://www.facebook.com/groups/288215381274227/
Reply 204
Hey everyone,
I will be studying for MSc Management and I will be in trevelyan college. Anyone people here will go to trevelyan college?
Original post by rossiankov
Hi guys,

Cool! Another Bulgarian in this thread. Let the invasion begin :biggrin:
I`m based at Stockton though, so I doubt we will get a chance to meet in person. Congrats on getting in :smile:
Original post by Stilo
No, you were very helpful.

I was a bit torn at first, I really want to be in London, but ultimately, I think Durham is a better choice. Two questions for you; I've sent in my confirmation of an acceptance of place to Durham yesterday and I've not yet gotten a response. Do they normally take long to respond to emails? It's only one day so I'm not worried, but it seems to me that the admissions departments of all the Universities that I try to contact take ages to respond, it's probably due to the volume of emails they receive. Additionally, as I applied and received my offer at such a late date I'm worried about accommodation. Where should I apply as a postgrad? I know about Ustinov; is that in Durham City? Any others I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.

Hey, glad I was of some help to you. Regarding your questions, the administration is really busy this time of year and it might take them longer than expected to respond. When I confirmed my offer I received the "welcome" e-mail around 2 or 3 days later. If you don`t however, I suggest you ring them up and check what the holdup is. About your question of where you should apply to (college), I can`t really help since my program is based in Stockton and I am not familiar with the colleges up in Durham. I am sure the other ppl in the thread will be able to clear things out for you.

Whichever uni you end up choosing, I wish you best of luck with your studies. :wink:
Reply 207
Hi!

Been accepted into Hatfield College to study Theology MA - anyone else in the same boat? I'm still umming and ahhing about whether to go to Durham (it's SO far from home, and I'm very very nervous!) but hopefully someone will manage to persuade me!
Reply 208
Hi,

Doing:

MA in Medieval History
Dept of History
College: Grey

Local, live around 14 miles north of Durham, so know the area, colleges and Durham really well :smile:
Reply 209
Original post by TeddyToneva
Hey, glad I was of some help to you. Regarding your questions, the administration is really busy this time of year and it might take them longer than expected to respond. When I confirmed my offer I received the "welcome" e-mail around 2 or 3 days later. If you don`t however, I suggest you ring them up and check what the holdup is. About your question of where you should apply to (college), I can`t really help since my program is based in Stockton and I am not familiar with the colleges up in Durham. I am sure the other ppl in the thread will be able to clear things out for you.

Whichever uni you end up choosing, I wish you best of luck with your studies. :wink:

--------------------------

Ustinov is postgrad only, its next to one of the park and ride places in durham (Howlands), so getting to and from the centre of the city is pretty easy monday to saturday. no park & ride on Sunday so 20 ish minute walk, possible bit more.
Each college is different, and depends on what you want or expect. I'm in Grey and I chose it as I wanted a college that felt inclusive and not overtly part of the exclusive rah club. Some of the colleges attract the 'posh' people, and thats not me being elitist or with a chip on my shoulder. Many colleges have songs about 'hatfield' seen as one of the posher colleges.

Read the info on each website if you haven't chosen already, and if you have, remember you can visit any of the colleges anyway, they all have bars and facilities.

Durham is a really pretty city if you've never been or not visited the area. The university is part of the city and a thriving element to it. Guess I am biased as I think its a great place to be :-)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 210
Original post by exetonian
Hi!

Been accepted into Hatfield College to study Theology MA - anyone else in the same boat? I'm still umming and ahhing about whether to go to Durham (it's SO far from home, and I'm very very nervous!) but hopefully someone will manage to persuade me!

hey, I was accepted in the Hatfield college as well, hope see you there. I am an international student going to study management. Hope this could persuade you. :P
Reply 211
Hey!

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm going to be coming up to Durham this year for the MSc in Defence, Development and Diplomacy. I'm 23, live in London and initially studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. I've been accepted into University College, but won't be staying in halls as I applied a bit late so will be staying in rented accommodation.

Feel free to send me a message if you're doing the same course/going to the same college! Hope to see some of you soon!

Toby

Quick Reply

Latest