The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Postgraduates 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

I will be studying at Durham for a MA in Medieval History in 2012-2013. Any recommendation for colleges? I'll be living out but am not sure how important the choice of college is in accessing libraries or the role of the tutors in providing guidance for research.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
There's a group for RE Secondary 2012-2013 on facebook:-) There's only seven of us so it's going to be a small group:-)
Hi All!

I need some advise.

I think I may have inadvertently been allocated to Ustinov but with no effort on my part. Apparently, somehow the college dependent didn’t get the info that I had accepted my offer and so they have yet to send me anything about college/accommodation signup. I emailed them about this and they said they (the college dept) needed to check with my department to confirm my acceptance. Once that happened they got back into contact with me and told me they were finalizing my acceptance into Ustinov….…….…….What? I don’t even know what just happened. I never picked a college preference (or no preference even). I wouldn't have picked Ustinov.

I’m SO confused!:confused:

So, it would be great if any of you guys could just tell me step by step how you accepted your offer and then applied for accommodation. I am trying to find out where the mix up happened and I really cannot figure it out. I’m sure I did everything I was supposed to on my part. I know this is a confusing message but that’s because I am very confused. From the emails I have gotten on Durhams end I can tell they are just as confused as I am.

I honestly don’t really want Ustinov only because of how far away it is.
(edited 12 years ago)
guys does Durham send emails for acceptances or do I have to be checking the on line application form?
Original post by Hopefully2013
Hi All!

I need some advise.

I think I may have inadvertently been allocated to Ustinov but with no effort on my part. Apparently, somehow the college dependent didn’t get the info that I had accepted my offer and so they have yet to send me anything about college/accommodation signup. I emailed them about this and they said they (the college dept) needed to check with my department to confirm my acceptance. Once that happened they got back into contact with me and told me they were finalizing my acceptance into Ustinov….…….…….What? I don’t even know what just happened. I never picked a college preference (or no preference even) other than on my original med anth application and then I didn’t even pick Ustinov.

I’m SO confused!:confused:

So, it would be great if any of you guys could just tell me step by step how you accepted your offer and then applied for accommodation. I am trying to find out where the mix up happened and I really cannot figure it out. I’m sure I did everything I was supposed to on my part. I know this is a confusing message but that’s because I am very confused. From the emails I have gotten on Durhams end I can tell they are just as confused as I am.

I honestly don’t really want Ustinov only because of how far away it is.

what are you confused about??? You did not ask for a specific college and they put you in Ustinov. Why is this weird???
Original post by *Corinna*
what are you confused about??? You did not ask for a specific college and they put you in Ustinov. Why is this weird???

It’s strange because I was told I would be sent more info about accommodation and college signup and I was also told I would then need to fill out an online form about picking a preference at all, or to pick an open application. Then they suddenly put me in Ustinov. They also told me where I would be staying on campus without me saying if I even wanted to live on campus.

All of my other friends who are going to Durham and others on this board were given the choice to at least pick two preferences, catering vs self catering etc. I wasn’t given an potion at all or even the illusion of one.

I wasnt given a chance to ask for a specific college. I inquired about it, they said they would send me the form then they skipped that and put me in a college. I think my paperwork may have gotten messed up.
(edited 12 years ago)
It’s strange because I was told I would be sent more info about accommodation and college signup and I was also told I would then need to fill out an online form about picking a preference at all, or to pick an open application. Then they suddenly put me in Ustinov. They also told me where I would be staying on campus without me saying if I even wanted to live on campus.

All of my other friends who are going to Durham and others on this board were given the choice to at least pick two preferences, catering vs self catering etc. I wasn’t given an potion at all or even the illusion of one.

I wasnt given a chance to ask for a specific college. I inquired about it, they said they would send me the form then they skipped that and put me in a college. I think my paperwork may have gotten messed up.

when I applied, through the on line application system, I was asked to put down a college as a preference. Didn't this happen to you?
when I applied, through the on line application system, I was asked to put down a college as a preference. Didn't this happen to you?

No, that info was never requested of me. :frown: I asked them about it too and they told me I would get to apply soon but then it never happend. That's why I am starting to think things got mixed up somewhere.

It's not the end of the world though. Ustinov is not bad and if worse comes to worse I got into UCL too. I just wish I know what happened.
No, that info was never requested of me. :frown: I asked them about it too and they told me I would get to apply soon but then it never happend. That's why I am starting to think things got mixed up somewhere.

It's not the end of the world though. Ustinov is not bad and if worse comes to worse I got into UCL too. I just wish I know what happened.

hm yeah...try calling them maybe.

Is Durham your first choice?
hm yeah...try calling them maybe.

Is Durham your first choice?

Durham is my first choice. The professors I have gotten into contact with have been amazing so far and that’s the most important thing to me regardless of accommodation.

But, I am definitely calling them tomorrow!
Reply 70
Durham is my first choice. The professors I have gotten into contact with have been amazing so far and that’s the most important thing to me regardless of accommodation.

But, I am definitely calling them tomorrow!

Ustinov isn't that far away, everything in Durham is so close, it just seems far... If you want to make postgraduate friends its the best place to be.

If you're still worried, ring the uni and ask them
Reply 71
Program: MA in International Relations (Middle East)
Department: School of Government & International Affairs

Which colleges are within close distance of where my classes will be and also have great social activities? I will be an international student coming from a big city so social life is very important to me.
Reply 72
Original post by bbmm1987
Program: MA in International Relations (Middle East)
Department: School of Government & International Affairs

Which colleges are within close distance of where my classes will be and also have great social activities? I will be an international student coming from a big city so social life is very important to me.

From what has been discussed earlier, it doesn't really matter which college you choose because Durham isn't very big. :smile: No matter what you do, coming from a big city will make Durham seem very, very small (because it isn't very big to begin with.)
Yeah the map makes it look even bigger. After hearing from people who are already over there, I found that even the farthest off distances in the University map would be easily walkable :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by phoenixfeathers
Yeah the map makes it look even bigger. After hearing from people who are already over there, I found that even the farthest off distances in the University map would be easily walkable :smile:

I am visiting in April and I will let you know how big it is!!
guys, please, can someone tell me if they got emails about their offers or if it was updated at the online application system??
Reply 76
guys, please, can someone tell me if they got emails about their offers or if it was updated at the online application system??

Everyone gets an email about their offers so don't worry!

My online application was not updated!

If they reject you the department normally contacts you directly!

Good luck!
Original post by Timothy
Ustinov isn't that far away, everything in Durham is so close, it just seems far... If you want to make postgraduate friends its the best place to be.

If you're still worried, ring the uni and ask them

I am glad to hear things are close. It does look deceptively spaced out on the map to me. And, after thinking more about it Ustinov does seem great in terms of all the people I would be surrounded by.

However, I did call Durham the other day and the info they gave me was for someone else. It was a case of mistaken identity I guess. I got the college email today; I don’t know maybe I will still end up at Ustinov. I kind of convinced myself on it.
Reply 78
I've been accepted to Durham University for a PhD in Chemistry starting in October possibly earlier.

I have chosen St Aiden's as my first choice and Josephine Butler as my second choice. That was two weeks ago and still waiting to hear which I've been allocated. I didn't mind whether it was catered or self-catered I just wanted to have an en-suite room so fingers crossed! :smile:
Reply 79
Hi all,

Just thought I'd say hi on here as I've just discovered this forum and I'll be at Durham for the 2012-2013 academic year. :-)

Program: MA Early Modern History
Dept: History
College: St. Chad's (hopefully... I haven't heard back from the Colleges yet)

Really excited and looking forward to studying on the MA and experiencing college life. I see a few other people from the history department have posted here - *waves* - Look forward to meeting you in October!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending