The Student Room Group

Cheapest way to get A levels (home study)?

I am 27 and would like to do my A levels. I know I should have done them 10 years ago but that's another story for another day. It’s not clear if I will have to pay for them or not because the college is waiting to hear about government funding. I won’t get a definite answer until June/July. I have contacted several colleges in the area and the costs are around £500 per year, per A level. So we’re talking £3000 before you add on extra for equipment, books etc.

I am interested in doing Physics and Astrophysics at Sheffield University. In order to do this degree I need; AAB at A level, which must include Physics and Maths. Or a BTEC DDD (Although I don’t know anything about this).
If I can do them for free at my local college I will but I’m also trying to look at alternatives just in case I do have to pay. There is no way I can afford to shell out £3k plus.

What is the cheapest way to get these A levels done? I’m happy to study at home if need be and just sit the exams when needed. The problem with this is coursework. I also don’t know what my 3rd A level should be, I was thinking either Further Maths or Chemistry.

Suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Sam
Do an access course or a foundation degree that is the best option. Have you considered open university and seeing whether or not Sheffield will take you on after completing certain units?
Reply 2
Hey Sam.

I'm so glad to hear this. My sister left education early to become a mother and she too is finding it difficult to roll back into it.

The government is just as keen as yourself on helping adults go back into further education.

Have a whisk through this page. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/AdultLearning/FinancialHelpForAdultLearners/DG_10033133

See if you're applicable to any bursaries or funds.

You can always contact the local college in your area. 9 times out of 10 they themselves can claim funds from the government to cover your costs. It's worth a shot.
If you can't shell out £3k, then how much will Uni cost? Although you may be talking £3k upfront. If your highest certs are GCSEs than you will pay the minimum of fees, like £50 for an Access course.
Also I went for an Access course, rather than A-Levels for Radiography. You get to learn from other mature students, who have it tougher & it eases you back into study; course is 1 year. Open Uni could also be 1 year.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1909572 - hopefully an useful thread.
Original post by rad_student
If you can't shell out £3k, then how much will Uni cost? Although you may be talking £3k upfront. If your highest certs are GCSEs than you will pay the minimum of fees, like £50 for an Access course.
Also I went for an Access course, rather than A-Levels for Radiography. You get to learn from other mature students, who have it tougher & it eases you back into study; course is 1 year. Open Uni could also be 1 year.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1909572 - hopefully an useful thread.

Access isn't a bad thing, you to get into the grove of studying alongside others and it can be quite rewarding.
Reply 5
Thanks for your reply Sloane, Open university (distance learning?) is an option but as I understand it you have to faff around arranging your own exam and coursework anyway. The actual tutoring I could live without. If I could arrange to just sit the exam I imagine I could teach myself through a combination of textbooks, the internet and mock exams. An access course would be better but it depends on the cost and whether Sheffield would accept it, according to the entry requirements on their website they don’t.

Tamimi, thanks for your support, life doesn’t always make it easy does it? Hope your sister manages to sort something out and thanks for the link, I’ll check it out later.

Rad, I can get a student loan for University fees. What do you mean when you say I will pay the minimum of fees? The link you posted was interesting, especially the part about Leeds offering a Physics degree with a foundation year, thanks for that.
Reply 6
Original post by smergyl
Thanks for your reply Sloane, Open university (distance learning?) is an option but as I understand it you have to faff around arranging your own exam and coursework anyway. The actual tutoring I could live without. If I could arrange to just sit the exam I imagine I could teach myself through a combination of textbooks, the internet and mock exams. An access course would be better but it depends on the cost and whether Sheffield would accept it, according to the entry requirements on their website they don’t.

If you have the self discipline to teach yourself from the textbooks then there is no need to enrol on a course for Maths, you just need to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) prepared to accept you to take the exams as a 'private candidate'. You have to pay for this, any thing from £15 per unit to £50 (there are 6 for A level maths, same for FM). Physics and Chemistry are harder to sort as each has 2 coursework/practical units and these can be very hard to arrange for private candidates and very expensive, although the price varies massively from centre to centre.
Reply 7
I certainly think that at your age, an Access to University course would be more suitable

I would suggest contacting the University ... visiting if possible ... talking to the admissions tutor and finding out what they actually require as entry qualifications

You should note that entry qualifications are often different for mature students
Reply 8
Original post by smergyl

Tamimi, thanks for your support, life doesn’t always make it easy does it? Hope your sister manages to sort something out and thanks for the link, I’ll check it out later.

Rad, I can get a student loan for University fees. What do you mean when you say I will pay the minimum of fees? The link you posted was interesting, especially the part about Leeds offering a Physics degree with a foundation year, thanks for that.

think you've got the wrong place, with the open uni (www.open.ac.uk) not all modules/courses have exam and those that do are through the uni and coursework in the form of TMA's / ECA's are submitted to the uni. No outside arrangements needed.
Original post by smergyl

Say you picked a course, http://www.themanchestercollege.ac.uk/adults/courses/combined-science-4 from hotcourses.com & the fees are £1750; well "You may not have to pay tuition fees if: you are up to the age of 25, enrolling on a level 3 course and do not already have a full level 3 qualification or higher." You probably will have to pay the minimum admin fees of say £50 & your UCAS application.
I did notice in my course, that people who paid £1700 were more committed.

*Ask them which colleges, students with Access courses came from.*
(edited 12 years ago)
Pembrokeshire College in Haverfordwest do Maths, Further Maths, Biol, Phys & Chem A-levels online. Each course costs £290 and a science prac. costs £260. You get 18 months tutor support, start when you like and sit the exams whenever you like. There's no pressure. (You can pay in installments).
The online courses are open to anyone living in the UK or abroad. You have to attend a week at the college if you want to do Units 3 & 6 of your science A-levels. (They have accommdation)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by positronium12
Pembrokeshire College in Haverfordwest do Maths, Further Maths, Biol, Phys & Chem A-levels online. Each course costs £290 and a science prac. costs £260. You get 18 months tutor support, start when you like and sit the exams whenever you like. There's no pressure. (You can pay in installments).
The online courses are open to anyone living in the UK or abroad. You have to attend a week at the college if you want to do Units 3 & 6 of your science A-levels. (They have accommdation)

Hi what if I dont want tutoring? I dont have that sort of money to be paying on top of that I want to do it with just me and a book. There must be a way just to take an exam if you know it. What if you know it do you still have to pay for online tutor support you dont really need. My friend mentioned that its 60£ an exam and thats that. Its still quite dear. Obviously resources such as books also cost money. But no way 260£ I would pay. Educations meant to be free anyways lol
Reply 12
Original post by PauliusHermanas
Hi what if I dont want tutoring? I dont have that sort of money to be paying on top of that I want to do it with just me and a book. There must be a way just to take an exam if you know it. What if you know it do you still have to pay for online tutor support you dont really need. My friend mentioned that its 60£ an exam and thats that. Its still quite dear. Obviously resources such as books also cost money. But no way 260£ I would pay. Educations meant to be free anyways lol

If you are happy to teach yourself and there is no coursework involved then you can just find an A level/GCSE exam centre (=any secondary school or college) prepared to accept you as a private candidate and pay them. Prices vary wildly from £20 per unit to over £100 so shop around.
Reply 13
There is a company called 'UK Open Learning', which are fantastic. That is what I did. Try them :wink:
Hi, my daughter is 18 years and has finished her 2 A-levels this year with good grades but she wants to apply for good unis next year.What does she need to improve now, to increase her chances to be accepted for next year?

Quick Reply

Latest