Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mobile App feedback

Announcements Posted on
    • 41 followers

As some of you have already noticed, we have the Tapatalk app working on TSR at the moment.

Just to give you the context we wanted to try this out for a day or 2 to get some feedback, as we are about to commission Tapatalk to build our own TSRified App for us.

It will only be live on TSR in it's current form for a couple of days, so all feedback welcome. Please pop it in this thread.

The plan is to start with their out of the box version that looks like TSR, works like the Tapatalk app, is free, and is downloadable as our own separate app in iphone, ipad and android versions.

You can see XDA, College Confidential, or Curly Talk for examples of others they've customised.

We can then see what people like and don't like, and then tweak it over time to get gradually better.

The idea of putting live the version that links with their own app was to get a feel for what works/doesn't work on day 1 and decide if their are any essential customisations for version 1. Apologies for the fact that this version you have to pay for.

So let us know what you think

Oh - and as long as we are happy to start with the out of the box version and build from there, then we're probably only a month or so away from having our own TSR version now
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would the finalised mobile site be free to use? Im a little hesitant to purchase the app only to use it for one month then having to purchase yet another one later on.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Would the finalised mobile site be free to use? Im a little hesitant to purchase the app only to use it for one month then having to purchase yet another one later on.
    Do you use an android phone? If so, Tapatalk is currently free via the GetJar appstore.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Windows Phone?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Currently posting from iOS tapatalk. I reluctantly admit it's actually not bad. I've even attached an image for your viewing pleasure.

It's a pity that you're going the app route, but I guess it probably would be ridiculous effort to make a mobile site.
    One thing you should perhaps consider - make it free for subs, but slap some limitations on non subs (or even disallow access entirely). Basically mimic spotify.
    My bias is perhaps not what you expect given my soon to expire sub, but there we go.

Personally I think a month is wildly optimistic if you want it to be complete, back room and all.
    It doesn't even do spoilers or nested quotes at the moment...
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329216466.097159.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	118927  
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Back on my laptop now.

The tapatalk chrome notifier on http://www.tapatalk.com/ looks interesting. I'll install it for a while. Someone send me a pm, will be interesting to see if it works.

Edit: on the subject of not choosing the route of a mobile site, tapatalk has the advantage of providing some kind of TSR api would be a nice thing...for me if not for you

Edit2: a lot of bbcode is broken. A month seems really really optimistic, unless you're really going to have it stripped down.

(Original post by Talexe)
    Windows Phone?
    According to http://www.tapatalk.com/, no...which is unfortunate.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I downloaded the tapatalk app on my iPhone but can't find TSR on there? I paid £2 for this app :mad:

Can anyone help?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    I downloaded the tapatalk app on my iPhone but can't find TSR on there? I paid £2 for this app :mad:

Can anyone help?
    Search for 'student'.
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Currently posting from iOS tapatalk. I reluctantly admit it's actually not bad. I've even attached an image for your viewing pleasure.

It's a pity that you're going the app route, but I guess it probably would be ridiculous effort.
    One thing you should perhaps consider - make it free for subs, but slap some limitations on non subs (or even disallow access entirely). Basically mimic spotify.
    My bias is perhaps not what you expect given my soon to expire sub, but there we go.

Personally I think a month is wildly optimistic if you want it to be complete, back room and all.
    Ah, one thing that immediately jumps out about your post, is that the post has no title. This has a slight knock on effect with the search results, where instead of you post being indexed with the post title, it's indexed with the thread title. But these two titles are usually very similar so maybe not a big problem. But it does make your post look a little odd
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    The chrome PM notifier works well. Now I am able to instantly know when someone has PMed me and thereby waste even more time on TSR.
    Excellent.

When the API for TSR gets finalised, I imagine an extension is possible for quotes etc :holmes:
    Very interesting.

(Original post by k9markiii)
    Hello my friend.
    Cheers.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    Ah, one thing that immediately jumps out about your post, is that the post has no title. This has a slight knock on effect with the search results, where instead of you post being indexed with the post title, it's indexed with the thread title. But these two titles are usually very similar so maybe not a big problem. But it does make your post look a little odd
    Hmm yes. That's actually potentially quite irritating.
    One of my methods for scanning through search results is to look for posts without the 'RE' for the thread starters (for assorted reasons).
    Polluting the search results with this style of title is not ideal :erm:
    • 80 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a pity that you're going the app route, but I guess it probably would be ridiculous effort to make a mobile site.
    An app' is merely step 1 :yy:
    Due to the complexity and timescales of a mobile site, this is going to be seen as more of a step 2. It's just the case that a basic, functioning app' is relatively quick to get to a decent standard and roll out.

I'm sure there'll be updates regarding mobile site in good time post-app launch
    • 41 followers

(Original post by Vulpes)
    Yes - the TSR one will be free
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Search for 'student'.
    Thanks, got it
    • 41 followers

Currently posting from iOS tapatalk. I reluctantly admit it's actually not bad. I've even attached an image for your viewing pleasure..
    Glad you like it. We were impressed too

We are going to launch with a stripped down version - the basic Tapatalk product with only essential customisations that we can not go live without.

Better to get it out in the wild and gradually improve it with everyone's feedback on what matters, rather than spend ages striving for perfection without any user feedback on how it works for TSR users in practice.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    According to http://www.tapatalk.com/, no...which is unfortunate.
    Okay. To be honest, a mobile site is probably a preferable long-term solution anyway!
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CN)
    Yes - the TSR one will be free
    Just played with it on iOS. Got to say, i quite like it! I especially like the PM system on it, its very user friendly than going onto iOS Safari Cant wait for you guys to get your own app out.

Looks like you guys are progressing well :yy:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use Tapatalk on a forum I run and it's very convenient for mobile users. For starters, there's no html to load on each page navigation as you're using an app, not a web page. It's quite fast.

I would highly recommend it.

Will Tapatalk be left in place whilst moving to a branded app?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has this been taken off now?
    • 41 followers

(Original post by wizard710)
    Has this been taken off now?
    It will be back soon. Needs rejigging a bit post last nights update
Updated: April 10, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.