The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MirandaPanda
I was wondering when you were going to pop-up with your typical Obama-hatred. So I'm supposed to use the subjective example of your "brother in law" to deduce that this is how a majority of businesses in the US are going to act? LOL, talk about utterly moronic logic; provide me with an objective source which shows "a lot of employers" are going to follow suit, or kindly keep your anecdotes to yourself :rolleyes:

Anyways, as I said in the 'US Primaries 2012' thread however (and as has been the case with others and their dealings with you, such as the thread on why the Tea Party was founded and its key principles), there is no point in arguing with you. Whenever there is a retort provided that completely shuts you up (which is always pretty much the case), instead of admitting to your idiocy, you just leave the thread and cowardly don't provide a reply back. Ergo, I don't wish to waste the time and effort in doing so.

I can't provide that list of employers because Obamacare hasn't been fully implemented yet but it will be a lot if obamacare isn't repealed. Businesses are all about maximizing profits and I don't know why you have such a hard time imagining that it's cheaper for many businesses just to pay fines instead of insurance.

How about you provide your stats to show that obamacare will give us near 100% coverage as you claim? Not even partisan hacks like Rachel Maddow would make such a preposterous claim
Reply 221
I was wondering when you were going to pop-up with your typical Obama-hatred. So I'm supposed to use the subjective example of your "brother in law" to deduce that this is how a majority of businesses in the US are going to act? LOL, talk about utterly moronic logic; provide me with an objective source which shows "a lot of employers" are going to follow suit, or kindly keep your anecdotes to yourself :rolleyes:

He's got a point. Obamacare does not provide 100% coverage or anything close to it. What it does is fine employers who don't provide it for their workers. Congress would never have passed 100% coverage funded by the federal government.
Original post by barratt15
He's got a point. Obamacare does not provide 100% coverage or anything close to it. What it does is fine employers who don't provide it for their workers. Congress would never have passed 100% coverage funded by the federal government.

Despite polls showing that most people want it, and have for a long time. This is the problem I have with American politics, and tbf, British politics too - the public is in favour of a certain policy, but none of the major parties are, so the will of the people is ignored.
Reply 223
Original post by anarchism101
Despite polls showing that most people want it, and have for a long time. This is the problem I have with American politics, and tbf, British politics too - the public is in favour of a certain policy, but none of the major parties are, so the will of the people is ignored.

Hmmm. Most people may have wanted it, but the anti campaign hit home I believe. The middle-class in America who have health insurance have a higher standard of healthcare than the middle-class in Britain. Senate and House Republicans made this point clear - highlighting UK horror stories of people bleeding to death in waiting rooms etc and it had a greater effect than a constitutional argument ever would.

Many Democrats are in favour of the 100% coverage idea - but the House is a Republican majority and Southern Democrats are much more conservative in this area. It's doubtful that, even had Obama tried before the mid-terms when he had both Houses, 100% coverage would ever have been attained.
Original post by Just Like You
Again, not that this is relevant to the thread at hand, but since you seem to think I'm incapable of knowing the "philosophy" of martial arts, I'll just tell you that I've been training for 14 years in various styles including Shorinji Kenpo, Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Krav Maga, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Wing Chun. I'm also professionally trained in the bo staff, combat knife and tonfa. If you truly understood the values of martial arts as you say you do, you would understand that a gun could be seen as an acceptable level of defense in the appropriate situation. And I am prepared for any situation.

You sound like a scared little girl tbh. You take up all these safety precautions and yet from what I hear you've never been in danger once. I bet I've been in more danger than you but you don't see me getting a weapon. Sure, martial arts helps but I mainly do it to compete, for fun, fitness and to progress. Maybe it'd help to know what you plan to do with that gun - either way though you know guns can do serious damage whether fatal or not and is not something to be taken lightly. It's also all very well mentioning all these martial arts but without context it doesn't tell me much.

I didn't say 100% though did I; this is you inferring. Bottom line, Obamacare shall help provide coverage to near 100% of the 50m people or so who were previously uninsured/uninsurable due to pre-existing conditions.
Original post by Made in the USA
I can't provide that list of employers.

Ergo making a statement such as "a lot of businesses shall just take the fine" is pretty moronic then no :facepalm:

Yet but it will be a lot if obamacare isn't repealed. Businesses are all about maximizing profits and I don't know why you have such a hard time imagining that it's cheaper for many businesses just to pay fines instead of insurance.

Why do I have a hard time accepting it? Because you're talking out of your arse frankly, and you know this. Do you have the bottom lines of every business in the US, or indeed ANY credible statistics, to back up a claim that when Obamacare isn't repealed, "a lot of businesses will take the fine"? Because to make such a conclusion, you'd need to know the exact profitability of every business in the US to assume that "a lot of them" would rather take the fine than provide coverage. This is of course, putting aside the 'concrete' example of your "brother in law", whom I'm sure speaks for the vast majority of US businesses LOL :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 227
I didn't say 100% though did I; this is you inferring. Bottom line, Obamacare shall help provide coverage to near 100% of the 50m people or so who were previously uninsured/uninsurable due to pre-existing conditions.

Well that's definitely not true.

Edit: and what were we supposed to infer from "All but 100% with the recent healthcare changes enacted by Obama"?
(edited 12 years ago)
Well that's definitely not true.

The AHCA is set to help between 16m-25m people when its implemented by 2014, and as the academic study 'Lessons For Coverage Expansion: A Virginia Primary Care Program For The Uninsured Reduced Utilization And Cut Costs' recently concluded (which has just been released in this months copy of Health Affairs Journal and is worth a read), it'll lower costs further (as was the case in Virginia/case study above) and allow more of that remaining 25m to get coverage (as cost was determined to be the largest factor in such decision).

Edit: and what were we supposed to infer from "All but 100% with the recent healthcare changes enacted by Obama"?

All but 100%, meaning not 100% obviously; if I meant 100%, why on earth would I not JUST SAY 100%? :rolleyes:
Original post by alexs2602
You sound like a scared little girl tbh. You take up all these safety precautions and yet from what I hear you've never been in danger once. I bet I've been in more danger than you but you don't see me getting a weapon. Sure, martial arts helps but I mainly do it to compete, for fun, fitness and to progress. Maybe it'd help to know what you plan to do with that gun - either way though you know guns can do serious damage whether fatal or not and is not something to be taken lightly. It's also all very well mentioning all these martial arts but without context it doesn't tell me much.

*rolls eyes* Oh, you have been in more danger than me? I thought the UK wasn't as dangerous a place as the US? Or are you going to retract that statement now? Honestly, I think you're just TRYING to find fault with my lifestyle, when there's nothing wrong with what I do. "Oh! You do martial arts and carry a gun? I bet you don't know what you're talking about! I'll throw out lots of numbers of how much money I spend to make it look like I know more than you!". And when that didn't work... "Oh! So you DO know more than me? I'll call you a scared little girl because I'm intimidated! I'll also claim that you've never been in a dangerous situation because THAT will really rile you up! HAH!"

edit: it isn't worth debating with someone like you, lol. I'm done.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 230
Bottom line, thankfully most Americans side with me on the issue of same-sex marriage, as most Americans support it; so you and your minority can kiss me where the sun doesn't shine :h:

I wouldn't say that "most Americans" support gay marriage. I'd say that a slight majority does (by four or five percentage points, maybe), but not most. In my home region, the support for gay marriage is pretty high, but if you go to the South or maybe the Midwest, there's a lot more homophobia there. It really all depends on which region you're talking about (and if you want to get really specific, it can vary state by state, county by county too!). It's sad, and as much as I'd like to pretend that as a whole, a vast majority of Americans support gay marriage, it's not true.

I was assuming that by most Americans, you meant a vast majority though, such as around eighty percent. If you were talking about a slight majority, then sorry about that! I sometimes overanalyse things. :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
*rolls eyes* Oh, you have been in more danger than me? I thought the UK wasn't as dangerous a place as the US? Or are you going to retract that statement now? Honestly, I think you're just TRYING to find fault with my lifestyle, when there's nothing wrong with what I do. "Oh! You do martial arts and carry a gun? I bet you don't know what you're talking about! I'll throw out lots of numbers of how much money I spend to make it look like I know more than you!". And when that didn't work... "Oh! So you DO know more than me? I'll call you a scared little girl because I'm intimidated! I'll also claim that you've never been in a dangerous situation because THAT will really rile you up! HAH!"

*facepalm* Those numbers were to prove training isn't cheap. You may not have to pay to use your hands but you need to pay to know how to use them properly.

I said that because you have all this training yet you still think you need a weapon when you've never used it. You said it yourself, you want to be ready for anything but the thing is from what you say you've never needed it. My question is what are you so scared of?

I mean I've been in situations when I was younger which lead to blows, outside of the dojo.

In regard to what I said about context I could say "I started martial arts when I was 7" which is true but hides a hell of a lot of other information. For all I know you could have jumped from martial art to martial art gaining very little level of expertise.
(edited 12 years ago)

why do you need a gun?
Reply 233
Thought I should jump into this thread... As an American and Californian.

I find it mildly amusing that without ever traveling to the US, some of you hold such negative opinions towards the US and it's citizens.

I will state that some points made do hold some validity. Others are so off base and ill informed that some of you deserve to be in the US with the rest of the groups of close-minded unintelligent individuals that are ruining the US as a whole.

I'm happy to debate. I do enjoy it and if you want to question my background feel free. I'm a 25 year old small business owner and student. I'm a registered voter, gun owner, supporter of gay marriage, and a racial minority( Filipino mostly with Scottish and German decent). Not a lot about the US I haven't seen.

However, I am fleeing to England to attend a uni in the north for a reason.
Original post by NDE
Thought I should jump into this thread... As an American and Californian.

I find it mildly amusing that without ever traveling to the US, some of you hold such negative opinions towards the US and it's citizens.

I will state that some points made do hold some validity. Others are so off base and ill informed that some of you deserve to be in the US with the rest of the groups of close-minded unintelligent individuals that are ruining the US as a whole.

I'm happy to debate. I do enjoy it and if you want to question my background feel free. I'm a 25 year old small business owner and student. I'm a registered voter, gun owner, supporter of gay marriage, and a racial minority( Filipino mostly with Scottish and German decent). Not a lot about the US I haven't seen.

However, I am fleeing to England to attend a uni in the north for a reason.

My goodness, we sound a lot alike. Well, except for that I'm a white female and you're a Filipino male. Maybe you'll have better luck debating against the alexs'. Careful though, one of them might call you a scared little boy for being a gun owner.
Reply 235
My goodness, we sound a lot alike. Well, except for that I'm a white female and you're a Filipino male. Maybe you'll have better luck debating against the alexs'. Careful though, one of them might call you a scared little boy for being a gun owner.

haha scared i am not. lol. i hunt. and id like to see them survive two drive bys, being robbed at gun point , and being carjacked at gunpoint on three occasions. being in the wrong place at the wrong time will make you by some protection. my hunting rifles are much to big to conceal and they would make a mess of things.
Original post by NDE
haha scared i am not. lol. i hunt. and id like to see them survive two drive bys, being robbed at gun point , and being carjacked at gunpoint on three occasions. being in the wrong place at the wrong time will make you by some protection. my hunting rifles are much to big to conceal and they would make a mess of things.

You've been carjacked at gunpoint three times? HOW HAVE YOU MANAGED THIS? I'm also from California, and have never handled or fired a gun, or even seen a gun fired. Maybe you need to drive a less awesome car?
Reply 237
Original post by teamnoether
You've been carjacked at gunpoint three times? HOW HAVE YOU MANAGED THIS? I'm also from California, and have never handled or fired a gun, or even seen a gun fired. Maybe you need to drive a less awesome car?

It just happens and always when i'm in a **** city. Oakland, Fresno, and Stockton. I attract negative attention, even in my home town
Reply 238
Original post by murphys
I want to start a debate, I like capitalism but I hate the American way of life, it also annoys me that it is said to be the land of the free when there is so much discrimination there.

Although America looks like it would be fun to visit, social inequalities and sheer wastage would just get me angry!

Any thoughts :smile:

Your opinion of america does not matter and is of no importance. You don't get a vote. You need to be concerned with other places like the condition of derelict europe which has fallen to complete and utter ****. The morals or essentially lack thereof is disgusting an unbecoming for anyone who calls themselves citizens of the world. Europeans stand by and watch massacres occur. The UK itself has raped land for resources and people. The horror that small place has set upon the world is shocking and anyone who is british should be forever ashamed to be associated with that place. Europeans are very racist, especially the british. Unfortunately it is ingrained in their culture. Europeans have always been arrogant and are known around the world for their snotty attitudes. There insistence that people ignore the sickness in the world is unbelievable.
Original post by Sharri5
Your opinion of america does not matter and is of no importance. You don't get a vote. You need to be concerned with other places like the condition of derelict europe which has fallen to complete and utter ****. The morals or essentially lack thereof is disgusting an unbecoming for anyone who calls themselves citizens of the world. Europeans stand by and watch massacres occur. The UK itself has raped land for resources and people. The horror that small place has set upon the world is shocking and anyone who is british should be forever ashamed to be associated with that place. Europeans are very racist, especially the british. Unfortunately it is ingrained in their culture. Europeans have always been arrogant and are known around the world for their snotty attitudes. There insistence that people ignore the sickness in the world is unbelievable.

and americans like you are well known to be the stupidest people alive, if you hate the uk so much, get off a BRITISH forum and go post on an american one, your a bigger troll then dykwia

Latest

Trending

Trending