Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

fossil hunting - carrying hammer etc

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    A few miles from me is a good fossil hunting beach which I haven't explored yet.

Obviously you need stuff like a hammer/chissel to crack the rocks open, but this would require me to carry it on a bus for about 3 miles and then walk another mile or so to the part of the beach where I stand a chance of actually finding a fossil.

I'd carry it in a bag, I'm not exactly going to jsut carry it and wave it about in peopoles faces, but say someone saw it, especially a policeman . . . could I get in trouble? It's not like a sharp blade that i'm gonna stab someone with but you could still do some damage to someone with it and cos i'm only a young adult I dunno if they'd believe me, although they probably would if it was on the way home and I actually had a fossil or two . . .

And any fossil hunting tips would be welcome
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    dont worry about the totalitarian nanny state. Enjoy fossil hunting.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)
    A few miles from me is a good fossil hunting beach which I haven't explored yet.

Obviously you need stuff like a hammer/chissel to crack the rocks open, but this would require me to carry it on a bus for about 3 miles and then walk another mile or so to the part of the beach where I stand a chance of actually finding a fossil.

I'd carry it in a bag, I'm not exactly going to jsut carry it and wave it about in peopoles faces, but say someone saw it, especially a policeman . . . could I get in trouble? It's not like a sharp blade that i'm gonna stab someone with but you could still do some damage to someone with it and cos i'm only a young adult I dunno if they'd believe me, although they probably would if it was on the way home and I actually had a fossil or two . . .

And any fossil hunting tips would be welcome

Just put it in an opaque bag.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stick all your stuff in a rucksack. And get some fossils in there and a fossil book for good measure, then if someone does stop you then your story about fossil hunting can be easily backed up.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Plus I know people that have found good fossils there but I don't think that many people actually use it, in the summer there's a lot of sunbathers on it, even up that far away from the shops and cafes.

I was going to put my stuff in an opaque bag, but the suggestion of a fossil book would help aswell it might actually be useful when i'm there . . .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I keep my Pick axe, Chisel, hammer in a bag and only take it out to use is!

Hope this helps!
    Daniel
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    when I went to lyme regis I walked about 5 miles with a hammer...

If its a busy place people would be used to it anyway....

Remember theres other fossils than ammonites
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    It isn't illegal to carry those things unless you're carrying them with the intent to commit a crime, where you could be arrested for going equipped.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    It isn't illegal to carry those things unless you're carrying them with the intent to commit a crime, where you could be arrested for going equipped.
    Errmmm, not exactly.

Going equipped to commit theft is a grey area, unless you look like you're likely to be out on the rob, then all will be fine.

Regarding Offensive Weapons, there's three types;
    1.Made
    2.Adapted
    3.Other carried with intention to cause harm.

1. Any item which is manufactured to cause harm to another (baton, most martial arts items and flick/auto knives)
    2. Any item which has been adapted so it can cause harm to another (think putting nails through a baseball bat etc)
    3.Any innocent item which the person carrying it has the intention to harm another with it (Wrapping belt around fist, Carrying a biro to stab into someone's neck etc).

A hammer would fall under 3. You'd have to satisfy and officer on the balance of probabilities that you were not carrying it with the intention to cause harm. That's the legal eagle way of putting it. Most probably, if you do get stopped (which is unlikely), a polite attitude and something like fossils/fossil book to back you up will be fine. Police Officers also have common sense and generally get a feel for who's out up to no good and who's not. Just be honest, up front and polite and you'll be fine. That advise goes to anyone talking to anyone in authority.

Sorry for the legal eagle response, but I'm not one for telling half fact.
    -
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sierra166)
    Errmmm, not exactly.

Going equipped to commit theft is a grey area, unless you look like you're likely to be out on the rob, then all will be fine.
    Yes that's what i said.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    My friend keeps a lot of his equipment in a smaller bag within his main bag, he does a hell of a lot of rockhounding and fossil digging in fairly public areas and says the less likely you can make joe public see something the better. You'd think everyone would have common sense not to report you instantly to the police for having some basic tools but it happens.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine, I'm a geologist and usually carry my hammer on the outside of my rucksack when I'm out and about in the field and in my bag whilst I'm getting to where I'm going. I've never had any questions further than an interested 'oh, what are you doing?'. You're only carrying an offensive weapon if you start flapping it around in people's faces. If you're worried, other general fossil hunting paraphernalia such as a fossil book and an outdoors outfit (waterproofs, walking boots, walking trainers).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 10, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.