The Student Room Group

Does iFS Financial studies DipFS count as an A-Level?

Hey, so i'm taking my A-Levels next year and I'm picking iFS Financial Studies (DipFS) and I just want to know if it's classed as an A-Level or a BTEC or any other kind?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Stano123
Hey, so i'm taking my A-Levels next year and I'm picking iFS Financial Studies (DipFS) and I just want to know if it's classed as an A-Level or a BTEC or any other kind?

Thanks.

It's a level 3 diploma.

http://www.ifslearning.ac.uk/financialcapability/ApplicationofUCAStariffforCeFSandDipFS.aspx
Reply 2

So what does that mean? It counts for an A-Level or not?
Reply 3
So what does that mean? It counts for an A-Level or not?

no
it counts for the same number of UCAS points as an a level and may aid with your application to certain universities but it doesn't count as an A level nor will it be valued in practice as such.
Reply 5
Original post by Helloworld_95
it counts for the same number of UCAS points as an a level and may aid with your application to certain universities but it doesn't count as an A level nor will it be valued in practice as such.

So what does it count as? A BTEC?

There course i'm going to be applying for requires AAB at A-Level?
So what does it count as? A BTEC?

There course i'm going to be applying for requires AAB at A-Level?

Then you need AAB in your a levels and the DipFS doesn't count towards that.
Reply 7
Original post by Helloworld_95

It only counts for 60 UCAS points, it is not worth the same as an AS/A level.

@Op - http://www.ifslearning.ac.uk/Libraries/Financial_Capability_Documents/Higher_Education_Institutions.sflb.ashx
List of unis who acknowledge the qualification.
Reply 8
i did this at college and it does equal the same ucas score as A level. the 1st year of this course is seen as an AS level and the 2nd year as A2 (in terms of ucas score). you have no coursework in this course just exams. 3 units in the 1st yr and 3 units in the 2nd just like A levels.
Original post by tehforum

@Op - http://www.ifslearning.ac.uk/Libraries/Financial_Capability_Documents/Higher_Education_Institutions.sflb.ashx

that's for the CeFS
http://www.ucas.com/he_staff/quals/ucas_tariff/tariff#ifs
Reply 10
Original post by tehforum

I checked the link and my university that i'm going to be applying to (University of Liverpool) is on that list! Does this mean that They will accept the final DipFS grade towards the AAB that is required?
Reply 11
I checked the link and my university that i'm going to be applying to (University of Liverpool) is on that list! Does this mean that They will accept the final DipFS grade towards the AAB that is required?

E-mail them to check.
Reply 12

keep in mind specific departments may also have a say on if they are prepared to accept this IFS qualification.
Reply 13
Ok, some universities accept these two courses (points score uni's) and some uni's accept them as a full a level when combined (such as Leicester and reading). Obviously however, you need to email the specific university and ask them in order to get a definitive answer

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
It's good if your taking other a level courses. I'm taking maths, business studies, ict (OCR) and diploma in finance. I've been offered a place at Durham and they want me to get an A grade in it
Reply 15
does any one know if brunel university accepts it as an A-level ?
Reply 16
I'm going to the Ifs uni next year and I've done the CFS and I've almost finished my DipFS with AAC last year and AA so far this.
Due to the fact its their course, they accept it, especially as its a point uni. I am aiming to get an A overall which is 120 ucas points overall(if I'm not mistaken) This counts as a full a level to a point university but to a uni like brunel I very much doubt they'd count it, but you'd have to email them
Good luck :smile:
Reply 17
Hi there , I was thinking of taking the subject on for next year (year 13) , do you think it's possible to do the full a level course in one year add in already doing economics which relatively similar

Quick Reply