Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you give blood?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovefoxxx_93)
    I received an email a few days ago telling me about the new restrictions.

I'm not sure whether or not I meet the new criteria. I don't know exactly how tall I am and I haven't weighed myself in about 4 years. I was planning on donating on Tuesday...should I just turn up anyway and see what they think?
    I would - you won't know if you don't try
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Giving blood is one of the easiest ways to help people...
    I kinda feel like I should as well considering i'm OR-
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain the new restrictions to me? I give blood, I'm in the shaded area, I'm 17, and I haven't grown since I was 12. What changes when I become 20?
    Edit: Just checked everything and I'm exactly 3500ml .. so I'm okay I think!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My blood type is AB- which is the universal donor one so as much as I hate that sickly light headed feeling after having it done, I do it quite a bit.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Bungle)
    My blood type is AB- which is the universal donor one so as much as I hate that sickly light headed feeling after having it done, I do it quite a bit.
    AB- is the universal recipient. O- is the universal donor. Still, as it's the rarest type, more is better!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Bungle)
    O- is actually the universal donor, I think AB- is a universal receiver of all neg blood types.

Sorry for being pernickety, you were just stealing the O negger's thunder :p:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Only once, I would love to give blood again but I seem to struggle to find anywhere near to uni/at reasonable times to actually go along! Quite annoying since they regularly did sessions on our university campus last year but seem to have stopped since. Lame. I do also have the slight inconvenience of having chronic eczema in the creases of my elbows, and I was told I can't give blood when that's flared up.. which is an awful lot of the time, annoyingly!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belle-x)
    I did it once. Took them a while to find my vein but they got a full bag in the end. Went the second time and the nurse was really rude, didn't have the time to find the vein and told me not to go back for a few years :| I probably won't do it again now tbh after that.
    you shouldn't let a bad experience with one nurse put you off. The majority of them are lovely and make you feel good for coming in and doing it, you just get the occasional arsey one who hates their job! Think about the wider picture of why you give blood rather than the fact that one NHS worker was having a bad day and was a bit rude.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have health issues which prevent me from donating blood but if I could I would.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    I might do, needles make me feel really sick though so i'm not sure how i would react to it.
    The next local one isn't until next month anyway.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo donkey)
    Bone marrow's more a case of being on the register and just waiting, you could be on it your life and never give or go on and need to do it after a week. But here's hoping I get to help someone with mine too eh, been on the list for a few years now
    I was rejected for the BM register as well which is a shame my dad had a transplant and I really wanted to be a part of that but my health issues mean they won't take my blood or bone marrow as my physical health is too fragile which sucks.

Props to all who do it though!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to do it, but realistically I don't think I ever could-I'm deathly afraid of needles! I doubt the nurses would be grateful for me turning up in the full knowledge I'd be on the floor the second he/she touched me...
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by player19)
    Yes, i give blood for about 5 times. it stared in my high school where blood donoring was organised. If we spend blood we would have a day free.
    That's actually a really good idea to try to get more 17 and 18 year olds to donate blood. Day off school if you donate.

I gave blood for the first time the other week, turned 17 a few months ago and just got around to it. It felt really good and I intend to continue donating blood.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would if I could, but I'm just really scared of needles. I have to cross the road to even walk past the blood donation centre

Why the neg? People can't help having phobias :/
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo donkey)
    I do, giving today for the big 10th time, get a bronze card for my troubles. But really it's cool to know it's helping people out there who need it.

So, do you do it?
    i went to give blood the other month, told me i shouldnt til im 100% tumour free.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dirtyoldriver)
    you shouldn't let a bad experience with one nurse put you off. The majority of them are lovely and make you feel good for coming in and doing it, you just get the occasional arsey one who hates their job! Think about the wider picture of why you give blood rather than the fact that one NHS worker was having a bad day and was a bit rude.
    Unfortunately, if it is the same in all situations, when a nurse suggests you don't go back for a while, they actually put it into the system so you're not allowed to book an appointment or even just turn up until they're happy to accept you - the first time I tried, I tried to sign up afterwards and it wouldn't let me because they'd recommended I wait a couple of years. I called up and they wouldn't even tell me when I could book again.

Turns out I can't do it anyway.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could, but I'm underweight
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes my partner and I do.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, because until a few days ago I believed you had to be 18 to give blood. But apparently it's changed to 17, or maybe that's just in Scotland. They should make this more well known, I'd have given blood the other day if I'd known before! Ah well, I'll catch 'em next time.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No, I only drink it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: September 2, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.