Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you give blood?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really really really want too, but apparently I do not weigh enough, I believe you have to weigh 8 stone? I'm going to eat lots and lots of cake...
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will be next year, when I will be old enough.

It's simple, quick and pretty easy but saves lives.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never given blood. I would like to though.
    So one day, soon.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went the other day, but unfortunately my iron levels were just too low. I'll make sure i'll be okay next time, though.
    • 138 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope, but I do give money to charity
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I gave today. Not even any funny business from my veins. Properly quick and easy like it should be

(Original post by Multitalented me)
    Nope, but I do give money to charity
    While that's good I don't think it's comparable since no amount of money in the world can make blood to give someone. They are completely separate resources so you can't speak of them as if they are interchangeable
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I respect all forms of charity, if you're scared to hell of needles or can't give blood, it's not like you aren't just being tight about your blood.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo donkey)
    I respect all forms of charity, if you're scared to hell of needles or can't give blood, it's not like you aren't just being tight about your blood.
    That's true. For some people it is too hard and we don't really need everyone to give blood so fair enough. Though the post I replied to didn't say that was the case. I think everyone who can should
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I gave for the 3rd time yesterday. Took me a bit longer than usual because I had to go to Boots to weigh myself.

They changed the machines so you can't see how much you've got left to give.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and I love it! Am 18 and have only done it 3 times so far.

I love giving blood, knowing that what takes 20 minutes of my life could extend a life by 20 years, that something so insignificant in my life could be so life-changing for another, and that what costs me nothing, can be so priceless.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was really quite excited when I was going to give blood for the first time - I'm AB neg, and only about 1% of the population has it so apparently they can never get enough of it.

Unfortunately my GP had to remind me that because of the medication I'm on and my medical history they wouldn't be able to use it

However, I'm told that should I die, my organs would still be usable, so I settled for being an organ donor instead.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I nearly faint every time. Last Tuesday I sat up, nearly fainted, had to rest for a while, went over to get a drink and a biscuit, then nearly fainted again and had to be put back on the trolley. As a supposedly fit, 23 year old, 11 stone man it's rather embarrassing to be like this when there are a bunch of old ladies there giving blood and not even feeling slightly woozy afterwards.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would love to, but terrified of needles
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I nearly faint every time. Last Tuesday I sat up, nearly fainted, had to rest for a while, went over to get a drink and a biscuit, then nearly fainted again and had to be put back on the trolley. As a supposedly fit, 23 year old, 11 stone man it's rather embarrassing to be like this when there are a bunch of old ladies there giving blood and not even feeling slightly woozy afterwards.
    The way I have found not to feel faint, is before you have it drink a water (a proper amount about a pint) and a chocolate bar (or something else sugary ) Seems to help

Also the title of your fitness blog is amazing!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    The way I have found not to feel faint, is before you have it drink a water (a proper amount about a pint) and a chocolate bar (or something else sugary ) Seems to help

Also the title of your fitness blog is amazing!!
    I definitely drank enough beforehand, and then had nearly a pint to drink immediately before the donation as they recommended. I suppose I could have eaten more, but I did't have an empty stomach.

I know when I gave blood the first 2 times about 3 years ago I hadn't drunk enough beforehand, but this time I drank more and I'm a stone heavier than I was so I was surprised I still struggled so much.

Thanks, but you've just reminded me that I'm being completely lazy as I haven't been in the gym since Tuesday and won't have the chance until Sunday now!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleone271)
    Well done! It doesn't even hurt to be honest.. I was kinda nervous the first time I did it but it was completely fine .. And you get free bourbons, crisps and squash. They don't actually tend to give tea to first timers. I think it's something to do with the heat. But yeah you can eat as many biscuits and crisps as you like And I always see it as an excuse to go to spoons for a nice big fat gourmet beef burger that afternoon without feeling guilty lol
    Apologies for reviving an old thread Was just reading through the thread and seeing all the horror stories and wanted to share my first experience for fairness.

I signed up for a date on the internet, but turns out there were no spaces. I was sent a letter asking me to phone and make another appointment. I didn't, pure laziness. After a while they phonedme and asked if I still wanted to donate. I did, so they booked me a place on a session near me. I had a heart operation when I was 5 and although my doctor had said it wouldn't be a problem, I checked with the call centre, spoke to a nurse and she said it would be fine and sent me a letter out to take to the appointment to tell them it was ok.

They sent me a reminder about a week before the appointment, with a questionnaire to fill in. I took that along to the appointment. Was shown to a waiting area and given a pint of water to drink first. Waited for a few minutes, then went into a cubicle to speak to an admin person. They ran through my form with me, took a pin prick blood sample from my finger for an iron test (you wouldn't even know it was a needle, and it didn't hurt). I had to speak to a nurse about my heart op, but he looked at my letter, asked a couple of questions and said it was fine.

Was then moved to a different waiting area for a couple of minutes. Then collected by a nurse, who talked me through everything, took my to a bed, felt for a vein, put on a "blood pressure cuff", sterilised my elbow for 30 seconds, then put the needle in... and missed the vein. She was horrified and kept apologising. I said it was fine, and she said I might get a small bruise there (I didn't) and gave me a leaflet. She asked if I wanted to try the other arm and I said yes. She told me she couldn't try again (its their policy, someone else has to try the second time, because there's too much pressure on them to get it right the second time) so she got another nurse.

The other nurse did the same thing on my left arm, and this time it went in fine. I couldn't see the needle once it was in, because the cuff was in the way. The bag hangs under the bed, so you can't see that either. It felt a little bit odd, having the needle in. Almost like when you have a plaster on a joint and its stretching the skin, not painful, but different to the rest fo the skin. I just lied on the bed opening and closing my hand. Other people were reading books/newspapers etc.

It only lasts a few minutes, then my timer went off and a male nurse came and whipped the needle out, put a plaster on (as they hd done with the other arm) and asked me to sign another disclaimer, for the other arm. Then I was taken over to another waiting area, given a cup of coffee and invited to help myself to a range of crisps, biscuits and chocolate bars. The guy in the recovery area was awesome, he made me an appointmnet for next time, told me well done and forced chocolate biscuits on me to take home. I felt absolutely fine, no dizziness or lightheadedness etc. Had a chat with another lady, read some leaflets. Then the guy told me I could go home. I got the bus home, with a plaster on the inside of each elbow and on my finger (boyfriend kindly said I looked like a druggie) and felt totally fine.

Less than 5% of people who are eligible to give blood do. If you want to give blood and your only reason for not doing so is because you haven't gotten around to it, or you are apprehensive because you don't know what it entails, I would really encourage you to make an appointment today. They make it so very easy, and the actual giving blood bit is so well organised, and actually kind of fun. They don't expect you to be a seasoned pro, they explain everything, and its so worthwhile.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done it before, I'm sure I'd be eligible but I don't know if I could handle having that much blood taken without fainting. I've had a blood test done before and that was fine though.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    I haven't done it before, I'm sure I'd be eligible but I don't know if I could handle having that much blood taken without fainting. I've had a blood test done before and that was fine though.
    Have a look on their website. Because you're female if you're under 20 you have to refer to a different weight chart and if you're 20+ then you only have to be 8 and a half stone I think.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    They take a pint, which is about 10% of your blood. Your body should replenish it very quickly.

I have every sympathy for people who can't donate for either medical reasons or because of the restrictions on who can give blood. If you want to give blood and you can't, its a shame, but if you're not sure if you can or not, it might be worth trying it once to find out. Best case scenario, you are absolutely fine, worst case scenario you faint, have a lie down for a bit and a chocolate biscuit, and decide you don't want to do it again. Either way you will know, and will have done something amazing in the process
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't give blood, but I will...

Just need to wait one more year till I'll hit the minimum age

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 2, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.