Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you give blood?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    To those looking for times and dates, literally just look it up on the blood website, there's so many times and dates out there to suit everyone, I always see my old teachers whenever I go strangely enough, but it's a small town. I guess it's romantic giving it today in a slashy sort of way
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just recently got over my fear of blood tests

I might do when I get older

But I make it my target to put whatever back into the system that I take out in terms of blood, haven't needed any yet but if I do I'll replenish it!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yup I do. Haven't for a while though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firepanda)

But I make it my target to put whatever back into the system that I take out in terms of blood, haven't needed any yet but if I do I'll replenish it!
    Only problem is that if you have received a blood transfusion then you carn't donate.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

I don't think you can donate after a transfusion......
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I gave blood yesterday and also got my bronze award
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    Shock caused by loss of body fluids.

Basically, I went very pale and clammy soon after giving blood. I was sat on the floor by someone, who took my pulse etc. and apparently it was very weak & thready.
    I then tried to stand up when they turned their back and promptly fell to the floor. Had heart palpitations, found it hard to control my breathing (was basically hyperventilating. And then collapsed.
    Definitely not something I wish to repeat. It was really rather scary - and it happened to me again the next day :/
    is that the same as panic attack?

I had a nurse take my blood at hospital when I was 16, I was fine with the needle but as soon as the blood was being drained my heart went weird and I could feel a noticeable drop in blood pressure, then apparantly I was out for about 5 mins (With a bruise on my arms as I yanked the needle)

Mine was probably a panic attack, as they only took a few ml of blood at that point.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaAnne94)
    I don't think you can donate after a transfusion......
    Oh really.. why not? I thought after a few weeks that blood would have been replaced by my system or something.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh really.. why not? I thought after a few weeks that blood would have been replaced or something.
    This gives a list of things
    http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-bl...nt-give-blood/
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovefoxxx_93)
    My first session is next week!

Some of these stories on here are starting to worry me though...
    They're rare examples, eat and drink plenty before you go and you'll be fine
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will be donating for the third time in a few weeks! It's such a good cause and got my blood donor key ring on my car keys haha!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovefoxxx_93)
    My first session is next week!

Some of these stories on here are starting to worry me though...
    Like the last post said eat and drink before going. They also make you drink some water beforehand anyway .

The nurses are so friendly and will help you if you need it, if you're nervous just tell them it's your first time and they'll try to explain it a bit more to you.

Even if you do faint it's not so bad, the nurses are prepared to handle it
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would but I have a massive phobia of medical needles - last time I had a blood test I nearly had a panic attack.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    is that the same as panic attack?

I had a nurse take my blood at hospital when I was 16, I was fine with the needle but as soon as the blood was being drained my heart went weird and I could feel a noticeable drop in blood pressure, then apparantly I was out for about 5 mins (With a bruise on my arms as I yanked the needle)

Mine was probably a panic attack, as they only took a few ml of blood at that point.

If you hadn't actually lost any / much fluid then it wasn't hypovolaemic shock - probably a panic attack, as you said. Hypovolaemic shock is caused by a loss of bodily fluids

I got told by my doctor that I am essentially a freak, as it happens rarely.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i did it for the first time in january. i have a problem with needles so im trying to get over it and figured this might be a good way to do it and will help people at the same time. plus my grandma and grandad did it for years and said it was a really good feeling (think she made it to either the 75 or 100 donation stage).

it wasnt nearly as bad as i thought it would be, as long as i dont look at the needle then its not too bad. though i got told that i am a slow bleeder so it took a bit longer than most people there and had to keep wiggling my fingers to keep it going, which my sister said she might have known id be awkward as i cant do anything normally/simply.lol.

plus i got kinda excited to get my card come through the post for some reason, was a nice feeling. platelet donation really doesnt appeal to me though so i think ill just stick to normal blood donation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would if I was old enough
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    No! I couldn't even if I wanted to.. just because I'm gay! Discrimination... I think so! :/
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, gave blood for the first time in December. Booked again for next month. I nearly feinted the first time - but I'm hoping if I take it slower this time i'll be ok!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm seventeen, I'm O Negative, I really should.

Buuuut I'm terrified of needles.

Quick; someone talk me into it!
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpunkyVanDros)
    I tried to but then they asked me have i been to Africa in the past 6 months i answered yes and they acted like i have aids as well as hepatitis A,B and C.

I will next year

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 2, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.