Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you give blood?

Announcements Posted on
Make a difference in the community and greet new people - join the Welcome Squad! 22-10-2014
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hikikomori)
    Where I’m from it has your blood group on it and took about a month. How usefully this information is only time, or possible forthcoming post, will tell.
    (Original post by Samus2)
    The card comes about 3 weeks after your first donation with a leaflet that gives you info about blood groups!

I'm o-, so, everyone can have my blood but I can only have o-
    (Original post by laurennmc)
    I got mine 3 weeks after giving blood, it does tell you your blood group - i'm O+, the most common so I'm quite lucky I guess if I ever need blood! Although like you I wanted to have a rare one
    Got my card (funnily enough made of actual card) early at a little over a week.

To quote the letter I am "AB+ or AB Rh (rhesus)". (or? :lolwut:)

Don't know exactly what that means, but from a quick google (and look in the leaflet), I think I may have obtained my wish about having rare blood...I can now go into the fetal position contemplating how screwed I'd be if I needed blood... :eek:

Oh well, atleast I'd be helping others out I guess...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)

Don't know exactly what that means, but from a quick google (and look in the leaflet), I think I may have obtained my wish about having rare blood...I can now go into the fetal position contemplating how screwed I'd be if I needed blood... :eek:

AB+ and AB Rh are the same blood type. Its just a different way for saying it. Your blood type is AB and rhesus positive.

Congratulations, you are indeed rare. I'm A+ which I think is second most common after O+. Common as muck, me

Having said that, its good to donate if you have a rare blood type, because there's not a lot of it in the system. Its also good to donate if you have a common blood type, because its needed more often than rare blood types. Its a win/win really!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    .I can now go into the fetal position contemplating how screwed I'd be if I needed blood... :eek:
    ...except AB+ can receive any blood type at all. Literally anyone can give you blood. edit: At least, anyone can give you red cells.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

(Original post by nexttime)
    ...except AB+ can receive any blood type at all. Literally anyone can give you blood. edit: At least, anyone can give you red cells.
    Yup, you're actually quite lucky blood-wise, you can receive any type I can only have my own type, and no others I'm screwed!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't I've got type 1 diabetes so they don't want mine, sad times.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait until I'm 17 and can give blood! I don't know what my blood type is, but apparently there's a shortage of black Caribbean donors and being mixed race I'm happy to help
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did once, then I fainted..then I got sick for two more days, now I dare not to five blood. I should think of other ways to help people, donating is just too dangerous for me
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I need to check appointments for over the autumn really now to make sure I give just after doing a half marathon as opposed to just before, can't imagine that'd particularly help in the slightest. And my PGCE, might just wait until Christmas holidays when I've got less commitments really like loads of driving and things
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just booked my 6th appointment, should have done 8 by now but medical issues stopped me twice
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Disappointed this thread has be relegated to 'Chat'. I don't think its spam at all, and don't understand how organ donation is an 'Everyday Issue' whereas blood donation isn't.

From a brief glance through the thread you can see how many people have been motivated into giving blood by reading this thread. Its disappointing that TSR don't see the incredibly low rates of blood donation (only 4% of people who are eligible to give blood do) as an important enough issue to allow it to be promoted in a 'non-spam' section of the forum
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how you can find out if you've had a blood transfusion? If I haven't had one I'll go back and try (after Christmas because I recently had a tattoo), but if I have I don't want to risk it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    Does anyone know how you can find out if you've had a blood transfusion? If I haven't had one I'll go back and try (after Christmas because I recently had a tattoo), but if I have I don't want to risk it.
    I think it would noted somewhere on your personal health record that your GP will have.I have seen my records on their computer screen when I've been for an appointment, I had a sly look while the Dr was doing something else.Or failing that would your parents know?.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harley)
    Yup, you're actually quite lucky blood-wise, you can receive any type I can only have my own type, and no others I'm screwed!
    Same haha
    Least I can donate to everyone though :cool:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    I'm seconding GP. I wasn't sure either, because I had open heart surgery when I was 5 and just assumed that a blood transfusion would have been part of the process.

I asked my GP and he said nowadays only if there were complications (and my parents said the surgery had gone perfectly well), but he'd check with a colleague. He then wrote to me confirming that it was very unlikely I'd have had one, and I showed that to the blood donation team and they took that as fine

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 2, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.