Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you give blood?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Myths and facts on Student Finance - on TSR from 2pm! 15-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the register but I haven't donated yet- every time a session in my area comes up I'm either on antibiotics/ recently tattood/ post-op.
    Will donate as soon as I can.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Hi guys,

When I was 16 I became very ill with a very rare blood condition called Aplastic Anemia. My original treatment failed, so when I was 17 I had to have a Bone Marrow Transplant.

I have had over 200 blood and platelet transfusions so to all you blood donors I want to say a Big

THANK YOU!!

As without people like you I fear I would be long cold in the grave.

If you guys could do me a favour and next time you give blood if you could ask to become a bone marrow donor and become a part of this

http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/bonemarrow/

alternatively if you don't give blood can you please join The Anthony Nolan Trust:

http://www.anthonynolan.org/

For the Anthony Nolan Trust you get sent a bottle which you have to spit in and then send that off. They then analyze your proteins in your spit and add you to their data base. No blood and no needles!!

Thank you guys, I can not appreciate blood donors enough!!

You might save someone closer to you than you might think.

P.s. Any questions (within reason) I'll happily answer either on this thread or PM me

I am a registered bone marrow donor as well as a blood donor.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm on both of those bone marrow lists and don't mention it, it's why we do it

Back from #10 just now, good times
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know my own blood type lol.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    What about platelets? Anybody donate? Is the process similiar? Just registered as a donor, would like to be eligible for platelets.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaindaclub)
    What about platelets? Anybody donate? Is the process similiar? Just registered as a donor, would like to be eligible for platelets.
    Thats the only thing I CANT donate.....apparently its because I've had children and have some type of antibodies in my blood or something.

But its worth asking at the blood bank.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/index.asp

Says you should ask at reception next time you donate blood

Edit: See below post by robo donkey - he knows more than I!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T'archer)
    Donating on Friday (9th time). Does anyone give platelets? Before your first test are you meant to ring to book an appointment stating that you want to do a platelet test, or just turn up and announce it?
    What are platelets?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternal*)
    What are platelets?
    They clot your blood. Without them if you cut yourself, the blood keeps flowing out.

Having had a platelet count of 1 (normal level is above 150 approx) you can't brush your teeth often as your gums just bleed and bleed and bleed!

Hope this helps!

For futher reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platelet
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You need to do it at a permanent centre, ie not your town hall type thing. You get a needle in both arms and it takes it out of one, filters it in puts plateletless blood back in the other. It lasts a heck of a lot longer too but you can do it way more often as well
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    They clot your blood. Without them if you cut yourself, the blood keeps flowing out.

Having had a platelet count of 1 (normal level is above 150 approx) you can't brush your teeth often as your gums just bleed and bleed and bleed!

Hope this helps!

For futher reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platelet
    Thanks
    Thats very useful
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo00oo)
    No, I refuse to donate unless I am given the choice of the type of person the donation goes to.

The idea of my blood and/or organs sustaining the life of somebody I would actively despise puts me off donating.

If the NHS allowed me to give them a criteria list with my donation then I'd be happy to. Until then, junkies and other such scum won't be getting a drop.

I'll happily donate if a friend or family member needs it. Otherwise, the system just doesn't work for me.
    Remind me that if this idea ever becomes legislation, I do not want to donate my blood to YOU then, because you are selfish!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Data)
    The weight limit is 7 1/2 stone. Just how small are you?
    I'm 9 stone but still... I don't particularly want to faint :rolleyes:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    I'm 9 stone but still... I don't particularly want to faint :rolleyes:
    You shouldn't faint.... It is extremely rare for someone to faint whilst giving blood for someone who is above 7.5 stone.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will do once im 18 I think it would be illegal if i tried now
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would, but I don't have blood because I'm a robot.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I gave blood for the first time last month. It was no big deal, and you get free tunnocks teacakes after = WIN :borat:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firepanda)
    I just recently got over my fear of blood tests

I might do when I get older

But I make it my target to put whatever back into the system that I take out in terms of blood, haven't needed any yet but if I do I'll replenish it!
    What if they give you a blood transfusion and you die anyway?

I'm a believer that if you're willing to receive you should be willing to give and in this instance the giving should come as early as possible. It's different if you can't give blood for medical reasons but I don't think fear is a good enough reason.

How old are you? I think it's probably a case of the younger the better providing you're 17 or over.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwsomePossum)
    I will do once im 18 I think it would be illegal if i tried now
    You only have to be 17.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaperBoy)
    I don't even know my own blood type lol.
    You don't need to know it when you give blood. You just go and fill in some forms and they tell you what your blood type is. You should definitely give it a go.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 2, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.