The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

mmmmmmm, i was just wonderinnn.

hey guys,
i'm an international student n probably goin to UCL now tht i have an offer..............n from where i'm from......quite a few have got offers for LSE and UCL etc....which are pretty close to each other. basically my question is this............does buying a decent house wit decent waterworks, electricity n all that stuff worth it if the price can be shared between 5-10 of us? i just thought it'd be an interesting idea and a great way to keep in touch with old friends and make new friends from other unis? what do you guys think? isit really unrealistic?

:biggrin: :p: thanks for any input, i rly appreciate it.

ben
Reply 1
well, I got an offer from LSE, and I am still waiting for king's/ucl, think ur idea is great but I doubt that you'll find a house which is big and cheap enough for 5-10 studs, ucl/lse are in the centre of london and hmm but basically, I like your idea!:biggrin:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
I was watching the local news today and the average price of a house in london is now over 300,000 pounds, and by london I mean "greater london", not just the central bit. For one able to fit 5-10 people in you'd be talking significantly more, especially if you want to be even vaguely close to your place of study. I'm 40 mins train ride out of Victoria and a four bedroom house costs around 400,000. Bear in mind you'd also have to pay council tax (approx. 1500 a year) as well(I think that's how it works).

With overseas student fees to contend with as well, I'd say it was a back-breakingly expensive way to go about things.
To find a single place that sleeps 10 people in central London would cost over a million. As you're all students, well, you wouldn't pay council tax... but quite frankly, you won't find it very easy.

Individual units in a rather more managed environment (ie. student halls) makes a great deal more sense.
Reply 4
well, i don't literally mean a house with 5-10 single rooms.....but enough rooms so that 2-4 could cram in a room n still be comfy. i mean.....for all i know, it could even be just a relatively big sized apartment? i duno anythin about the tax system.......so that part im really clueless. n those numbers i'm reading is pretty insane.......but not surprising i guess. nevertheless, there are quite alot of benefits with living amongst a group of friends i reckon? imagine maintaining all those old friendships, dinners together n crazy house parties n meetin wit new ppl from diff unis? haha just an idea :p: i think it sounds pretty cool. definitely think its worth researching into :smile: :biggrin: n......i think im referring specifically to central london, so travelling distance to uni is reasonable...........haha no idea what im talkin about:rolleyes: :p:

ben
If you all apply to the same intercollegiate hall, you can all be in the same building etc. and then on arrival, do 'swaps' with the other residents so then you all end up on the same floor etc.

That's probably your best, reasonably priced, bet.
Reply 6
Why do you have to live with people in order to remain friends with them? If you do, then it runs the risk of becoming very insular. Why not just live in halls, make new friends and also meet up with those people you alreday know?
How long will you be friends if you're crammed 2-4 in a room? Buying sounds like a nice idea, but...for a house with any space for co-owners,...! Really expensive.

Latest

Trending

Trending