The Student Room Group

Should I transfer? Opinions?

To transfer or not to transfer...
Register to remove banners from posts Dear students,

I would like to ask for as many opinions as possible on this matter.

Last year when I first applied to University through UCAS, I applied to the following five Universities to do Business Studies:

1) Oxford Brookes
2) Bristol UWE
3) Plymouth
4) Northampton
5) Southampton Solent

I am from Oxford myself, and before receiving any offers I did secretly always want to study at Brookes due to it being the best ranked for the course I wanted to do, and because I love the city of Oxford. However, my grade predictions were not high enough for the course, therefore I think this is why I did not receive an offer from them.

After this, I received offers from all of my other 4 choices, ranging from 220 - 300 UCAS points with my 3 A Levels and Extended Project Qualification.

Subsequently, I firmed UWE and put Plymouth as my second choice University. As soon as I started my course after freshers week at UWE I did not really enjoy the working environment, but after speaking to people about my disheartened feeling towards my situation I was told to give it a chance, which is fair enough. 3 months later I still feel the same. I love the nightlife in Bristol and socially I am having a great time, but in all fairness I do not want to pay just for a social life, I want to be happy and motivated towards where I am studying. I personally think I will feel better studying at Brookes, I enquired and was told that I would be considered for a credit transfer if I applied through UCAS, which I have.

My problem is, is that I have made some great friends in Bristol already but I do not feel happy studying there, assuming that I may get an offer to transfer to Oxford Brookes do I transfer to the place that I would feel happier studying at and leave my friends or not? opinions please...

Thanks,

Matt.
Reply 1
Considering you made friends in Bristol within a short span of 3 months, what makes you think you would have a problem making new friends at oxford? Dont stick around just for the sake of friends made over a few months.
I feel the exact same,
Ive made friends at my Uni, some really good friends who i miss when i go home for holidays, and ive also been offered and exchange programme next year.
But theres still that small voice in the back of my mind telling me this really isn't for me and I should consider moving.
if youve made good friendships in 3 months i wouldn't worry about making friends.

At the end of the day, you don't want to waste 3 years on a social life,
because at the end of the 3 years your Uni friends will be moving on, and all youll be left with is the memories of the good old days.

Quick Reply

Latest