The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
alright I believe you
Damn you Crazy Mongoose Damn you!:biggrin::biggrin:
They should be given a cyanide pill job done
Or made to lick women's patches everyday that ain't been washed for a week
It depends how the murderer kills the victim. If he sticks a knife through their heart then yes it is incredibly inhuman but if they sadisticly torture the victims then they deserve it. But imagine being awake and feeling your skin melt and feel your eyeballs fall of you face... eww. I still think it’s incredibly inhumane and the states classify it as justice. See this is why I live in Britain.
It depends how the murderer kills the victim. If he sticks a knife through their heart then yes it is incredibly inhumane but if they sadisticly torture the victims then they deserve it. But imagine being awake and feeling your skin melt and feel your eyeballs fall of you face... eww. I still think it’s incredibly inhumane and the states classify it as justice. See this is why I live in Britain.
Question: Do you think the electric chair hurts?

Answer: They feel something.
Reply 106
Its designed, if memory serves, to deliver 2 seperate shocks - the first should hopefully knock you out and the second simply fries you. If the first fails its damn well going to hurt.
Whether it hurts regardless? Almost certainly. If the unlucky person is aware of it though is a different matter.
The method was invented to be humane as an alternative to hanging which was frequently botched. I should imagine the initial jolt given the high voltage and sufficient current would be like being hit over the head with a sledgehammer. This would knock you out whlist the drop in current and voltage just knocks out the heart and other vital organs.
yes i am sure that it would hurt that would be very painful firing squad would be more humane
Original post by RedDragon
I was watching a program yesterday about women on death row and there was one women waiting to die by this method and I thought people call this humane but when you get an electric shock it hurts so it wouldn't be humane.What do you think.

Sorry if this in the wrong place I didn't know where the best place to put it was can the mods move it if it is thanks.

i am sure that it would hurt firing squad would be more humane
Original post by Flux
The condemned prisoner is typically strapped into the chair, with one electrode attached to the head and a second attached to the leg. At least two jolts of an electrical current would be applied for several minutes, depending on the person. An initial voltage of around 2,000 volts is used to break the initial resistance of the skin and cause unconsciousness (in theory people surviving to tell the tale are rare). The voltage is then lowered to reduce current flow so as to prevent burning. A current flow of around 8 amps is usual. The body of the condemned would heat up to 138°F (59°C), and the electric current would cause severe damage to internal organs.

In theory, unconsciousness occurs in a fraction of a second. There have been reports of victims' heads on fire, of burning transformers, and of letting the crying inmate wait in pain on the floor of the execution room while the chair was fixed. In 1946, the electric chair failed to kill Willie Francis, who reportedly shrieked "Stop it! Let me breathe!" as he was being executed. It turned out that the portable electric chair had been improperly set up by an intoxicated trustee. A case was brought before the U.S. Supreme Court (Francis v. Resweber), 329 U.S. 459 (1947), with lawyers for the convicted arguing that although Francis did not die, he had, in fact, been executed. The argument was rejected, and Francis was returned to the electric chair and killed the following year.

Further, regardless of how well the execution is performed, some skin is always burned and it is unpleasant for the guard charged with separating the burned, oozing skin from the seat belts. The victim loses control of his muscles after the initial jolt of electricity, and may start to defecate and urinate on the floor beneath the chair. This led to a refinement in modern electric chairs: they were padded, and came with automatic, car-style seat belts. The condemned may also wear a diaper.

Should convicted murderers etc only be allowed to die painlessly?
i don't think so they should die painfully
is it worser then a tattoo
well the way a electric chair works is they wet a sponge and put it under the helmet so there's only a small chance that it
Government is so full of **** and corrupt. It has no business putting anyone to death in the name of justice let alone this sick and barbaric method.
Original post by Rusty33
Everyone has a definition of "cruel and unusual." Under Islamic law, stoning someone to death is applied. What would you rather have? 10 second of electric current running through your body? Or, being impaled by hundreds of stones until your hemorrhage to death?

Both unacceptable

Latest

Trending

Trending