Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Does gay mean bad?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Me and most people I know use the word "gay" as an adjective for something bad/annoying/stupid. I don't mean it in a homophobic way yet people in society are always complaining about how everyone is doing this. The way I see it is words change their meaning over time however controversial and we should just let it happen. For example lame used to mean you were paralyzed, dumb used to mean you couldn't speak, lunatic used to mean you had a mental illness, sinister used to mean you were left handed, villain used to mean a poor person but they have all become derogatory terms that are now accepted. Maybe in a hundred years gay won't mean homosexual anymore and it will just mean "bad"
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find it really irritating when the word 'gay' is used in this way.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    i thought gay meant 'lame'.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wave)
    Me and most people I know use the word "gay" as an adjective for something bad/annoying/stupid. I don't mean it in a homophobic way yet people in society are always complaining about how everyone is doing this. The way I see it is words change their meaning over time however controversial and we should just let it happen. For example lame used to mean you were paralyzed, dumb used to mean you couldn't speak, lunatic used to mean you had a mental illness, sinister used to mean you were left handed, villain used to mean a poor person but they have all become derogatory terms that are now accepted. Maybe in a hundred years gay won't mean homosexual anymore and it will just mean "bad"
    It is unacceptable to use the word 'gay' in a derogative fashion. It still holds the meaning of homosexual and so if it is used as an insult it can still easily offend people. Semantic progression happens all the time but this doesn't mean we should just encourage it because it's an 'inevitable phenomenon'. When you call someone a lunatic you're stiff referring to someone with a mental illness. When you use the word 'gay' as an insult it will always hold it's meaning of homosexual. People still refer to homosexuals as 'gay' and so to use the word as an insult is wrong. It's not even proper semantic change. A proper semantic change is the word 'gay' shifting from meaning 'happy' or 'merry' to meaning 'homosexual'. This is just outright prejudice.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well for example is calling someone 'lunatic' different from the actual meaning of 'insane'? Not really because when someone does something different to the norm and even stupid you'd call them lunatic. It's the same but obviously you realise they aren't actually mentally ill. The word gay used to insult something hasn't grown into a new meaning. Like lunatic hasn't. People still use it to describe something that's a bit pathetic. Like, er for example if a boy said something like 'I love my mum!' (:teehee:) his friends will go 'haha that's gay'. Or if an object sucks, is fairly pathetic it's 'gay'. Obviously because homophones often view gays as weak, pathetic, girly

I also think it's childish calling something gay. Surly you've grown out of that. :lolwut:
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gay is good; if it's good for you.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever wondered how the word 'gay' came to mean 'homosexual' in the first place? (No it wasn't because homosexuals were always happy!)

Everyone knows that the word 'gay' used to mean 'happy and carefree'. Then this 'carefree' meaning was applied to sex. 'Gay' meant 'addicted to pleasures' or 'uninhibited by moral constraints', and was used with prostitutes or people who had lots of sex without being attached in a relationship.

So really, using the word 'gay' to mean 'homosexual' is offensive to homosexuals, as it implies they are promiscuous and engage in immoral, hedonistic non-serious and uncommitted sexual activity.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wave)
    It's a form of homophobic abuse, and used in a bullying way. Unfortunately some youth are just incredibly dumb, insecure about themselves, and insensitive to others. Occasionally they came out with some great stuff, but sometimes a few come out with such crap it's difficult to believe they learned to even walk upright, even less believable that they made it to university. Other should-know-better children then copy it, thinking they're cool, when actually they appear brainless, and cause harm to other people by using it negatively.

I wonder if any of those people who use it will have the balls to take responsibility for their part, the part they've undoubtedly played, in some LGBT teen suicides. There have been lots in the US, and a number here too.

Perhaps you should watch this and think about how it would be if we changed that word to Wave ..... that's so f---ing Wave, that is, utterly bad.

How would you feel if we all started saying that? I wonder if we should have a day worldwide where we choose a word and then demean it, and everyone associated with it. What will it be? That's so Muslim, That's so Catholic, That's so Christian, That's so Black, That's so White, That's so Female, That's so Male?

If you know it's used as an insult, which you clearly do, then you can only be using it because you must have been one of the school bullies who made other peoples lives a nightmare. So I'd say that you have a lot of making up to do for the harm you've caused - if you've used "gay" in that way.

Words don't often change their meaning in a substantial way over time, and the word gay, in your whole short lifetime so far, has been used to represent people who have a same-sex attraction. You knew that, and you'd have to be incredibly thick to use it to mean bad knowing this would be insulting, demeaning and derogatory. Like I said - you did it because you are a bully - those are not very nice people, and later on in life they often get their comeuppance.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Have you ever wondered how the word 'gay' came to mean 'homosexual' in the first place? (No it wasn't because homosexuals were always happy!)

Everyone knows that the word 'gay' used to mean 'happy and carefree'. Then this 'carefree' meaning was applied to sex. 'Gay' meant 'addicted to pleasures' or 'uninhibited by moral constraints', and was used with prostitutes or people who had lots of sex without being attached in a relationship.

So really, using the word 'gay' to mean 'homosexual' is offensive to homosexuals, as it implies they are promiscuous and engage in immoral, hedonistic non-serious and uncommitted sexual activity.
    Exactly. but over time it got accepted and the meaning totally changed to become non derogatory. now it is changing back. When I say "my car broke down , it's really gay" I am not thinking of homosexuality at all. just like when you say "Brixton is ghetto" you aren't thinking of Jews. Words can have multiple unrelated meanings.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by binkey)
    It's a form of homophobic abuse, and used in a bullying way. Unfortunately some youth are just incredibly dumb, insecure about themselves, and insensitive to others. Occasionally they came out with some great stuff, but sometimes a few come out with such crap it's difficult to believe they learned to even walk upright, even less believable that they made it to university. Other should-know-better children then copy it, thinking they're cool, when actually they appear brainless, and cause harm to other people by using it negatively.

I wonder if any of those people who use it will have the balls to take responsibility for their part, the part they've undoubtedly played, in some LGBT teen suicides. There have been lots in the US, and a number here too.

Perhaps you should watch this and think about how it would be if we changed that word to Wave ..... that's so f---ing Wave, that is, utterly bad.

How would you feel if we all started saying that? I wonder if we should have a day worldwide where we choose a word and then demean it, and everyone associated with it. What will it be? That's so Muslim, That's so Catholic, That's so Christian, That's so Black, That's so White, That's so Female, That's so Male?

If you know it's used as an insult, which you clearly do, then you can only be using it because you must have been one of the school bullies who made other peoples lives a nightmare. So I'd say that you have a lot of making up to do for the harm you've caused - if you've used "gay" in that way.

Words don't often change their meaning in a substantial way over time, and the word gay, in your whole short lifetime so far, has been used to represent people who have a same-sex attraction. You knew that, and you'd have to be incredibly thick to use it to mean bad knowing this would be insulting, demeaning and derogatory. Like I said - you did it because you are a bully - those are not very nice people, and later on in life they often get their comeuppance.
    Nice try but Black does mean bad. It always has. Black magic, dark character etc. And Female also means bad. Pussy, little girl etc. In Harry Potter when Sirius Black was supposed to be evil he was always referred to as Black. But when they found out he was good he was always referred to as Sirius. Does that mean JK Rowling is a racist? People say "stop being such a girl" if someone is being cowardly. Are they sexist? The majority of people who say gay as in bad don't dislike gay people. Hell I've even heard some gay people saying it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wave)
    Exactly. but over time it got accepted and the meaning totally changed to become non derogatory. now it is changing back. When I say "my car broke down , it's really gay" I am not thinking of homosexuality at all. just like when you say "Brixton is ghetto" you aren't thinking of Jews. Words can have multiple unrelated meanings.
    The last known usage of gay to mean happy or carefree would have been before you were even a sperm swimming up your mummy's insides.

For your whole life it has mean someone with a same-sex attraction, a word (a noun or an adjective) that primarily refers to a homosexual person.

We can help if silly little bullies use it as a word to hate others. Young people are just so incredibly stupid some times. I mean, why don't we just change the word Female to mean antelope, or Chemistry to mean horses feet? :rolleyes:

Using gay to mean bad is wrong. You've acknowledge that you know what its correct meaning is, and you think that it's ok to use a term for a whole group of people to mean something bad. :rolleyes: As I said, you're being homophobic in using it that way - people see it that way, they know it's being used in a homophobic way - although you are clearly trying to say you're not homophobic.

Suppose we did say That's So Catholic to mean bad. Would that be ok for you? I mean you're an atheist aren't you? :confused:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's just a different meaning of the word gay. Lots of words have multiple meanings. No-one gets offended when I use the word spade:

"Pass the spade, I want to dig a hole"

"Gasp! You shocking racist."

The etymology of "cor blimey" came from "god blind me". So does it offend christians?

No, because thats not what people mean by it. Well, now apply the same argument to "gay".
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wave)
    Nice try but Black does mean bad. It always has. Black magic, dark character etc. And Female also means bad. Pussy, little girl etc. In Harry Potter when Sirius Black was supposed to be evil he was always referred to as Black. But when they found out he was good he was always referred to as Sirius. Does that mean JK Rowling is a racist? People say "stop being such a girl" if someone is being cowardly. Are they sexist? The majority of people who say gay as in bad don't dislike gay people. Hell I've even heard some gay people saying it.
    Now I know you're a troll. You've been on here less than a month, you've made almost 600 posts, got 2 negative reps, 9 warning points, you're account is heading for a bad, and you don't see that you've been rumbled? :rolleyes:

Sounds like you're a racist too. Black does not mean bad, neither does Female. Where on earth did you lean English - I can only assume you learn it from uncyclopedia or similar.

As regards Harry Potter, it is not uncommon for some people to refer to people by their last name. I'm quite sure JK Rowling isn't a racist, but equally sure you are.

If people are saying "stop being such a girl" they are being sexist. Whilst you might say it's just banter and not harmful, I'd disagree. It sends out the wrong message and if younger people see you doing that you're setting them up to fail just like you will.

Using gay to mean bad is homophobic, it is abusive and bullying -- and it doesn't matter in the slightest if you don't see that. You don't have to see something as wrong for it to be wrong. Suggesting the word Black means bad is just as derogatory.

If you had any idea of the harm your use of that word had you'd knock it on the head and find a better way to express yourself. What will it take for people like you to realise the harm you do to others, the bullying you do through just simply using words in a derogatory fashion.

I hope you don't have a younger brother or sister. How will you live with yourself if you find out later that they were gay, they had to suffer through this abusive behaviour of people constantly saying nasty things about them, that eventually they couldn't take it any more and topped themselves? How are you going to feel knowing you've contributed to this? Or perhaps it might a friend - who just can't tell you they're gay because they think you're homophobic, because of the way you use this word.

You have to take responsibility for your actions.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, if 'gay' becomes more and more used to mean 'bad' then surely that's just evolution of language, such as gay used to mean 'happy'. Fact is, political correctness is a moronic set of shackles on freedom which tries to artificially preserve a certain set of specific terms. If I want to use gay to mean bad I will. We can't have one set of rules for accepting something being changed to meaning homosexual and have another which stops language from changing further.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't it South Park that started off the use of 'gay' to mean lame?

As already mentioned, the meaning of words always changes over time. 'Queer' used to mean strange, then came to mean gay, and has now been very much claimed by the gay community (a bit like the 'n' word for some groups of black people). Words are just labels and come and go with the times - it's just the natural evolution of language and not something to get hung up on.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Now I know you're a troll. You've been on here less than a month, you've made almost 600 posts, got 2 negative reps, 9 warning points, you're account is heading for a bad, and you don't see that you've been rumbled? :rolleyes:

Sounds like you're a racist too. Black does not mean bad, neither does Female. Where on earth did you lean English - I can only assume you learn it from uncyclopedia or similar.

As regards Harry Potter, it is not uncommon for some people to refer to people by their last name. I'm quite sure JK Rowling isn't a racist, but equally sure you are.

If people are saying "stop being such a girl" they are being sexist. Whilst you might say it's just banter and not harmful, I'd disagree. It sends out the wrong message and if younger people see you doing that you're setting them up to fail just like you will.

Using gay to mean bad is homophobic, it is abusive and bullying -- and it doesn't matter in the slightest if you don't see that. You don't have to see something as wrong for it to be wrong. Suggesting the word Black means bad is just as derogatory.

If you had any idea of the harm your use of that word had you'd knock it on the head and find a better way to express yourself. What will it take for people like you to realise the harm you do to others, the bullying you do through just simply using words in a derogatory fashion.

I hope you don't have a younger brother or sister. How will you live with yourself if you find out later that they were gay, they had to suffer through this abusive behaviour of people constantly saying nasty things about them, that eventually they couldn't take it any more and topped themselves? How are you going to feel knowing you've contributed to this? Or perhaps it might a friend - who just can't tell you they're gay because they think you're homophobic, because of the way you use this word.

You have to take responsibility for your actions.
    I hate to say it, but troll or not, he's right and you're wrong.

Black means bad

Spoiler:
    Show

A black-hearted person is mean and unloving.
    A blacklist is a list of undesirable persons or entities (to be placed on the list is to be "blacklisted").
    Black comedy is a form of comedy dealing with morbid and serious topics.
    A black mark against a person relates to something bad they have done.
    A black mood is a bad one (cf Winston Churchill's clinical depression, which he called "my black dog").[4]
    Black market is used to denote the trade of illegal goods, or alternatively the illegal trade of otherwise legal items at considerably higher prices, e.g. to evade rationing.
    Black propaganda is the use of known falsehoods, partial truths, or masquerades in propaganda to confuse an opponent.
    Blackmail is the act of threatening someone to do something that would hurt them in some way, such as by revealing sensitive information about them, in order to force the threatened party to fulfill certain demands. Ordinarily, such a threat is illegal.
    The black sheep of the family is the ne'er-do-well.
    To blackball someone is to block their entry into a club or some such institution. In the traditional English gentlemen's club, members vote on the admission of a candidate by secretly placing a white or black ball in a hat. If upon the completion of voting, there was even one black ball amongst the white, the candidate would be denied membership, and he would never know who had "blackballed" him.

Left-handed means bad
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Historically, the left side, and subsequently left-handedness, was considered negative in many cultures. The Latin word sinistra originally meant "left" but took on meanings of "evil" or "unlucky" by the Classical Latin era, and this double meaning survives in European derivatives of Latin, and in the English word "sinister". Alternatively, sinister comes from the Latin word sinus meaning "pocket": a traditional Roman toga had only one pocket, located on the left side. The right hand has historically been associated with skill: the Latin word for right-handed is dexter, as in "dexterity", meaning manual skill. Even the word "ambidexterity" reflects the bias. Its intended meaning is "skillful on both sides". However, since it keeps the Latin root dexter, which means "right", it ends up conveying the idea of being "right-handed at both sides". This bias is also apparent in the lesser-known antonym "ambisinistrous", which means "clumsy on both sides".[8] In more technical contexts, "sinistral" may be used in place of "left-handed" and "sinistrality" in place of "left-handedness".[9]

Meanings gradually developed from use of these terms in the ancient languages. In many modern European languages, including English, the word for the direction "right" also means "correct" or "proper", and also stands for authority and justice. In most Slavic languages the root prav is used in words carrying meanings of correctness or justice.

The French word gauche ("left") means clumsy, graceless or awkward, and adroit (related to droit, "right") means "dextrous". These secondary meanings have entered English.

The Dutch expression "twee linkerhanden hebben" ("to have two left hands") indicates clumsiness.

In Chinese culture, the adjective "left" (Chinese: 左; pinyin: zuǒ) sometimes means "improper" or "out of accord". For instance, the phrase "left path" (Chinese: 左道; pinyin: zuǒdào) stands for unorthodox or immoral means.

In Portuguese, "direito" (right) stands for the doing something correctly as well as for Law School. The expression "acordar com o pé direito" (waking up on your right foot) means that the person woke up in a good mood, while "acordar com o pé esquerdo" (waking up on your left foot) means waking up in a bad mood.

In Hebrew, as well as in other ancient Semitic and Mesopotamian languages, the term "left" was a symbol of power or custody.[10] The left hand symbolized the power to shame society, and was used as a metaphor for misfortune, natural evil, or punishment from the gods. This metaphor survived ancient culture and was integrated into mainstream Christianity by early Catholic theologians, such as Ambrose of Milan,[11] to modern Protestant theologians, such as Karl Barth,[12] to attribute natural evil to God in explaining God's omnipotence over the universe.

When it is said that a person has slept on his left side in the Akan language of Ghana, it means the person is dead. The use of the left hand in everyday activities such as eating, cooking, writing and pointing are strongly discouraged. It is an insult to shake hands or greet a person with the left hand. It is also inappropriate to shake hands with a group of people beginning from the left side and any exchanges between people such as giving or receiving an item must be done with the right hand. The use of the left hand is however encouraged in handling unsanitary items such as a chamber pot and excreta.

There are many colloquial terms used to refer to a left-handed person, e.g. "southpaw" or "goofy" (USA). Some are just slang or jargon words, while other references may be offensive or demeaning, either in context or in origin. In some parts of the English-speaking world, "cack-handed" is slang for left-handed, and is also used to mean clumsy. The origin of this term is disputed, but some suggest it is derived from the Latin cacare, in reference to the habit of performing ablutions with the left hand, leaving the right hand "clean".[13][14] However, other sources suggest that it is derived from the Old Norse word keikr, meaning "bent backwards".[15] Some Australians use "cacky-handed". An alternative Australian slang word for a left-handed individual is the term Molly-Duker.[16]

Anything other than straight white, right handed, male already carries negatively linguistic undertones.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Don't go to the dark side, Luke"

"You damn RACIST, Leia!"
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to hurt anyone (and I don't use the word like that anyway), but I always understood it to be a kind of jokey term. I don't get offended when a boy says to another boy "you're such a girl" - neither are terms intended to cause serious offense, nor indeed terms generally used in an adult context at all.

I can imagine the **** gay people must have to put up with, so I do sympathise, but I genuinely don't think this is a term that is going anywhere serious.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Clothes are often described as gay. "That look is gay", "that fit is gay" etc it is derogatory but then to be called gay, homo, fag etc are all insults too. Being gay is not accepted in many cultures even within Britain despite what the mainstream media would have you believe: gang culture/organised crime, many sports, most religions, work places and certain industries and so on.

Using the word gay in a negative way will always be here as being gay itself is still not seen as a positive thing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I hate to say it, but troll or not, he's right and you're wrong.

Black means bad

Spoiler:
    Show

A black-hearted person is mean and unloving.
    A blacklist is a list of undesirable persons or entities (to be placed on the list is to be "blacklisted").
    Black comedy is a form of comedy dealing with morbid and serious topics.
    A black mark against a person relates to something bad they have done.
    A black mood is a bad one (cf Winston Churchill's clinical depression, which he called "my black dog").[4]
    Black market is used to denote the trade of illegal goods, or alternatively the illegal trade of otherwise legal items at considerably higher prices, e.g. to evade rationing.
    Black propaganda is the use of known falsehoods, partial truths, or masquerades in propaganda to confuse an opponent.
    Blackmail is the act of threatening someone to do something that would hurt them in some way, such as by revealing sensitive information about them, in order to force the threatened party to fulfill certain demands. Ordinarily, such a threat is illegal.
    The black sheep of the family is the ne'er-do-well.
    To blackball someone is to block their entry into a club or some such institution. In the traditional English gentlemen's club, members vote on the admission of a candidate by secretly placing a white or black ball in a hat. If upon the completion of voting, there was even one black ball amongst the white, the candidate would be denied membership, and he would never know who had "blackballed" him.

Left-handed means bad
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Historically, the left side, and subsequently left-handedness, was considered negative in many cultures. The Latin word sinistra originally meant "left" but took on meanings of "evil" or "unlucky" by the Classical Latin era, and this double meaning survives in European derivatives of Latin, and in the English word "sinister". Alternatively, sinister comes from the Latin word sinus meaning "pocket": a traditional Roman toga had only one pocket, located on the left side. The right hand has historically been associated with skill: the Latin word for right-handed is dexter, as in "dexterity", meaning manual skill. Even the word "ambidexterity" reflects the bias. Its intended meaning is "skillful on both sides". However, since it keeps the Latin root dexter, which means "right", it ends up conveying the idea of being "right-handed at both sides". This bias is also apparent in the lesser-known antonym "ambisinistrous", which means "clumsy on both sides".[8] In more technical contexts, "sinistral" may be used in place of "left-handed" and "sinistrality" in place of "left-handedness".[9]

Meanings gradually developed from use of these terms in the ancient languages. In many modern European languages, including English, the word for the direction "right" also means "correct" or "proper", and also stands for authority and justice. In most Slavic languages the root prav is used in words carrying meanings of correctness or justice.

The French word gauche ("left") means clumsy, graceless or awkward, and adroit (related to droit, "right") means "dextrous". These secondary meanings have entered English.

The Dutch expression "twee linkerhanden hebben" ("to have two left hands") indicates clumsiness.

In Chinese culture, the adjective "left" (Chinese: 左; pinyin: zuǒ) sometimes means "improper" or "out of accord". For instance, the phrase "left path" (Chinese: 左道; pinyin: zuǒdào) stands for unorthodox or immoral means.

In Portuguese, "direito" (right) stands for the doing something correctly as well as for Law School. The expression "acordar com o pé direito" (waking up on your right foot) means that the person woke up in a good mood, while "acordar com o pé esquerdo" (waking up on your left foot) means waking up in a bad mood.

In Hebrew, as well as in other ancient Semitic and Mesopotamian languages, the term "left" was a symbol of power or custody.[10] The left hand symbolized the power to shame society, and was used as a metaphor for misfortune, natural evil, or punishment from the gods. This metaphor survived ancient culture and was integrated into mainstream Christianity by early Catholic theologians, such as Ambrose of Milan,[11] to modern Protestant theologians, such as Karl Barth,[12] to attribute natural evil to God in explaining God's omnipotence over the universe.

When it is said that a person has slept on his left side in the Akan language of Ghana, it means the person is dead. The use of the left hand in everyday activities such as eating, cooking, writing and pointing are strongly discouraged. It is an insult to shake hands or greet a person with the left hand. It is also inappropriate to shake hands with a group of people beginning from the left side and any exchanges between people such as giving or receiving an item must be done with the right hand. The use of the left hand is however encouraged in handling unsanitary items such as a chamber pot and excreta.

There are many colloquial terms used to refer to a left-handed person, e.g. "southpaw" or "goofy" (USA). Some are just slang or jargon words, while other references may be offensive or demeaning, either in context or in origin. In some parts of the English-speaking world, "cack-handed" is slang for left-handed, and is also used to mean clumsy. The origin of this term is disputed, but some suggest it is derived from the Latin cacare, in reference to the habit of performing ablutions with the left hand, leaving the right hand "clean".[13][14] However, other sources suggest that it is derived from the Old Norse word keikr, meaning "bent backwards".[15] Some Australians use "cacky-handed". An alternative Australian slang word for a left-handed individual is the term Molly-Duker.[16]

Anything other than straight white, right handed, male already carries negatively linguistic undertones.
    As regards the use of 'black' most people are aware of its previous connotations, and very careful to avoid using it in a way which causes unintentional association with those past uses.

At the same time I use black when I mean the colour, black and white lists are simply computer terms - I make no association with skin colour.

I freely use it around people who are not white because most people that know me would never imagine me to be in any way racist. However, if people aren't sure about whether you're a racist or not, I can see how that might be uncomfortable for some.

It's just basic manners and shows respect for others when you are sensitive to peoples heritage and differences, and can clearly show your ability to work and get along with others without causing unnecessary friction and upset. Those are qualities you'll need in work, in later life, and if you don't have them .... your degree will be worth jack poo, as employers won't want someone who can't be sensitive to others.

Any suggestion that us left-handed people are in any way inferior will be met by me showing you what a punch in the face with my left-hook is like (joking)

Whether you favour your left or right hand, occurs during foetal development in the womb. I freely admit I didn't know that until a few years ago. So being left-handed is completely normal and it's only stupidity in the past that led to any negative association.
Updated: February 21, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.