The Student Room Group

Children are being 'failed on a grand scale'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bonged.
Could you name one possibility?

If coupled with the removal of being fined for expulsions, we wouldn't have the funding to provide education for the kids who should be expelled, and therefore they would be out and not left in the school to disrupt everyone else's education and bully people.
Great. Cannot even supply an example of when cuts would bring an improvement.

Read above.
Reply 82
Original post by LipstickKisses
Doubtful, they're pretty bad already, and I went to one in a good area. Cutting funding won't make much difference in my opinion.

Yes they do, and when they do, everyone has a go at people for 'demonising the working class' being 'snobby and elitist' and so on, but when you're mocking "middle class hipsters' no one says anything?! It's exactly the same.

And not really, I wear what I want, I don't care if other people in a similar situation wear it. If I like it I'll wear it, simple.

Presumably one in a worse area will have more problems then?

Can you explain the reasoning behind that opinion?

What are you doing right now?

I don't even care about their class, it's just amusing that they are well off yet choose to look ragged.

Cool. Just don't expect for people to respect your following the trend.
Reply 83
We need better teachers. Teaching has turned into one of those jobs that many go into if they don't get their first choice of career. [Eg, my physics teacher in school had wanted to be a pilot]. Instead we need people who are at the top of their game to be teaching the subjects.
We also need to make teaching easier, give teachers more freedom so that those who actually are decent teachers have the chance to express this.
Reply 84
If coupled with the removal of being fined for expulsions, we wouldn't have the funding to provide education for the kids who should be expelled, and therefore they would be out and not left in the school to disrupt everyone else's education and bully people.

Where do you presume these children would go?

One persons bully is anothers son.
Reply 85
Perhaps I'll move country if this caries on and join one which isn't a cesspit of chavs.

I've heard New Zealand is a nice place to live...
Reply 86

So the parents pay for the actions of the child? What happens when the parent cannot afford to pay the fine?
The child will go elsewhere and since he/she has not had to pay the fine will just do it again.
Original post by Bonged.
Presumably one in a worse area will have more problems then?

Can you explain the reasoning behind that opinion?

What are you doing right now?

I don't even care about their class, it's just amusing that they are well off yet choose to look ragged.

Cool. Just don't expect for people to respect your following the trend.

The problems are down to the people that go there and not the schools themselves. If they have problems it's because they have unruly kids in them. Behind which opinion specifically? I'm doing A levels. They don't look ragged though :lolwut: I've never seen a 'hipster' as you put it dressed in rags. I don't 'follow a trend', I wear whatever I want, whether it's worn by loads of people or just me. That's not following a trend, it's not giving a ****.
Reply 88
Original post by RobertWhite
Perhaps I'll move country if this caries on and join one which isn't a cesspit of chavs.

I've heard New Zealand is a nice place to live...

I think new zealand has similar or worse levels of poverty.
Original post by Besakt
So the parents pay for the actions of the child? What happens when the parent cannot afford to pay the fine?
The child will go elsewhere and since he/she has not had to pay the fine will just do it again.

What? You misread my post, as it stands schools are fined/have money removed when they expel a child. Not the parents. I was on about scrapping that.
Original post by Bonged.
Where do you presume these children would go?

One persons bully is anothers son.

Should have thought about that before they repeatedly disrupted others' education.
Original post by Besakt
Well? What improvements would cutting spending bring?
Spending cuts will only definitively lead to a reduction in teaching quality if the teaching methods remains the same. Scrapping of ineffective programs and initiatives, and reforms of teaching methods can reduce cost and improve results. Teaching has changed a lot from pure textbook and blackboard teaching in ability separated groups into dynamic teaching methods involving creativity, interactive whiteboards, and out of the class room learning in mixed ability sets. Yet standards have gone down, as this study is showing many kids can't master the basics. A return to the time where education was functional, rather than fun. Based around core principles at a primary level.

I refused to believe there is any causation between the investment in education and the ability of a child to read at a level expected of a 5 year old, and mastery of basic skills like counting and the alphabet. This is all done outside of the school, kids should be able to read, count, and have basic problem solving and social skills, without the aid of the state. This is a parental failure, not a educational one. Any evidence beyond that has to account for disadvantage you start with and the fact that what ever caused this remains throughout your education, the parenting and home life.
Reply 92
The problems are down to the people that go there and not the schools themselves. If they have problems it's because they have unruly kids in them. Behind which opinion specifically? I'm doing A levels. They don't look ragged though :lolwut: I've never seen a 'hipster' as you put it dressed in rags. I don't 'follow a trend', I wear whatever I want, whether it's worn by loads of people or just me. That's not following a trend, it's not giving a ****.

What to do with unruly kids?

How cutting funding to state schools would benefit the pupils there.

Yeah looking emaciated with skinny jeans, "ironic" plaid lumberjack shirts and purposefully badly styled hair. It is giving a ****. It's giving enough of a **** to note what everyone else around you is doing and copy it.
Reply 93
Should have thought about that before they repeatedly disrupted others' education.

They are children.

I presume you were bullied and now have a chip on your shoulder over it.
Reply 94

Is the child in the best position to look after his own future interests?
Reply 95
Original post by Bonged.
They are children.

Whether or not she was bullied is irrelevant, a child does not have the right to ruin another person's education. It's the principle.
Reply 96
Original post by doggyfizzel
Spending cuts will only definitively lead to a reduction in teaching quality if the teaching methods remains the same. Scrapping of ineffective programs and initiatives, and reforms of teaching methods can reduce cost and improve results. Teaching has changed a lot from pure textbook and blackboard teaching in ability separated groups into dynamic teaching methods involving creativity, interactive whiteboards, and out of the class room learning in mixed ability sets. Yet standards have gone down, as this study is showing many kids can't master the basics. A return to the time where education was functional, rather than fun. Based around core principles at a primary level.

I refused to believe there is any causation between the investment in education and the ability of a child to read at a level expected of a 5 year old, and mastery of basic skills like counting and the alphabet. This is all done outside of the school, kids should be able to read, count, and have basic problem solving and social skills, without the aid of the state. This is a parental failure, not a educational one. Any evidence beyond that has to account for disadvantage you start with and the fact that what ever caused this remains throughout your education, the parenting and home life.

Many parents themselves are uneducated. Alot of people are dyslexic.

Inb4 "well they're stupid chavs they should be deported etc."

The fact of the matter is that there are people like this due to the failures of consequetive governments.
Reply 97
Original post by Besakt
Is the child in the best position to look after his own future interests?

Is it really that difficult that a parent cannot take responsibility?
Original post by Bonged.
What to do with unruly kids?

How cutting funding to state schools would benefit the pupils there.

Yeah looking emaciated with skinny jeans, "ironic" plaid lumberjack shirts and purposefully badly styled hair. It is giving a ****. It's giving enough of a **** to note what everyone else around you is doing and copy it.

Punish them.

Make schools have to think carefully instead of spending it on stupid things, like decorating the toilets, which happened at my friend's school :facepalm:

No it isn't, have you ever considered people might just like to look like that? It's giving a **** if you do it because someone else is, but if you do it because you like it, then it isn't.

Original post by Bonged.
They are children.

Ad hominem again, my God you're good at these.
Reply 99
Original post by doggyfizzel

People learn differently some learn better in dynamic and creative environment other don't. Just because there is a correlation between change in teaching methods and standard of education it doesn't mean it is the cause.

Investment in education will lead to better equipment, better resources the institute would be able to branch out with different teaching methods and cater for the needs of different individuals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending