The Student Room Group

JOB asking for Bank Details..?

There is a job I want to apply its asking me to fill the application form including bank details, am not sure whether to go ahead or not. normally they ask to submit bank details after the interview. what do you think? I found the job in job centre website.
Reply 1
If all they want is an account number and sort code, there's no problem with that - they can only put money in with that information, and it's commonplace for people/companies to openly supply this information as part of settlement details.
Reply 2
Original post by Clip
If all they want is an account number and sort code, there's no problem with that - they can only put money in with that information, and it's commonplace for people/companies to openly supply this information as part of settlement details.

This.

They can't do any harm with those details. If you feel uneasy with it though, give the company a call and inquire. It's best not to get in to the habit of going ahead and doing things you aren't sure about when it comes to finances, even if we all reassure you that it's fine!
Reply 3
Thanx i'll give it a go its basically asking for Roll No. , Acc No. , & Sort code.
Original post by Clip

Incorrect, I actually spoke to manager of a Santandar branch and several employees and you can take money out.
Reply 5
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Incorrect, I actually spoke to manager of a Santandar branch and several employees and you can take money out.

Don't be an idiot.

You can get sort code and account number details freely almost anywhere. Most businesses will print their account details on their websites or invoices so that people can pay them electronically.

Ever written a cheque? You see those numbers at the bottom? What are they? Oh yes - it's your account number and sort code.

Here's the account number and sort code for EDF Energy, the utility supplier:

22083167 40-05-30

Go get yourself some money.
Original post by Clip
Don't be an idiot.

You can get sort code and account number details freely almost anywhere. Most businesses will print their account details on their websites or invoices so that people can pay them electronically.

Ever written a cheque? You see those numbers at the bottom? What are they? Oh yes - it's your account number and sort code.

22083167 40-05-30

I agree with you, but I'm still correct...

You have to have evidence and proof of the legality of taking the money and so on, I work in IT and I deal with accounts pretty much every-single-day.

You CAN take money out, chances are 100% of the time you'll fail. But their is gangs out their who research the systems in place and use the flaws at their advantage. But yes thanks for telling me everything I already knew!
Reply 7
Original post by Clip
Don't be an idiot.

22083167 40-05-30

i think i should use these to pay my debts off haha
Original post by clip
don't be an idiot.

here's the account number and sort code for edf energy, the utility supplier:

22083167 40-05-30

go get yourself some money.

you found the magic money tree!
*Reviving a dead thread here*I pondered this question and when looking into it, I have found many applications that ask for these details. The use of your sort code and account number is not solely used for paying you, it is also used to identify you. If you provide these details along with other crucial information like: Address, Sort Code, NI, email, phone numbers etc. someone can collate this information and impersonate you over the phone.So the comment by Clip is void, yes you found those details, but can you now pinpoint the director and correspondence address to these details are linked too? (probably not). I have even come across applications that straight up ask for shots of passports - definitely scams, never send your passport in any preliminary application. So it seems to be a bit of a grey area as I have come across legitimate company's practicing this, so the advice I can give is to really look into the company properly. Use company search, glassdoor and google to verify that the company exists, look at there website, does it appear to be poorly designed and optimized with persistent grammar, spelling and formatting mistakes? If they have 20 likes on FB, you cant find any directors, no trupstpilot or glassdoor record, no easily verifiable address, and have a overall shabby and unprofessional vibe from there marketing communications there is a good chance that applications asking for these sensitive details are phishing scams, so be careful. I personally find emailing a CV is the best and simplest way to apply and really wish most companies would employ this technique instead of making us fill out often long drawn out applications, muddying the water with these conundrums.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending