The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University TSR Open Week (February 20th to 24th)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by North Irelandman
Hi thanks for the quick response, the online open week idea is brilliant and hopefully a lot of people will benefit from it!

Anyway with the point in case, I have one offer for Economics (Study Abroad) which has alternate conditions of AAB to place me in the regular Economics course (without a year abroad). This is only one choice on UCAS and I was just wondering if I would be accepting to go to Lancaster if I achieved either of these grade sets, or if I would be allowed to go to my insurance if I miss out on AAA for whatever reason. I'm sure the tutors at the LUMS open day will be able to offer an insight, so don't worry if that query is a bit specific :tongue:

Whilst I hold Lancaster highly for it's study abroad course and (hopefully) great campus and area, do you have any comments about how employers see Lancaster University? I know it is a 'Top 10 UK Uni' of recent years, and LUMS is highly ranked also, but has this brought notably better job prospects for graduates in the finance / banking side of things? Just of particular interest to me whether I should consider investment banking a possibility.

Hi North Irelandman,

Lancaster is the top in the Northwest for graduate employability and last year 92% of our graduates went into a job or further study within 6 months of graduating; so we do very well! LUMS itself regularly hosts employment workshops and talks about topics such as covering letters, how to write a CV, and how to do well in graduate interviews. They also attract a wide range of graduate employers who come and offer talks, and the university hosts its own on-campus careers fair which can get you talking to the right people! Lancaster is what's known as a 'targeted university' for graduate employers. This means we're inundated with visits from top graduate employers such as PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Deloitte and Accenture who want to recruit our graduates.

To pick up from your other conversation with Fred, talking to the LUMS tutors sounds like the best idea.

All the best,
Sarah.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by Lancaster University
Hi Sockhead,

Thanks for being the first person to post a question on our thread! Our campus is pretty large, about 360 acres, but you can walk round it really quickly using our famous 'spine' walkway that runs from the top to the bottom. To find out more have a look at http://www.lancs.ac.uk/about-us/our-campus/

Or why not pay us a visit? See here for our next visit days: http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/visit-days-and-campus-tours/

All the best,

Fred

Thankyou very much for the fast response :smile:

Ill be sure to check out that link very soon! I am in fact attending the Media and communications open day later on in March - Huzzah!

Sorry to pester but one last question: What other kind of media opportunities are available at the uni? E.g. Student radio/TV/Newspaper ect
I never really considered Lancaster as one of my top 3 choices but it is starting to sound very very nice indeed

Thanks again
Alex
Original post by Sockhead
Thankyou very much for the fast response :smile:

Ill be sure to check out that link very soon! I am in fact attending the Media and communications open day later on in March - Huzzah!

Sorry to pester but one last question: What other kind of media opportunities are available at the uni? E.g. Student radio/TV/Newspaper ect
I never really considered Lancaster as one of my top 3 choices but it is starting to sound very very nice indeed

Thanks again
Alex

Hi Alex,

You're welcome and good to hear you might be now considering Lancaster!

To answer your question re: 'What other kind of media opportunities are available at the uni?' - there are loads. We have our own student newspaper SCAN run by the students' union and has a team of student journalists. It's a great paper and has won student journalism awards too. You can find out more about SCAN here:

http://scan.lusu.co.uk/

We also have our own student radio station Bailrigg FM:http://www.bailriggfm.co.uk/

And we've even got our own student run TV called LA1TV - you can view their latest programmes here: http://la1tv.lusu.co.uk/

All the best,

Fred
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Hello,

My question is regarding mature student access to your University. By Spring 2013 I will have a combination of GCSE’s, decent and relevant work experience and either a 2:1 or a 1st FD in Business Management.

Does your University allow students to come in and do the 3rd year of a degree, as in the top up period for Business Management?

Kind regards

Max
Reply 24
Hi

Just one question: If I was to choose Lancaster University as my firm offer, when is the first day I can 'book' or choose my accomodation on the campus?

Many thanks
Hi,

I've asked this question on a couple of lancaster threads on here before and no one has really answered it...

I've got an offer for German and Maths joint honours. I was wondering what sort of things are covered in langugae degrees in year 1 (esp german if you know...) The website and prospectus arent very detailed....

Also, whats the situation at the end of first year regarding on changing courses? I've heard its pretty easy...?

Thank you for your reply about accommodation! Just wondering if you know much about the Psychology in education course? like if you know anyone who does it and what they think of it? I think I've exhausted all the information about it on the web!
Hello,

My question is about study abroad. I didn't apply originally for Philosophy with a year abroad (is that even possible?) but I am now considering studying abroad. What are the options if you do Philosophy? Is it very competitive? What year do you go and for how long?
If I am able to do a full year abroad with my degree, how does it fit with my course? what does it cost, another £9,000? :P

Sorry for all the questions, really have no clue about the study abroad options!

Thank you!
Reply 28
To Lancaster's Rep,

Was wondering if at the moment you have any students enrolled from the Caribbean?

Also, given that you do not offer a Bachelor's in International Business, what would you recommend is the next best option?

Thank you.
How is the teaching quality of MA-tefl? Is there any rank about it?Is there any possibility to take management as minor subject while I study tefl? If there is, will I get a monor certification or a degree when I finish it?
Original post by mrlucas
Hello,

My question is regarding mature student access to your University. By Spring 2013 I will have a combination of GCSE’s, decent and relevant work experience and either a 2:1 or a 1st FD in Business Management.

Does your University allow students to come in and do the 3rd year of a degree, as in the top up period for Business Management?

Kind regards

Max

Hi Max,

Thanks for your question and for sharing your qualifications. Good to know too you might be thinking of transfering to Lancaster. I'm not sure what the 'official party-line' is on your question so can I suggest you contact Mr Bob Brown in our admissions office - 01524 65201. He will be able to give you more information and let you know what our processess and policies are regarding transfering.

Good luck and all the best!

Fred
Original post by Elliott123
Hi

Just one question: If I was to choose Lancaster University as my firm offer, when is the first day I can 'book' or choose my accomodation on the campus?

Many thanks

Hi Elliot123,

If you choose Lancaster as your firm choice - which we hope you do - you can apply for accommodation on campus from June. Once our application site opens in June we will send you an email, inviting you to create an account, and then apply for college membership and accommodation.

We endeavour to place every student in one of the two colleges they are asked to choose when they apply, though this is not always possible. We also take into account the type of accommodation you are applying for in deciding which is best for you.

For more information have a look at our accommodation pages here: http://www.lancs.ac.uk/sbs/accommodation/undergraduate.html

Good luck with your exams and hope to see you at Lancaster!

All the best,

Fred
Original post by BeccaCath94
Hi,

I've asked this question on a couple of lancaster threads on here before and no one has really answered it...

I've got an offer for German and Maths joint honours. I was wondering what sort of things are covered in langugae degrees in year 1 (esp german if you know...) The website and prospectus arent very detailed....

Also, whats the situation at the end of first year regarding on changing courses? I've heard its pretty easy...?

Hi BeccaCath94,

Thanks for your questions and well done on getting an offer from us for German and Maths!

To answer your first question re: more info about the course modules - to be honest I'm not the best person as I don't teach on either of those programmes. However if you want to find out more about German - you could contact the Admissions Tutor Olga Gomez Cash Tel: +44 (0)1524 592468
or email the department on [email protected]. There is some module information here too for German:
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/german-studies-ba-hons-r220/

For Maths the best person to speak to would be Dr Alex Belton who is the Admissions Tutor - contact details and more info here:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/mathematics-bsc-hons-msci-hons-g100/

With regards to changing courses at the end of your first year - you're right - often you can switch, depending on space and your performance in your courses over the first year. If and when you get to us, have a go at your courses and then if you are unhappy or want to change you can always speak to your departments for more help etc.

Hope this gives you a few pointers!

All the best,

Fred
Original post by villagegirl
Thank you for your reply about accommodation! Just wondering if you know much about the Psychology in education course? like if you know anyone who does it and what they think of it? I think I've exhausted all the information about it on the web!

Hello Villagegirl,

For more information on our Psychology in Education degree you are best speaking with our Admissions Team. You can contact them on [email protected] or 01524 592028.

Thank you.

All the best

Leanne
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lampshade1
Hello,

My question is about study abroad. I didn't apply originally for Philosophy with a year abroad (is that even possible?) but I am now considering studying abroad. What are the options if you do Philosophy? Is it very competitive? What year do you go and for how long?
If I am able to do a full year abroad with my degree, how does it fit with my course? what does it cost, another £9,000? :P

Sorry for all the questions, really have no clue about the study abroad options!

Thank you!

Hello Lampshade1,

Thank you for your question.

It is possible to do study abroad with Philosophy and you would apply to do this during your first year. Philosophy students in the past have been to America, Canada, Australia and Hong Kong. These students spend the second year of their degree on study abroad and then return to Lancaster for their third and final year. There may also be opportunities to study in Europe for either a year or a semester during your second or third year.

With regards to costs, our study abroad year is part of your 3 year degree rather than an additional year and information regarding costs will soon be published on our website. If you decide to do a study abroad year you will still be entitled to the full range of financial support from Student Finance England.

We have a study abroad resource area in our library which you would be able to access when you arrive, which has all the latest information you need and our International Office will be holding study abroad talks in the November of your first year, so keep an eye out for these.

If you would like any further information please do contact the study abroad team on 01524 592037.

Thank you

All the best

Leanne
Original post by naturzen
To Lancaster's Rep,

Was wondering if at the moment you have any students enrolled from the Caribbean?

Also, given that you do not offer a Bachelor's in International Business, what would you recommend is the next best option?

Thank you.

Hello Naturzen,

Thank you for your questions.

We do have a number of students enrolled at Lancaster from the Caribbean and the Students' Union also has an African Caribbean Society. You can join their facebook group at www.facebook.com/lancaster.acs?sk=wall and if you wish to be added to their mailing list please email [email protected]

It is possible to study International Business as part of our Business Studies degree (UCAS code: N102/N103), our Business Economics degree (UCAS code: L100/L101) and our BBA Management Degrees (UCAS code: N200/N201).
More information about these courses can be found on the website http://www.lums.lancs.ac.uk/undergraduate/

I hope this answers your questions.

Thank you.

All the best,

Leanne
I have an offer for English Literature and Linguistics, and I am most likely firming Lancaster, after visiting and really liking it.

I have a few questions:
I have been offered an academic scholarship if I get A*AA (My predicted grades are AAA). This isn’t means tested is it?
Secondly, how should I decide which college to apply for? I’d like to be in a smaller college with Ensuite accommodation but I’m not sure where to start… :s-smilie:
Do the university have an orchestra? I’ve been a musician since I was 4, so I really would like to be able to continue with this whilst I am at university.
And do you get the opportunity to learn another language or even sign language whilst at the university? I am very interested in learning sign language.
And finally, how long does is take to get to Morecambe?

Sorry for all the questions!
Original post by Sisi on the way
How is the teaching quality of MA-tefl? Is there any rank about it?Is there any possibility to take management as minor subject while I study tefl? If there is, will I get a monor certification or a degree when I finish it?

Hello Sisi on the way,

Thank you for your question about our MA in Teaching English as a Foreign Language degree. Our course is world renowned for excellence. Students studying for the MA in TEFL are required to take all their modules from within the department. As such you would be unable to take Management as a minor subject alongside your MA-TEFL degree.

The department's website has all the information you will need about this course including information on the course aims and structure as well as student testimonials. You can visit the website at http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/study/masters/tefl.php#overview

I hope this answers your question.

Thank you.

All the best,

Leanne
How far is lancaster train station to the uni? Is it close enough to be within walking distance?
Hi,
I have applied for the course Finance and Economics and received the decision that my application has been unsuccessful. Currently I am doing A Level and my predicted grades are AAA (the entry requirement is AAB). This rejection does not make sense to me because there is no detailed reason. I wish to ask for a feedback and appeal against the decision. I have received the decision last Friday and sent an email to the undergraduate admission manager but I have not received any reply yet.
I want to ask is it possible to ask for a reconsideration and is there any similar situation that is successful? And what should I do now (should I call the manager directly or wait for her reply?).
Many thanks,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending