Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hinduism- Pros and Cons

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sachinisgod)
    pure? LOL i think its far from that.. miles away. Politicians in india are one of the most corrupt in the world and mark my words, politicians will never allow this issue to die.
    I didn't mean pure in that sense lol, it was just a word I use to emphasize on the word after it (in terms of a saying). By no means do I think Indian politicians are pure, I think every Indian knows that lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veeeeveee)
    The act should be selfless and pure not money driven.
    Exactly, Karma Yoga or sefless service without expectations of rewards is one of main messages of hinduims-Sanatan Dharma:

http://www.santosha.com/philosophy/gita-chapter3.html
    Therefore, always perform your duty efficiently
    and without attachment to the results,
    because by doing work without attachment one attains the Supreme.

King Janaka and others attained perfection
    by Karma-yoga alone.
    You should perform your duty with a view to guide people
    and for the universal welfare (of the society).

Some Indians wouldn't dare to marry outside of their caste simply because of what aunts and uncles would think at family gatherings or function
    Yes, the 'peoples' disease. It is for us to reject this social evil and move on. Scriptures give no sanction to this caste poo poo. One caste : Human
    Who cares what patels, kumars or sharmas think, irrelevant, one of symptoms of this caste nonsense, always worried what others may think, worried over what status maybe affected, worried who will get invited to what not, leave it, be at peace.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm a Hindu and I personally detest the caste system. And I find some of the folk tales to be an exaggeration of the caste system.

But I love the teachings. They're very enlightening and in a way peaceful...I guess.

I guess it's not the religion that have it's pros and cons. It's the people who made it seems like there is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quotes by famous people after reading Bhagavad Gita:

The Bhagavad-Gita is the most systematic statement of spiritual evolution of endowing value to mankind. It is one of the most clear and comprehensive summaries of perennial philosophy ever revealed; hence its enduring value is subject not only to India but to all of humanity."
    — Aldous Huxley
    tags: bhagavad-gita, hinduism, spiritual 3 people liked it add this quote to my profile

"In the morning I bathe my intellect in the stupendous and cosmogonal philosophy of the Bhagavad-Gita, in comparison with which our modern world and its literature seems puny and trivial."
    — Henry David Thoreau
    tags: bhagavad-gita, hinduism, spiritual 3 people liked it add this quote to my profile

"In order to approach a creation as sublime as the Bhagavad-Gita with full understanding it is necessary to attune our soul to it."
    — Rudolf Steiner
    tags: bhagavad-gita, hinduism, spiritual 2 people liked it add this quote to my profile

When I read the Bhagavad Gita and reflect about how God created this universe everything else seems so superfluous.

-- Albert Einstein (One of the most influential scientists of all time)

Mahatma Gandhi Quotes on Bhagavad Gita

When doubts haunt me, when disappointments stare me in the face, and I see not one ray of hope on the horizon, I turn to Bhagavad-gita and find a verse to comfort me; and I immediately begin to smile in the midst of overwhelming sorrow. Those who meditate on the Gita will derive fresh joy and new meanings from it every day.

-- Mahatma Gandhi (Spiritual/Political Leader of India; officially honoured in India as the Father of the Nation)

Dr. Albert Schweitzer Sayings on Bhagavad Gita

The Bhagavad Gita has a profound influence on the spirit of mankind by its devotion to God which is manifested by actions.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer [Famous Alsatian German-French theologian, philosopher, physician, and musician.]

Carl Jung Quotation on Bhagavad-Gita

The idea that man is like unto an inverted tree seems to have been current in by gone ages. The link with Vedic conceptions is provided by Plato in his Timaeus in which it states behold we are not an earthly but a heavenly plant. This correlation can be discerned by what Krishna expresses in chapter 15 of Bhagavad-Gita.

-- Carl Gustav Jung
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Annie Besant, INC presdident, and great knowledge about Hinduism:
    http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Annie_Besant
    Arguably, Besant gave to Hinduism almost as much as she received from it, and is remembered as having had a genuine, warm love of India and India's spiritual heritage, stating:
    After a study of some 40 years and more of the great religions of the world, I find none so perfect, none so scientific, none so philosophic, and none so spiritual, as the great religion known by the name of Hinduism.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogra)
    Annie Besant, INC presdident, and great knowledge about Hinduism:
    http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Annie_Besant
    all true
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The word Caste and its original application is not even a Hindu concept. It is Portuguese and was applied to all the variety of peoples the colonial rulers produced when they "Boinked" women of different races that they ruled over. They came up with a rather large number of names for the various hybrid ethnic peoples they sired.

The Hindu concept is Varna, which is the essentially an explanation for how society works and that it is made up of Four basic groups. There is no concept of untouchability in the Vedas. That was a later negative societal development. Hinduism expanded and was adopted by different peoples right across from central, south and South East Asia as far as the Phillippine islands around 2000 years ago and no idea of untouchability existed in those populations.

Varna is also not meant to be rigidly defined by birth. The Vedic Purusha Sukta or the cosmic man symbolises a functioning organised society. Nowhere does it state that one has to be born a Brahmin, Kshatriya, Vaisya or Sudra. The Bhagavad Gita goes on to explain that ones nature determines ones varna.

Still entrenchment of caste has become a thorn and embedded into society. It comes down to ownership and power over people and material wealth. It is also become blurred into tribes and clans.

My family are largely Sikh Tarkhans/Dakhans. Tarkhan was orginally a title of Scythian generals and when over a thousand years or so ago our "tribe" entered and settled in India the Tarkhan not following Vedic ways of living were relagated to being fallen Kshatriyas. They were not accepted into the existing Kshatriya clans and down the chain ended up being artisans.

In the 18th century a Tibeto-mongolian tribe staddling the borders of India and Myanmar converted into the Hinduism and became known as being Kshatriyas. They are the Meities of Manipur.

Even in its entrenchment it is not so rigid as some would have you believe.

Fight against corrupt caste practices is ancient it is not the product of any outside force. The Bhaki movements within Hinduism began in South India amongst the Alvars back in the 8th century.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh and for you naughty boys fighting over murti worship.

You should know that the concept of Brahman being both Nirguna and Saguna right? Despite what a certain Zakir Naik has had his beloved followers post around the likes of Youtube the original verse in the Yajur Veda states:

"9. Deep into shade of blinding gloom fall Asambhûti's
    worshippers.
    They sink to darkness deeper yet who on Sambhûti are
    intent.

10 One fruit, they say, from Sambhava, another from Asambhava.
    Thus from the sages have we heard who have declared this
    lore to us.

11 The man who knows Sambhûti and Vinâsa simultaneously,
    He, by Vinâsa passing death, gains by Sambhûti endless life"

So while sNaik and friends deviously only quote out of context i.e Into darkness fall those who worship Sambhuti (created things). The verse actually says those who worship Asambhuti or Sambhuti alone are lost.

One does not have to worship through Murtis, but it is considered bonafide form of worship. It is not the worship of objects, but objects that are used as an aide for meditating on God.

Even words are material, limited, imperfect tools through which to worship. Yet you dont hear many people fighting over that.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Darji)
    Oh and for you naughty boys fighting over murti worship.

You should know that the concept of Brahman being both Nirguna and Saguna right? Despite what a certain Zakir Naik has had his beloved followers post around the likes of Youtube the original verse in the Yajur Veda states:

"9. Deep into shade of blinding gloom fall Asambhûti's
    worshippers.
    They sink to darkness deeper yet who on Sambhûti are
    intent.

10 One fruit, they say, from Sambhava, another from Asambhava.
    Thus from the sages have we heard who have declared this
    lore to us.

11 The man who knows Sambhûti and Vinâsa simultaneously,
    He, by Vinâsa passing death, gains by Sambhûti endless life"

So while sNaik and friends deviously only quote out of context i.e Into darkness fall those who worship Sambhuti (created things). The verse actually says those who worship Asambhuti or Sambhuti alone are lost.

One does not have to worship through Murtis, but it is considered bonafide form of worship. It is not the worship of objects, but objects that are used as an aide for meditating on God.

Even words are material, limited, imperfect tools through which to worship. Yet you dont hear many people fighting over that.
    Zakir Naik is a potential terrorist. What right does he have to comment on our religion.

Absolutley spot on with the other bit. U dont need murtis to worship or pray. Its just a tool for maybe a large gathering to focus their attention to. Thats how i put it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Zakir Naik is a potential terrorist. What right does he have to comment on our religion.

Absolutley spot on with the other bit. U dont need murtis to worship or pray. Its just a tool for maybe a large gathering to focus their attention to. Thats how i put it.
    He probably knows more about ur faith then you do, I could just argue what rights do you have to comment on islam on the various tsr threads. Your books ban idols yet you still do it because you have bought up thinking it is right.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Study)
    He probably knows more about ur faith then you do, I could just argue what rights do you have to comment on islam on the various tsr threads. Your books ban idols yet you still do it because you have bought up thinking it is right.
    Oh really? Nice one.

Btw im not commenting about ur scriptures or verses. Im just telling facts which i have seen with my own eyes. Current affairs etc

Have you read our books? To us its a choice whether someone wants to use statues or not. Its no one else business what an individual does. We are also not supposed to eat beef. But if someone does no angry mob is going to be outside his house ready to kill him becuase he is going against the religion.

Living in Saudi arabia for 5 years and experiencing the worst kind of discrmination by muslims, i think i have more right than you to comment.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? Nice one.

Btw im not commenting about ur scriptures or verses. Im just telling facts which i have seen with my own eyes. Current affairs etc

Have you read our books? To us its a choice whether someone wants to use statues or not. Its no one else business what an individual does. We are also not supposed to eat beef. But if someone does no angry mob is going to be outside his house ready to kill him becuase he is going against the religion.

Living in Saudi arabia for 5 years and experiencing the worst kind of discrmination by muslims, i think i have more right than you to comment.
    Some muslim village in india got attacked after eid, few people died, because the hindus thought they had killed cows.1-2 years ago. Seen that on t.v. And no you have no right over me to comment, nothing gives you that special "status", if they discriminate against you then stop moaning and move. You can judge the saudis but you can't judge all muslims by looking at them.
    Just as i can't judge all hindus on that attack.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Study)
    Some muslim village in india got attacked after eid, few people died, because the hindus thought they had killed cows.1-2 years ago. Seen that on t.v. And no you have no right over me to comment, nothing gives you that special "status", if they discriminate against you then stop moaning and move. You can judge the saudis but you can't judge all muslims by looking at them.
    Just as i can't judge all hindus on that attack.
    So thats the solution now is it? Just get over it and move. Dont u think that it could be applied to muslims in this country when they complain that they dont like it here etc etc? They could move as well right?

Now you'll say they are british and I say fine, they can emigrate right? Thats a choice. U see u are lucky u dont see the kind of discrimination personally to u, like i have faced. U have the right to worship, free speech etc. Thats why you gave me a very simple solution.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    So thats the solution now is it? Just get over it and move. Dont u think that it could be applied to muslims in this country when they complain that they dont like it here etc etc? They could move as well right?

Now you'll say they are british and I say fine, they can emigrate right? Thats a choice. U see u are lucky u dont see the kind of discrimination personally to u, like i have faced. U have the right to worship, free speech etc. Thats why you gave me a very simple solution.
    Yep it could, I've said it b4 in class.
    Personally other then religious rights in saudi, i doubt I'd be treated then you, since I'm a non arab muslim.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sir Darji, some good points, as regards Nirguna and Saguna learned Agniveer states:
    http://agniveer.com/2708/vedic-god/

Is Ishwar Saguna or Nirguna?

A: Both. Ishwar is Saguna if you refer to properties like Kindness, Just, Creator, Maintainer etc. But He is Nirguna, if you refer to properties that He does not possess – like dumbness, senselessness, anger, cheating, birth, death etc. Its only a semantic difference.
    God, whatever name, is formless, hence there is no idol worship in scriptures, it has been introduced by a number of pandits, this does not mean condemnation, as everyone is entitled to their free worship, just that the verses have been reduced in importance, as temples should contain divine verses, they should be clear, as they contain the important messages and not idols ,which just give form to the formless.
    Zaik Naik has his own agenda, as is well known
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogra)
    Sir Darji, some good points, as regards Nirguna and Saguna learned Agniveer states:
    http://agniveer.com/2708/vedic-god/

God, whatever name, is formless, hence there is no idol worship in scriptures, it has been introduced by a number of pandits, this does not mean condemnation, as everyone is entitled to their free worship, just that the verses have been reduced in importance, as temples should contain divine verses, they should be clear, as they contain the important messages and not idols ,which just give form to the formless.
    Zaik Naik has his own agenda, as is well known
    Thank you man, atleast u finally agree.

We should be togther rather than having arguements between ourselves. Im sure u have heard the proverb. ' Strength in numbers'

yup Zakir Naik.. dont know where to start with him. All i can say, he is a massive d**k
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Study)
    They do not "ban" the use of Murtis at all.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you man, atleast u finally agree.

We should be togther rather than having arguements between ourselves. Im sure u have heard the proverb. ' Strength in numbers'

yup Zakir Naik.. dont know where to start with him. All i can say, he is a massive d**k
    Because he knows more about your religion then you and proves you wrong? Does that make him a "Dick"?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Study)
    Because he knows more about your religion then you and proves you wrong? Does that make him a "Dick"?
    well.. telling muslims that hindus drink cow piss doesnt mean that he knows more about the religion. :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you know about Sachin's knowledge of Hinduism to make such a comment? You would have to have better knowledge about Hinduism to even verify such a comment.

Zakir Naik has made numerous erroneous comments about Hindu religion and that is being polite. The world does not revolve around his orchestrated theartres. The information is out there and some of his claims are simply foolish.

He is a doctor of medicine and not a scholar of Hinduism.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 7, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.