Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cheap but good powder/foundation/mascara?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I've decided I should stop spending so much money on mac/benefit

Can someone recommend a good but cheap powder, foundation and mascara?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Buy Elle magazine this issue and you get a free full-size Soap & Glory mascara. Not sure if it's any good but S&G stuff is generally not bad and it's worth a try for the price of a mag.
    • 146 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely try the Soap And Glory.

Personally I find Rimmel's Matte Powder if really good and their mascaras decent.

Makeup wise I've got Rimmel's but rarely wear foundation as prefer to just use powder and concealer.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you are after cheap, maybe test out the MUA range in Superdrug. I've tried a few things and I love it so far. Many things are £1. I might try one of their mascaras soon so I can let you know how it goes.

Otherwise I used to buy a lot of Rimmel make up and that was quite good.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rimmels new 'wake up' foundation or whatever its called with the orange lid is realllly nice. I tried some the other day and its new so it'll be on offer everywhere at the moment! worth sampling if you're passing by a boots!
    I think the same about mascara - just have a look at some in boots and see which ones are new and so on offer and give them a go! That's how I came across Maybelline's Cat Eyes mascara which worked realllly well for me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadsnail)
    Okay so I've decided I should stop spending so much money on mac/benefit

Can someone recommend a good but cheap powder, foundation and mascara?
    My favourite mascara is maxfactor false lash effect!
    What is your skin type- dry? oily? Also what kind of coverage do you need- do you have a lot of scars or do you just need to even skin tone? Do you like more of dewy or a matte finish and do you need a long wearing foundation? These questions will all depend on whats the best foundation or powder for you. The cheapest foundation that I can think of that I like is bourjois healthy skin foundation, if you have more oily skin/need more coverage revlon colour stay is good to.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccy.)
    Rimmels new 'wake up' foundation or whatever its called with the orange lid is realllly nice. I tried some the other day and its new so it'll be on offer everywhere at the moment! worth sampling if you're passing by a boots!
    I think the same about mascara - just have a look at some in boots and see which ones are new and so on offer and give them a go! That's how I came across Maybelline's Cat Eyes mascara which worked realllly well for me
    Thats a nice foundation but i wouldn't recommend it to someone who has oily skin or has a lot of imperfections because when that foundation tries down it has shimmer in it! Will make oil skin look very shinny and draw attention to any spots.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bourjois healthy mix foundation is very good, also I really like the Rimmel Day2Night mascara!
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go cheap on Powder and Mascara if you want, I use Maybelline Great Lash mascara and Natural Collection powder.

But don't go cheap on foundation, it isn't worth it. Not only for the impact on your skin (cheap foundation is cheap for a reason) but also the quality of it really does make it worth it, cheap foundation matches your skin colour and texture poorly, doesn't apply as well and doesn't last as well. Plus they bottles or whatever don't usually hold that much and you have to replace them often, so they're not really good value for money.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    Natural Collection concealer isn't too bad.
    I use Number 7 Mascara which is good.
    Rimmel foundation is nice too, and so is their powder
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about cheap mascara/foundation, but Natural Collection in Boots do a nice powder for £1.99, and their blusher is gorgeous too
    • 14 followers

(Original post by Ebolarama)
    My favourite mascara is maxfactor false lash effect!
    Mine too, I don't think I could ever move on to a different one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dream Mascara ladies..
    http://www.rimmellondon.com/us/en/pr...h-scandaleyes/

And then this foundation is my favourite atm:
    http://www.boots.com/en/Maybelline-D...ndation_16064/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    which foundation would be good for me?I am willing to spend about £10
    I have oily/combination skin an oily T-Zone and cheeks which mean that i have a lot of spots in my t-zone and have multiple scars on my cheeks. I need a foundation that will cover these and maybe the oil production Also what is the difference between foundation and tinted moisturiser and which is best for my skin and could you recommend one please?
    as you an tell i am a make-up noob :grouphugs::woo:
    • 146 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamnothuman)
    I have oily/combination skin an oily T-Zone and cheeks which mean that i have a lot of spots in my t-zone and have multiple scars on my cheeks. I need a foundation that will cover these and maybe the oil production Also what is the difference between foundation and tinted moisturiser and which is best for my skin and could you recommend one please?
    You want a matte-ifying foundation, preferably mineral so it doesn't aggravate your spots and always make sure to remove it at end of day. Also I would use a powder to help with the oilyness. I use Rimmel Match Perfection powder :yep:

Foundation covers more than tinted moisturiser which works better if you have good skin and want a light coverage. I would suggest you need a foundation.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot can you recomment a foundation for me? Please bear in mind i am kinda close to her colour skin Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRmkueXRpbWcuY29tJTJGdmklMkZUOWJHdEFBUUFhayUyRmRlZmF1bHQuanBnJTNGdmVyJTNEMg==.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	132421 Thanks for your help:awesome::awesome:
    • 146 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot can you recomment a foundation for me? Please bear in mind i am kinda close to her colour skin Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRmkueXRpbWcuY29tJTJGdmklMkZUOWJHdEFBUUFhayUyRmRlZmF1bHQuanBnJTNGdmVyJTNEMg==.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	132421 Thanks for your help:awesome::awesome:
    I don't really know what works for that skin tone best... I would recommend looking on boots/superdrug website and seeing what's available in a shade that looks quite similar then google it and see bloggers reviews of it because they are super useful!

Hazarding a guess Maybelline's Dream Matte Mousse might work quite well for you :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Collection 2000 Mascara is usually pretty good ... never had a problem with it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would say Revlon colour stay. It has medium buildable coverage and good staying power, also get a powder to top it off to control shine and to set the foundation so it last longer.
    The only difference between a tinted moisturiser and a foundation is the amount of pigment in each product, a tinted moisturiser is literally a moisturiser with a small amount of foundation pigment in (you can make your own at home if you have a spare pot, some moisturiser and some foundation) its meant for people that have quite good skin that just need some evening out, i wouldn't recommend if you have a lot of scars/acne. You may need a separate concealer to fully cover spots/ scars MAC studio finish or collection 2000 lasting finish are good with full coverage.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebolarama)
    I would say Revlon colour stay. It has medium buildable coverage and good staying power, also get a powder to top it off to control shine and to set the foundation so it last longer.
    The only difference between a tinted moisturiser and a foundation is the amount of pigment in each product, a tinted moisturiser is literally a moisturiser with a small amount of foundation pigment in (you can make your own at home if you have a spare pot, some moisturiser and some foundation) its meant for people that have quite good skin that just need some evening out, i wouldn't recommend if you have a lot of scars/acne. You may need a separate concealer to fully cover spots/ scars MAC studio finish or collection 2000 lasting finish are good with full coverage.
    Thanks !!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 7, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.