Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Is the term 'oriental' offensive/racist?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was hanging out with some East Asian friends. Someone asked one of the girls of she was 'oriental' because she doesn't look it. She gave them a weird look as said I'm Asian. I asked her what happened and she started ranting about how offensive it is etc.

I'm half Thai and half Somali so people are always questioning my ethnicity but I didn't know 'oriental' could be offensive. I say it quite a lot myself because when I say Asian people often assume I'm south Asian - that's probably because I grew up in a place where everyone was south Asian.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your friend is stupid
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick1sHere)
    Your friend is stupid
    +1
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not offensive at all in the UK. In America it's rarely used - they call them 'asian' instead.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't you get oriental duck? Apparently it's quite tasty :sexface:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why is it offensive in America?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's not a commonly used word in the UK. Yet I've always thought that there are some people that find it offensive, but others who don't. It depends on who you're speaking to I suppose.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's not offensive/racist, but I heard it's politically incorrect... :dontknow:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A little insider information from an Eastern Asian: if she was born in Eastern Asia, she probably dislikes your skin colour hence the ranting...
    • 61 followers

ReputationRep:
    i have been to an oriental buffet
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not offensive. :facepalm2:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    i have been to an oriental buffet
    :sexface:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssh19931111)
    A little insider information from an Eastern Asian: if she was born in Eastern Asia, she probably dislikes your skin colour hence the ranting...
    It was a old white woman that asked her about her ethnicity on the bus, not me.
    Why would she have anything against my skin colour? Do you even know what my skin colour is like? I could pass for being fully Asian mate. She is definitely not a racist - she has a mixed race boyf mate and black friends.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know people generally refer people from the far east as oriental... but forgive me for my ignorance (and maybe someone can back me up or show me evidence suggesting otherwise...) but weren't those from Persia/Babylonians originally referred to as orientals?

To the OP: I don't see why it would be offensive.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    In the USA and other countries yes, not in the UK.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never thought saying oriental was offensive and only questioning it now after reading this thread.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. :facepalm:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Oriental" makes me think of sex involving kinky things.

<Waits for the reply to get censored>
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have heard sometimes it is considered offensive, but I have never considered it so and in the UK it isn't usually thought to be so. More often found offensive in the US or Canada, when applied to a person as in ' he is an oriental'

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 19, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.