Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know how to cope with this..

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think my dog, my best friend, is dying. He's almost 16 now and arthritis has kicked in. He isn't eating and he has become very skinny. He hasn't eaten properly for 3 days now.
    We are taking him to the vets tomorrow, and to be honest, I think it may be his last day..

I don't know what to do, I don't know how to cope without my buddy. The saddness in his eyes and the thought of him gone makes me so upset I just break down in tears.
    I don't know if this post is appropriate or even what i want to say anymore.. I just want someone to understand and tell me I'm not crazy for hurting this much over a dog.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i felt the same way about my cat, it's ok, you'll eventually get over it once you realised you did him a favour because he was suffering.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It must really hurt you to see him in pain and imagining life without him. I know somebody whose dog developed cancer and she was helpless, and it really hurt the family when she died. Think about how it'll be better that your dog isn't suffering anymore - you've given him the best life he could have had and that's all you can do.

Good luck and stay positive.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you're right. Thanks for the replies
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I dont have a dog, but my aunty does and I know through her how much it must hurt to potentially lose your dog so its ok to feel like that. I dont really know what else to say other than Im really sorry for you. From experience, dont keep your feelings all inside, just have a good cry, it helps a little bit.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't have many things to say to this, I can offer you a bit of advice/support.

My dog also sadly passed away after 13years due to arthiritis getting too severe in her back legs and we had to have her put to sleep. It was a shock to most of us and she was the best thing that ever happened. My parents own a jewellery shop and some people came in armed with guns etc and there she was, she was so brave and in my eyes, saved my dads life.

When she passed away, it was awful, i'm not going to deny it. Its part of life, we live and we die, its inevitable. What you have to think of is doing the best for him, he doesn't want to live his life in pain, but he can't say that to you can he? He may look happy at times, because he is with you but the sadness you see in him is pain and it is clear that it is his time. He has had 16 amazing years with you and your family, now you do him justice and say bye to him. It is hard, i know but you have to be strong for him..

You are certainly not crazy for loving your dog this much, every dog owner feels this way since he has been there for you always. Don't be sad to see him go, its for the best and i'm sure you will learn a lot of things from the whole experience.

I find now, after 9yrs have passed since my first dog was put to sleep, it does get better. Yes, I have days where I can't stop thinking of her and how she would react to the new situations in my life e.g. moving house. The amount of tears I have shed over the past few years over losing my dog was incredible! Its inevitable, you will be able to cope if you stay strong for him. What I found helps is cutting a little bit of fur from your dog and putting it in a picture frame, because then she's always with me and she hasn't gone away. I hope everything goes okay tomorrow, stay strong!
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xPacey)
    I think my dog, my best friend, is dying. He's almost 16 now and arthritis has kicked in. He isn't eating and he has become very skinny. He hasn't eaten properly for 3 days now.
    We are taking him to the vets tomorrow, and to be honest, I think it may be his last day..

I don't know what to do, I don't know how to cope without my buddy. The saddness in his eyes and the thought of him gone makes me so upset I just break down in tears.
    I don't know if this post is appropriate or even what i want to say anymore.. I just want someone to understand and tell me I'm not crazy for hurting this much over a dog.
    The same thing happened a few years ago with my cat, who we'd had since before I was born, it was really really sad but she wasn't enjoying life anymore.

It would be worse for him to stay alive and keep suffering.
    It'll be ok x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by npaul4)
    x
    (Original post by IndiaCaitlinn)
    x
    (Original post by cmoore094)
    x
    Thank you for your replies
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went through the same thing with my old cat! One of my first memories was getting her and she grew up with me and I was devastated when she started having kidney problems in her old age and had to be put down and I had just started 2nd year of uni away from home so I wasn't even there for her

Your doing the right thing though, I've realised that it was better for her that she isn't in any more pain than was needed!

Hope your ok x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly how you feel. My parents had to put my dog down while I was away in my final year of uni. He was two weeks shy of his fifteenth birthday and his arthritis became so bad he just couldn't walk anymore. I was in the library when my mum called to tell me the vet had to do it and I didn't get the message until I came out and switched my phone on - by then it was too late for anything. I felt awful (still do) that he'd been there all those years while I was growing up and when it came to his final moments I wasn't there for him.

I miss him every day, I'm not going to lie, it's hard without him. My mother was devistated, after all to her it was like losing a child for her because she'd raised him, fed him and looked after him since the day we brought him home. The house feels different without him, certain routines at had to change (I'd still get up and open the back door in the morning, for example, when I went home, only to remember he wasn't there).

However, though it feels awful and will always remain a bit painful, you're doing the right thing for your dog. A beloved animal that has had a wonderful life deserves the most comfortable end it can get. The important thing is that you will still have memories, pictures, possibly videos etc. and that your life up until this point has been made brighter by their presence. I think about my dog every day, but two years on I can smile and laugh and recall stories, which are bright in my mind but the pain has lessened somewhat.

I now have a cat called Moses - we just don't feel ready for another dog but wanted to have an animal's presence back in the house - and I love him dearly. He doesn't replace my dog, nothing will, but I love him just as much for his own little characteristics. Even my mum, who was adamant she would never have another pet again, adores the socks off of him!

I am so very sorry that you're probably facing a huge loss to your family and your life. You've given your dog love and that's more than many are lucky enough to have. Try to remember you're doing right by him and remember the good times. Good luck to you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am so sorry to hear that, it's very hard to lose a pet, they become family members to us, and best friends also like in your case.

If he is suffering the vet may recommend to give euthanasia which is very hard and painful for us, the owners, but better for the little guy if he is in so much pain.

My last dog died slowly, they were just a couple weeks but it seemed like forever, she had to be fed with a syringe, and on her last day we were thinking we were going to have to give her a shot, but she passed away at the vet's.

Be strong, your little guy will be free from the pain and he has lived a long and full of love life.

I wish you strength and the best for you, your dog and those that love him.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    My dog had to get put down last year because of arthritis, he was 16. I'm not ashamed to admit I had a bit of a cry lol! Get's better though, still think about him now and then because I'd grown up with him from the age of about 6!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    #firstworldproblems
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat as you at the moment. My dog's 16 and riddled with cancer. He's got the arthritis and the deafness and cateracts. He still eats and can go to the toilet outside but he's lost so much weight, I can feel ALL his bones. He stinks (as old dogs do) and sleeps all day. But i don't think he's in pain. I can't imagine the world without him, as i've had him since i was a small child.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 16, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered animals and pets threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.