The Student Room Group

Contract Law

Hey, I am hoping someone can help.

Man A is ill, he sees Man B and asks if he would be able to carry out a task for him of delivering leaflets, Man B says yes to which Man A sayas thank you and I will repay the favour.
Man B carries out the task, after the task was completed, Man A says you did a great job I shall give you a voucher, come and collect it., Man B turns up and Man A says sorry, I can't afford to give you the voucher.

Advise Man B

Its at Uni Level.......
Do you know what the general rule is regarding 'past consideration'? The voucher was given after the task had already been completed, and there was no promise to give 'a voucher' made before the task.

Do you know the 'exceptions' to the rule regarding past consideration? Here we have a promise that he would 'repay the favour', made before the completion of the act. Are the words used 'repay a favour' enough to make the exception preferrable to the rule (which you will only be able to decide once you go awa and find out what the 'exception' is? How does the fact that this is not an agreement in a 'commercial setting' affect things?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending