The Student Room Group

Grammar Sixth Form Help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
hey,

Im applying to a few grammar schools this October/November and i noticed that a few were the same as you guys,,chances are i will aplly to QMGS, KE5W, KECH and another two.

since i just got my GCSE results i was hoping if you could tell me if ive gt a decent chance of gtin in...im predicted:

A*: biology,chemistry,physics,R.S., psychology,maths(achieved at the start of yr9)
A : English lang, (maybe English Lit)
B : maybe English Lit)
distinction*:BTEC business
distinction:OCR nationals ict - (equivalent as 4gcses,, distinction is he highest grade achievable)

comparing myself to other students i dont have many GCSE's,, will that put me at a disadvantage.
BTW,, im currently doing Alevel maths,, im scoring 90+ in all my exams so far
i would wanna take at alevel:
Maths,FM, Physics, Biology,Chemistry

P.s. those distinctions may look good as equivalents,, but in reality there pretty worthless!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 101
Original post by ryanb97
hey,

Im applying to a few grammar schools this October/November and i noticed that a few were the same as you guys,,chances are i will aplly to QMGS, KE5W, KECH and another two.

since i just got my GCSE results i was hoping if you could tell me if ive gt a decent chance of gtin in...im predicted:

A*:biology,chemistry,physics,R.S., psychology,maths(achieved at the start of yr9)
A:colone:nglish lang, (maybe English Lit)
B:frown:maybe English Lit)
distinction:OCR nationals ict - (equivalent as 4gcses,, distinction is he highest grade achievable)

comparing myself to other students i dont have many GCSE's,, will that put me at a disadvantage.

P.s. those distinctions may look good as equivalents,, but in reality there pretty worthless!

Without hesitation, I'd say you stand a very good chance of getting into all of the aforementioned schools. Your predictions are very good and you're predicted or have achieved A*'s in the subjects you want to study at GCSE level!

Also the fact that you're studying A level Maths already and achieving such high marks indicates that you will achieve the top grades at A level providing you carry on the hard work.

I, myself was rejected from Five ways and Bishop Veseys. There were two possible reasons for this: the first of which is my predicted grades weren't high enough(yours are substantially higher!) OR I didn't interview well, the advice I'd give you is to be yourself! Don't be nervous! Your grades indicate that you are very smart, as long as you confirm this at your interview you'll be fine!

Feel free to PM me if you require further advice :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by ryanb97
hey,

A*:biology,chemistry,physics,R.S., psychology,maths(achieved at the start of yr9)
A:colone:nglish lang, (maybe English Lit)
B:frown:maybe English Lit)

I applied to (and was accepted by) all of the schools you've mentioned so may be able to provide some help. Your predicted grades are very strong, don't worry about too much about the B - I was predicted a B in art and it didn't harm my application in the slightest. The distinctions are pretty worthless as you say, I don't even think I included them on my application form lol.

Provided you manage to write a fairly coherent and interesting personal statement I can say with a fair bit of confidence that they will all give you an interview. The importance of the interview varies at each school, I'd say it matters most at KEFW and matters least at QMGS. If you send me a PM a bit nearer the time I'll give you some detailed info on what to expect from each of the interviews (and maybe even some sneaky tips) :wink:.

I agree whole-heartedly with the post above about you doing a-level maths, it will indicate to the schools that you're more than capable of dealing with the challenge of a grammar school and that will be something which helps you stand out.

Think I've covered everything, if there's anything else you want to know then don't hesitate to ask.

P.S. - Choose Camp Hill :wink:
Reply 103
Thanks for the reply...
I most probably will br asking fr a bit of advice since you guys have been through it all.... I will need to talk to my carrers adviser aswell

P.s. Both of my brothers go to Qmgs so I would wanna go there... Although camp hill is a better grammer I beleive

Thanks again...

:smile:)

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my X10i

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending