Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help! Advice- make up causing spots i think

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I dont wear a lot of make up because i used to have eczema as a child but recently started wearing a full face when i go out or if i can be bothered before work. This includes foundation liquid and powder, blush, concealer eye shadow etc. I usually use a channel moisturiser before i apply my make up but last week i took my makeup off after a night out and found my skin was really dry. I applied a lot of moisturiser that night and woke up fine. Not i seem to have quite a few little spots on one side of my face. They are not big obvious ones just small ones that are hardly visible unless you get close and they seem like they are under the skin.

Today i bought a few moisturisers thinking maybe the make up was drying me out and i needed a stringer cream. I bought a johnsons face day cream and a sensitive skin moisturiser from super drug but im not convinced. Ive never really suffered from spots and its kinda getting me down.

Ive decided that from now on im limiting my makeup to once a week (for work as im working in a school and like to look presentable) and the rest of the week keep using my creams and serums. would a clearusel work and if so any suggestions as to which one i should buy?

Basically i just want to help and advice. Its not awful but i dont like it and what to know the best way to get rid of it, keep it away and any other reasons why it might have come out?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, firstly, it's not usually make up itself that causes break outs. It's often more because of make up left on the skin and not cleansed off properly. It can clog up your pores and therefore cause break outs. So, make sure you have a good routine with a good cleanser and exfoliate once in a while too, just changing moisturiser wont help
    And sometimes its a hormonal thing. Whatever it is, once a pimple shows you can always use witch hazel/tea tree to improve the appearance. Hope this helps??
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It does. Thank you.
    It actually makes a lot of sense. Ive only ever used chanel/dior make up and never had any problem sand always removed my make up thoroughly with Johnson's wipes but recently thoght i would try the primark wipes. Didnt like them but thought i would finish them off before i went and bought any more. They seemed so rough on my face and i needed a lot of them to remove my make up. think i might go back to johnsons.

Also, sounds stupid but how do i exfoliate? i see bottles of it in super drug and boots but how do i apply it and whats the difference between clensing lotions and exfoliates?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    That would make sense, a better wipe will help. Cleansing wipes only do half the job though. You should still use some kind of gentle cleansing lotion after the wipes, toner then moisturise
    Exfoliator sloughs away dead skin cells more thoroughly than cleanser and since it is stronger than cleanser, its good to exfoliate no more than 2 times a week There are so many different types and brands of exfoliator, its a case of finding the right one for you.
    And if you prefer masks, clay masks draws out impurities from your skin (i like soap&glory, or boots botanics). And then you can use moisturising masks for when your skin feels a little dry
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    cool. thanks. I never used to have any of these problems before i started wearing a lot of make up. I used to just clean my face with wipes and then moisturise with day/night creams, now its like i need everything just to maintain what i used to have 6 months ago.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aha, well unfortunately things change!!
    Maybe it's something to do with a change in diet? But your skin doesn't sound like it's changed dramatically or has become more oily or anything. So i wouldnt worry about it too much. There are so many things that can affect our skin it's hard to say exactly what it is!
    Just see how it goes with an updated skin routine for now. Hope it goes well for you!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just to warn you, Clearsil is really bad for people with dry skin as it contains some very nasty chemicals. It even managed to bleach a friend of mine's hair where it touched it!

I have average skin and wearing make up doesn't seem to make it worse, but I still worry that it will make me have a eruption of spots. Just make sure you clean it all off properly, especially after nights out when you cba to take it off before bed.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsGirl)
    Hi
    I dont wear a lot of make up because i used to have eczema as a child but recently started wearing a full face when i go out or if i can be bothered before work. This includes foundation liquid and powder, blush, concealer eye shadow etc. I usually use a channel moisturiser before i apply my make up but last week i took my makeup off after a night out and found my skin was really dry. I applied a lot of moisturiser that night and woke up fine. Not i seem to have quite a few little spots on one side of my face. They are not big obvious ones just small ones that are hardly visible unless you get close and they seem like they are under the skin.

Today i bought a few moisturisers thinking maybe the make up was drying me out and i needed a stringer cream. I bought a johnsons face day cream and a sensitive skin moisturiser from super drug but im not convinced. Ive never really suffered from spots and its kinda getting me down.

Ive decided that from now on im limiting my makeup to once a week (for work as im working in a school and like to look presentable) and the rest of the week keep using my creams and serums. would a clearusel work and if so any suggestions as to which one i should buy?

Basically i just want to help and advice. Its not awful but i dont like it and what to know the best way to get rid of it, keep it away and any other reasons why it might have come out?

Hmm wht helps me is that when i break out, i stay away from make-up for atleast a week and just apply moisturiser. It helps to clear the skin and polish it back to normal!
    Just my tip anyway....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys. Its actually cleared up now. All i did was left off the makeup (except for one day at work) and then kept moisturising.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 23, 2012
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.