The Student Room Group

How much time to people spend thinking?

I was just wondering this, because, I mean, I don't know how other people think, and was wondering how normal/abnormal this is.

When I say thinking I mean just completely stopping everything, perhaps with the exception of music, and I don't mean things like lying in bed thinking before going to sleep, I mean actively taking time out to just stop and ponder. I'm spending at least four hours a day doing this. Usually in straight two or three hour blocks at the beginning and end of the day.

I'm sure everyone does it, I'm just wondering to what extent? It's quite irritating that I practically wipe out at least four hours of my day just on doing nothing apart from thinking.
Reply 1
what do u think about?
Reply 2
I spend maybe 2 hours a day doing this...I think about stuff much further above my station, stuff I can't ever change, thinking about famines and wars and why such a large majority of people seem to not care.

or I think if other people think at all, they seem so wrapped up in their own world much of the time I wonder if they can think of anything outside their own life.

thinking is good but, can be so depressing, if you think too long on stuff it all starts to seem utterly pointless
Reply 3
Original post by Jim_Reid
I spend maybe 2 hours a day doing this...I think about stuff much further above my station, stuff I can't ever change, thinking about famines and wars and why such a large majority of people seem to not care.

or I think if other people think at all, they seem so wrapped up in their own world much of the time I wonder if they can think of anything outside their own life.

thinking is good but, can be so depressing, if you think too long on stuff it all starts to seem utterly pointless

I spend at least several hours a day thinking about how bad it is that other people spend their time thinking about how bad it is that other people don't spend enough time thinking instead of actually doing something that is worth doing.
Reply 4
Original post by Aesop
I spend at least several hours a day thinking about how bad it is that other people spend their time thinking about how bad it is that other people don't spend enough time thinking instead of actually doing something that is worth doing.

then it depends what you think is worth doing?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I was just wondering this, because, I mean, I don't know how other people think, and was wondering how normal/abnormal this is.

When I say thinking I mean just completely stopping everything, perhaps with the exception of music, and I don't mean things like lying in bed thinking before going to sleep, I mean actively taking time out to just stop and ponder. I'm spending at least four hours a day doing this. Usually in straight two or three hour blocks at the beginning and end of the day.

I'm sure everyone does it, I'm just wondering to what extent? It's quite irritating that I practically wipe out at least four hours of my day just on doing nothing apart from thinking.

Yeah, I do this, I'm trying to combat this by living in the moment. I didn't realy know how to until I searched how to on the internet. Maybe try it?
i think alot throughout the day, without setting aside a special time for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending