Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you could choose to live in any country what would it be?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Australia
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Umm........ no....... i think Canada.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    How is it possible to live in a foreign country? Can anyone do it, or do you need some kind of qualification/reason?

I presume wanting to living in Thailand because it's hotter than the UK is not going to give you a Thai passport any time soon...

I would love to work in the hotel industry in Asia, have no idea how to go about doing this though...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferdowsi)
    Not at the moment no. Why?
    well, because you say "we" .
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    france! dont know why but i just LOVE that country
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Somewhere pretty rural in Northern Scandinavia where I could see the northern lights clearly. Wooden chalets, snow and Fir trees and all that jazz, I love that.

East coast of Australia maybe.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    the UK.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    How is it possible to live in a foreign country? Can anyone do it, or do you need some kind of qualification/reason?

I presume wanting to living in Thailand because it's hotter than the UK is not going to give you a Thai passport any time soon...

I would love to work in the hotel industry in Asia, have no idea how to go about doing this though...
    Unless the country has an an agreement with your country, you'll need a Visa.

Depending on the country, they'll let you in freely if you can prove you have a decent amount in your savings (for insurance and stuff) or in the case of a country like the US, you'd need to have a highly-skilled job waiting for you or be
    'extraordinary' (i.e a celebrity or a diplomat)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably i shall not stay in a single location but travel all around the world. Planet Earth is just beautiful...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    All I want is a big ass mountain.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veale)
    well, because you say "we" .
    wut????
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    wut????
    When we win our freedom, Iran will be a great place. It has incredible potential.
    Which is slightly hypocrite since u live in the West.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veale)
    Which is slightly hypocrite since u live in the West.
    dude what the hell are you talking about? :confused::confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    dude what the hell are you talking about? :confused::confused:
    That I think it is hypocrite to talk about "when we win our freedom it is a great place".
    You talk about as if you actually live in Iran, which you don`t.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veale)
    That I think it is hypocrite to talk about "when we win our freedom it is a great place".
    You talk about as if you actually live in Iran, which you don`t.
    Whaaaat the fook are you talking about? I honestly haven't a clue what you are talking about?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ontario, Canada/ Munich, Germany/ Liverpool, UK (my hometown, where all my family are)

I really love Tokyo but i think it may be too much of a culture shock for myself! and the language is awfully difficult!

I hate London though....NEVER.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Bungle)
    Unless the country has an an agreement with your country, you'll need a Visa.

Depending on the country, they'll let you in freely if you can prove you have a decent amount in your savings (for insurance and stuff) or in the case of a country like the US, you'd need to have a highly-skilled job waiting for you or be
    'extraordinary' (i.e a celebrity or a diplomat)
    What is a decent amount? Are we talking a few grand? Or a hundred grand?
    I'm a recent graduate, not a millionaire.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    One of the Nordic countries. They all score high in statistics, such as healthcare, and they all seem very wealthy countries (considering their populations). People I know from those countries also seem to be some of the most tolerant people in the world, and devout theism is almost non-existent in the Nordic countries which I also like. Sweden or Finland would be my first choices since I love their languages

But as much as people complain about the UK, when compared to other countries around the world, I'm pretty happy in the UK too I guess.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    There was a scene in top gears Vietnam special where they showed the islands.... They were so amazing, living a carefree life in there sounds absolutely amazing...I'm probably not realising the disadvantages but if there were none, it would be a dream to live somewhere like that... Forget the cities
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewk)
    Wow i just thought it was just me who loved the Nordic countries, looks like I was wrong... but anyway I too would chose to live in the one of the Nordic countries. (Sweden or Finland would be first choice since I love their languages )
    Sweden is really cool, I prefer Germany because it has bigger cities.

I think Germany is one of the best countries in the world - I love Berlin and Munich.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 19, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.