The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by innerhollow
I apologise that my not being miserable and bitter with my life is "glorifying" the uni. Clearly my contentment is just a pretense designed to conceal the horrible, torturous chasm of death that is Imperial College. Flee, kids, it's a trap!

/sarcasm

:rofl:

Wow touchy are we! Where did I in my post state I was aiming that at you? Or have you just admitted you're "glorifying" the uni?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by f1mad
:rofl:

Wow touchy are we! Where did I in my post state I was aiming that at you? Or have you just admitted you're "glorifying" the uni?

Lol I wasn't really annoyed, was just trying to make a joke of it. Glad you found it funny at least.

I'd be surprised if the comment wasn't partly aimed at me. I don't admit to "glorifying" the uni, I've shared some of my personal experiences here as honestly as possible, that's all; but obviously people interpret things in different ways.
Reply 182
I'm glad I'm not the only one on here that liked Imperial. In fact I loved it. Yes some of the teaching was pretty awful (but ironically the professor who was the worst was a great guy. Some of us went out drinking with him.)

It's absolutely right for people to make (constructive) comments about the teaching of their course and for that to be rectified. Imperial is consistently an outlier in the satisfaction surveys and despite the flaws in the survey, it must be pointing towards something. But there are examples of teaching where it looks things are changing.

But be careful of conflating your bad experience with everyone else's. It's easy to be disillusioned by how tough the courses are, or how much work you are doing compared to a person in university X. The harsh truth is, you went to Imperial because it is a world class university and just like any other world class university, it will make you work hard. Exam period was hell, but then its hell at all good universities. Its a price we pay for having half a brain - somewhere universities got the idea that we actually like to use it.

When I look through CV's and see an Imperial graduate, I know what I am getting - a high calibre, intelligent person who knows the meaning of hard work to get the degree class they've got. Imperial grads are highly employable, and whilst there are great people at every university, few universities can compare with Imperial for employability. I was lucky to graduate just before the recession but in my year I know at least 7 people earning £100k+, another 5 who have been early promoted in their job and another 20 or so who have landed a position in a leading company.

If you didn't like Imperial because of the social life, that's one thing (clearly this has to be a personal opinion). All I can say is that I did a maths degree and was invited to plenty of house parties throughout my time there - so much so that most people in maths didn't bother going to lectures in the fourth year.

But to hate the courses - sorry, that makes little sense to me. Now I'm in a job with graduates from all over the world (but mostly Oxbridge/LSE folk) I can honestly say Imperial is up there with them in every respect. In fact, I'm pretty happy with my choice not to go to Cambridge over Imperial. I learnt plenty from my degree and can honestly say that I find my professional exams easier than pretty much everyone else I've spoken to. And that includes every Oxbridge graduate I've met.

Ironically I've not been asked to take the satisfaction survey either. Maybe Imperial just doesn't care about it?
Reply 183
Original post by shamika

But be careful of conflating your bad experience with everyone else's. It's easy to be disillusioned by how tough the courses are, or how much work you are doing compared to a person in university X.

This part is ironic. How easy it is to turn your argument upside down really.

When I look through CV's and see an Imperial graduate, I know what I am getting - a high calibre, intelligent person who knows the meaning of hard work to get the degree class they've got. Imperial grads are highly employable, and whilst there are great people at every university, few universities can compare with Imperial for employability. I was lucky to graduate just before the recession but in my year I know at least 7 people earning £100k+, another 5 who have been early promoted in their job and another 20 or so who have landed a position in a leading company.

And how do you measure this? How do you know their performance there reflects what they learned in the College?

If you didn't like Imperial because of the social life, that's one thing (clearly this has to be a personal opinion). All I can say is that I did a maths degree and was invited to plenty of house parties throughout my time there - so much so that most people in maths didn't bother going to lectures in the fourth year.

Good for you? So? You think everyone has the same luck as you? Living in a rose-tinted glass aren't we?

But to hate the courses - sorry, that makes little sense to me.

Because you're living in a delusional world that's why. I bet you're one of those people who are arrogant enough to blab about their education education and education and no nothing to talk about other than your own education.

You know nothing about the other side of other people's experience. That's why your 'sense' is limited. If I were an employer, I won't take you to be my employee. Your arrogance is just a waste of the company's time and resources.

Now I'm in a job with graduates from all over the world (but mostly Oxbridge/LSE folk) I can honestly say Imperial is up there with them in every respect. In fact, I'm pretty happy with my choice not to go to Cambridge over Imperial. I learnt plenty from my degree and can honestly say that I find my professional exams easier than pretty much everyone else I've spoken to. And that includes every Oxbridge graduate I've met.

So if you're that smart and successful, why are you on TSR?

Seriously your post shows you know nothing about education and preaching something that people shouldn't take seriously.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 184
Original post by kka25
This part is ironic. How easy it is to turn your argument upside down really.

I'm not pretending that Imperial is a magical place, just that not everyone has a bad time there. One counter-example is enough to disprove that n

Original post by kka25

And how do you measure this? How do you know their performance there reflects what they learned in the College?

Again, I'm not pretending it does. All I was pointing out was that these people went to Imperial as opposed to any other university, and they've done well. You're right that the inference doesn't necessarily follow that Imperial had much to do with it, but you would be hard pushed to convince many people that Imperial had little to do with that.

Original post by kka25

Good for you? So? You think everyone has the same luck as you? Living in a rose-tinted glass aren't we?

It's not my fault that you weren't/aren't invited! Surely I'm allowed to share my experience of Imperial just as you are yours!

Original post by kka25
Because you're living in a delusional world that's why. I bet you're one of those people who are arrogant enough to blab about their education education and education and no nothing to talk about other than your own education.

LOL! Um, OK... I don't really know what to say to that.

Original post by kka25
You no nothing about the other side of other people's experience. That's why your 'sense' is limited. If I were an employer, I won't take you to be my employee. Your arrogance is just a waste of the company's time and resources.

Sorry, what's arrogant about liking my course and the friends I made on it, and then sharing that experience?

I'm not saying your views aren't valid, just that they aren't the same as mine.

Original post by kka25

Because I am sitting the world's most tedious exam in two weeks and this is a great place to procrastinate :smile:

Original post by kka25
Seriously your post shows you know nothing about education and preaching something that people shouldn't take seriously.

What, that working hard and enjoying your course are bad things? I'm confused...
Reply 185
Original post by shamika
I'm not pretending that Imperial is a magical place, just that not everyone has a bad time there. One counter-example is enough to disprove that n

What a funny response.

Again, I'm not pretending it does. All I was pointing out was that these people went to Imperial as opposed to any other university, and they've done well.

You mean those small number of people you provided us with? Yes that does reflect the satisfaction rate at IC.

You're right that the inference doesn't necessarily follow that Imperial had much to do with it, but you would be hard pushed to convince many people that Imperial had little to do with that.

People who want to hear one sided view like you, you mean? Of course.

It's not my fault that you weren't/aren't invited! Surely I'm allowed to share my experience of Imperial just as you are yours!

?

Who said you aren't allowed to share your experience. Your argument is like a 10 year old really. Read back what I wrote carefully dear.

LOL! Um, OK... I don't really know what to say to that.

Imagine that during an interview while applying for jobs. Or your exam that is coming in.

Sorry, what's arrogant about liking my course and the friends I made on it, and then sharing that experience?

Do I need to spoon feed you? I thought you're an IC student! Go read it by your own!

I'm not saying your views aren't valid, just that they aren't the same as mine.

Red herring?

Really? World most tedious eh? Well you don't need luck; you're after all an IC student who thinks they can answer better than the Oxbridge students; an employable IC students, bla bla bla.

What, that working hard and enjoying your course are bad things? I'm confused...

Ah, typical student. Still needs to be babied :rolleyes:
Original post by kka25
Ah, typical student. Still needs to be babied :rolleyes:

You've finished a Masters in Computer Science at Imperial haven't you?
I'm quite surprised you had such a bad time. Most of the people I know from the higher years seem to have enjoyed the course.
Granted, the people I know have done their UG at Imperial and by the time they've reached their 4th year they were used to the quality of the lecturers and lack of support. Still it seems like your account of the course is dramatically different from theirs.

So far, I've only seen you commenting on other people's opinions. Is there a chance you could elaborate on your experiences? They are particularly interesting to me, as I'm a CS student myself.
Reply 187
Original post by kka25

Right back at ya. Seems to me like your reason for sticking around is to spit anger at a university for it's lack of social life. Considering the university in question is located in central London, one question comes to mind - did you not have any friends?
Reply 188
Original post by freefrag
You've finished a Masters in Computer Science at Imperial haven't you?
I'm quite surprised you had such a bad time. Most of the people I know from the higher years seem to have enjoyed the course.

How many? Can you trust them? Do you know them personally? Dig and dig deeper, you'd find something else.

Granted, the people I know have done their UG at Imperial and by the time they've reached their 4th year they were used to the quality of the lecturers and lack of support. Still it seems like your account of the course is dramatically different from theirs.

I would think this post says it all about the College?

So far, I've only seen you commenting on other people's opinions. Is there a chance you could elaborate on your experiences? They are particularly interesting to me, as I'm a CS student myself.

Well, I think I did comment on the College throughout other post and I've agreed to some of the other posters here. Don't think I'd elaborate again =/

Latest

Trending

Trending