The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Anyone going to BISMUN??? Bath Conference?

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone else was going to Bath MUN Conference. I am representing the Honduras 'worst luck' and i was wondering how much research you are doing and what the conference is like as i have never been to one and the teacher leading my group is... flaky. Anyone got any info on child soldiers, arms trade and 'non proliferation of weapons of mass distruction'.
Reply 1
huh?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Mazraz
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone else was going to Bath MUN Conference. I am representing the Honduras 'worst luck' and i was wondering how much research you are doing and what the conference is like as i have never been to one and the teacher leading my group is... flaky. Anyone got any info on child soldiers, arms trade and 'non proliferation of weapons of mass distruction'.

I think UNHCR did a report on the first topic. The last two are kind of broad.
Yup A load of us from our school our going, representing Panama and Zimbabwe.
Not going this year, but used to go when I was in sixth form. It's best to research most of the topics from your committee in depth and your country's views on them (look at their constitution and the UN website). If you have a fair idea of their policy, you could write out a few points you want to make on things that might come up. Good general knowledge of other country's policies is useful too (so you're prepared and can catch them out :tongue: ) but don't worry about that too much.
Reply 5
Original post by Mazraz

Hey, I'm Russia on your committee :smile: I've been generally researching Russia's relations with the countries involved, and trying to write a resolution on child soldiers.
Don't know whether you've already seen then briefing sheet:
http://www.kingswood.bath.sch.uk/events/Model_United_Nations_2012.php

Gives a really good outline and some websites to carry on your research. Good luck and I look forward to meeting you!
Reply 6
Original post by Mazraz

Hi Mazraz
BISMUN is awesome!- Do not worry about the research too much. I'm Head Chair of the Security Council, but chaired the Disarmament Committee last year (the committee I presume you are in?)- disarmament is great fun, and the Chairs this year are lovely.
If you really don't know anything about how an MUN debate works there are plenty of resources available online or I can PM you something.
The Conference itself starts off with everyone meeting in the Sports Hall for speeches etc before going off into your separate committees for lobbying.
Saturday starts at around 10pm and is finished by around 5pm- you will debate resolutions on all of your topics, but don't worry you get breaks!
Sunday is the Emergency Scenario day where you will have to come up with a solution to a problem (eg a war starting) in your committee. We then all gather together again in the afternoon.

What I would say is make sure you meet loads of people, and get involved- even if you just shout out "point of personal privalege"!

Any more questions- PM me- more than happy to help!
Reply 7
Original post by 99price
Hi Mazraz
BISMUN is awesome!- Do not worry about the research too much. I'm Head Chair of the Security Council, but chaired the Disarmament Committee last year (the committee I presume you are in?)- disarmament is great fun, and the Chairs this year are lovely.
If you really don't know anything about how an MUN debate works there are plenty of resources available online or I can PM you something.
The Conference itself starts off with everyone meeting in the Sports Hall for speeches etc before going off into your separate committees for lobbying.
Saturday starts at around 10pm and is finished by around 5pm- you will debate resolutions on all of your topics, but don't worry you get breaks!
Sunday is the Emergency Scenario day where you will have to come up with a solution to a problem (eg a war starting) in your committee. We then all gather together again in the afternoon.

What I would say is make sure you meet loads of people, and get involved- even if you just shout out "point of personal privalege"!

ive never been before either. do you know the topics for human rights? and could you pm me anywhere i can find things to review before friday? thankyou. Btw everyone my school is representing Burundi, Switzerland and The Vatican City. im HR for Burundi.
Reply 8
Original post by lildannyd12
ive never been before either. do you know the topics for human rights? and could you pm me anywhere i can find things to review before friday? thankyou. Btw everyone my school is representing Burundi, Switzerland and The Vatican City. im HR for Burundi.

All of the background reading, with links for further reading can be found here
http://www.kingswood.bath.sch.uk/events/Model_United_Nations_2012.php

Ohhh the Vatican- you can't vote can you?
Reply 9
Original post by 99price

Ohhh the Vatican- you can't vote can you?

im not sure. i think burundi can. i would have to double check vatican
Reply 10
Original post by 99price
Hi Mazraz

LOL... I'm Pakistan from SC, and was Somalia in your disarmament committee last year! The only conference in the world where I am vilified. Just wondering, how did the chairs decide who was 'best young delegate in the conference'? Because that's so difficult to compare between Security Council and Africa. Somebody from my school won it so good for him, but it makes no sense.

Quick Reply

Latest